May 02, 2011

Sharing Lincoln Park

A Joint Administration
with Old Lake View
1870 to about 1910ish
(click to enlarge images)
Before the annexation of 1889 the citizens of both Township/City of Lake View and the then Township of North Chicago paid for the maintenance of the park space though property taxation and were members of a governing board that had political authority to expand the park north & south.
This book highlights the relationship with park called Lincoln and the township/city of Lake View from its early days to the publication of this book in 1899, a good read. The book is also report of the progress made that year. The first section is a comprehensive history of the park followed by section called Shore Protection (view pages below). There is equally interesting history of Lake Shore Drive along with smaller sections on the Animal Department & Floral Department.
(click on below image to enlarge)
page one 
image -'Lincoln Park 1899'
Lincoln Park - Harper's Weekly 1887
In 1853 the State of Illinois granted Chicago land from North to Fullerton avenues setting the stage for the ownership of Lincoln Park, the park. This area was known as North Chicago Township that still serves as a property taxing body in Illinois. With the establishment of Lincoln Park as a park the citizens of North Chicago Township paid the total cost of maintenance for the park land. When the park extended northward past Fullerton Avenue the citizens of both North Chicago and the Township of Lake View paid for the park. The City of Chicago would only contribute cost for police protection for the park. The cost matrix's of the park would change in the 20th century where by the citizens of Chicago would pay for the total costs of the ever expanding park under the authority of a State of Illinois governing body called the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners. Below is a map of the townships within the City of Chicago.
1887 Sanborn Fire Map - Historic Map Works
This area west of Lake View Avenue was annex by the City of Chicago, once part of the Township of Lake View during this time period to be used for the park.
This post is a detailed historical review of the relationship between two governmental units - Township/City of Lake View and the City of Chicago with the park, Lincoln Park
Lake View Township/City and the City of Chicago had joint administration of the park from early 1870's to 1889 along with the Township of North Chicago. After the annexation the old guard of 5 members remained on the Board years evan after some bitter political infighting about representative taxation. In the early 1870's the expansion of the park was routed north of Webster Avenue to Fullerton and then to Diversey Avenue (Parkway). Fullerton Avenue as of 1853 was always the southern border between Lake View Township and Chicago until the annexation of 1889. During this time period the park would be populated with monuments mostly of literary masters of Europe that was approved by the Lincoln Board of Commissioners. When the park's geography was changed north of Fullerton Avenue the Lincoln Park Zoo, that was established in 1868, also was shared same Board. The Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners remains today as a functional entity but with much less political authority.
The other sections in this post are 'Monuments of the Park', 'Lincoln Park Zoo', the 'Conservatory', and finally an interest segment called 'The Lake Shore Ditch' that was established before the park was established to mitigate water overflow. 
1893 photo - Detroit Publishing
This 1853 map highlights the area before the establishment
of Lake View Township (1857-87) & the park itself
University of Alabama Digital Collection 
via Phelps Fanning & Company
Notes: Green Bay Road became Clark Street; Little Fort Road became Lincoln Avenue by the end of the 19th century.
An Account 1893
Chicago, The Garden City
 by Andreas Simon  
Mr. W.C.Goudy was a resident of Lake View Township who was the first president of the original Lincoln Park Board
Let's Begin ...
A park called Lincoln Park was established by the State of Illinois in 1869. This small park would a decade later absorbed the 60 acre cemetery called simply 'Chicago Cemetery' as well as the existing Catholic and Jewish cemeteries. Later in the 20th century the park space expanded northward along the lakefront. The Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners, the governing body for the parkland and the roadways along the lakefront, planned for the park's expansion northward along with the expansion of 'North-Lake Shore Drive'. The Board of 5 members would link the then 120 acre park to the city's neighbor to the north - the Township of Lake View by the early 1870's. While the membership of the Board was split between representatives of Chicago and the old township the maintenance and expansion revenue was split between two assessors, Lake View and North Chicago townships. Early Chicago was comprised of North, West,& South Chicago townships -all current taxing bodies for property assessment. 
This 1863 Charles Shober map shows the original park space (yellow), Chicago Cemetery (green), and Catholic Cemetery (yellow) south of the park space.
The zoomed version of the 1863 map of the original park space that apparently shows some sort of rain water drainage system called Lake Shore Ditch later be called the '10 mile ditch'. University of Chicago Digital Map Collection
The original design of the park space by landscape 
by gardener Swain Nelson
image - The Cultural Landmark Fountain
The land was not located in the City of Chicago but the Township of North Chicago & maintained by the citizens of that township through property taxes and called 'Lake Park'.
Below are a set of articles 
that indicated the Chicago's vision/dream of a 'drive' 
and upon that drive expanded park space beginning with
1867  The 'Avenue' along the Shore
1868 image - University of Chicago Digital Map Collection
This 1868 Charles Shober map shows the annexation of Chicago Cemetery and an apparent conversion of the old cemeteries below Lincoln Park. Zoom with a view of the this 1869 map that in detail highlights Lake View Township.
The Citizens of Lake View get their Pond 
- the North Pond 
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
1882  The linked road from the park to the 
Township of Lake View planned
This last article demonstrates that the township and years later the City of Lake View were interested in a roadway along the lakefront as well. Under the Lincoln Park Act of 1869 a small section of land that was currently part of the township (north of Fullerton Avenue to Diversey) was granted to the Lincoln Park Commission. Because of that the commissioners were chosen ... half from the City of Chicago and and the other half from the Township/City of Lake View so to supervise the expansion and maintenance of the park
& the planned 'avenue' northward on newly land-filled space.
1877  Chicago Cemetery 
begins to disappear from the landscape
 O.W. Gray and Son via 1876 U. of Alabama Digital maps
These edited Chicago city maps shows the transformation from cemetery and the initial park space
O.W. Gray and Son via 1883 U. of Alabama Digital maps
this edited map highlights the park beyond Fullerton Avenue
edit image - University of Alabama Digital Maps
This Rand McNally map (produced before annexation) shows that Lincoln Park was located both in City of Chicago 
and the City of Lake View before June 1889 - annexation

The extension phases 1863-73
image - Art Institute of Chicago via Explore Chicago
(click on image to enlarge)
The original park space was small compared to its current size and design - the park between Fullerton and Diversey Parkway was redesigned during the expansion and extension of Lake Shore Drive by 1942. 
Early Maps via Chicagology
 1863 to the right & 1870 to the left from North to Diversey 
 the park in 1873 from North Avenue to Diversey
the park space in 1899
The original park space had neighbors to its' south - 
Chicago CemeteryCatholic Cemetery, and a smaller private Jewish cemetery as well as a space for the confederate Civil War dead. The original space expanded first south so to absorb the former cemeteries. The Catholic Cemetery was the last piece to be annexed and converted into park space. The Catholic cardinals residences marks the south end of their former cemetery. 
postcard - CashCow
Built on of the old Catholic Cemetery on North Avenue was the residence of of the first Catholic cardinal in Chicago, Archbishop Feehan (1880-1902) 
Governance of the Park:
The Lincoln Park Board 
of Commissioners in 1889
The Township of Lake View became a city for only two years between 1887-89. The city was annexed to the City of Chicago in 1889. When the two year old city was annexed in 1889 the existing Lincoln Park board members became citizens of Chicago but the new Chicagoan loyalties were squarely with the old city and with its new political clout would be a force to be reckon with in Chicago's city hall almost a decade after into the early 20th century. 
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
The image above is the first expenditure of the Lincoln Board of Commissioners with resident of Lake View Township - John B Turner as treasurer
above image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
the below image is the park in the 1880's - Ebay
In 1887 May 
 The article below is about the plan 
to build this new roadway along the lakefront
1887 December
Citizens of the City of Lake View
 begin to complain about the park's levies (taxes)
Park Tax Summary
1870-1899
(click to enlarge image)
existing shoreline before the outer drive & Sheridan Road
1894 Sanborn Fire Map
zoomed jpeg - University of Alabama Digital Maps
This edited 1889 shows the park and the then southern section of City of Lake View (1887-1889). While the park was geographically part of the City of Chicago the administration of the park was still governed by the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners still shared with the political heavy weights of the officials from newly formed District of Lake View.
a 1893 Rand McNalley map zoomed
zoomed photo - University of Chicago Digital Maps
The original lakeside road through the park was called 'Breakwater Carriage Drive and Sidewalk Drive' and created as a sorta land-made protection from the storms of the lake
View of roadway between the lagoons & lake from the then existing 'High Bridge' pictured in this 1908 postcard - Ebay 
 The City takes claim to the Waters 
off the Shoreline in 1889
image - Lincoln Park 1899
a closer view below toward Diversey Street (Parkway)
image University of Chicago Digital Collection
The blueprint lithograph - mid 1880's. The park is extended to Diversey Street (Parkway) with plans to establish a lagoon at Diversey and Belmont Avenues. Diversey was to be the final parks/boulevard link of the city's boulevard system - it did not happen. Diversey was called a street, avenue, boulevard and final a 'parkway to the park'. In fact, I published a post within the blog about the proposed Diversey Boulevard link to the Boulevard System of south, west, north park lands.
The original entrance to the park at St. James Place
 images - 'Lincoln Park 1899'

 below photo Detroit Publishing via Ebay
Plan to Expand the Park
 to Belmont Avenue in 1893
below image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
The Old guard is Out 
per New Governor
 in 1894
The representatives from old Lake View were not happy
 page 2
 images - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
Extend the 'Drive' North to Diversey
 
The Battle for the Park in 1897
below image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
Compromise Reached in 1897
for Control of the Board
At this time the mayor of Chicago was trying to diminish the political power of the officials from old Lake View by adding more members to the board of commissioners
above image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
below image of the park - Ebay
 the ponds and land surrounding them
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
photo: Detroit Publishing Co., Publisher. [Chicago, Ill., the lagoon, Lincoln Park] [between and 1910, 1890] 
image - Library of Congress
In 1877, Birch Canal was created, connecting Lincoln Park’s North Pond to other water-bodies, which were later reshaped and designated the Swan Pond and Waterfowl Lagoon. Around these constructed water features, several animal enclosures and buildings were built, and the zoo evolved to include Victorian gardens, undulating topography, meandering paths, rustic bridges, and stands of mature trees. Rather than being set apart from the larger Lincoln Park landscape, the zoological collections were integrated into the park without fences or admission fees. By the early 1900's, enclosures for bears, bison, birds, and sea lions were complemented by pavilions, restaurants, comfort stations, and the Prairie-style Café Brauer, designed by Dwight Perkins and completed in 1908.
'Boat Harbor' probably along the canal
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
probably a photo of the Water Station used to maintain 
the property within the park
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
1891 photo - Chicago History Museum
 the Conservatory (Palm House) building and its' gardens
the original animal house
images - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
along with a small building

photo of visitors in 1900 - Chicago History Museum
the inventory of animals in 1899
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
image below - Chicago History Museum
A Public Interest Story:
 The 'King of the Park' is Gone 1901
below image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
  The Lincoln Park Police Force
(click to enlarge)
images - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
Bridges in the Park
High Bridge 1894-1919
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
The High Bridge was located between North and Fullerton Avenues until it was coined Suicide Bridge due to the number of folks jumping off the bridge into the lagoon.
photo - University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign
canoeing in 1906 with the High Bridge in the background
Chicago History Museum via Explore Chicago Collection
1901 Taxes Raised
for the citizens of old Lake View
The Chicago Academy of Sciences
This is the second building that opened in 1894
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
1902 Asking Lake View to Vote for Increase
This 1897-99 Rand McNally map 
University of Chicago Digital Collection
This map indicates the proposed extension of the park northward to Belmont Avenue The Diversey & Belmont lagoons were planned. Belmont and Diversey would become 'Yacht Harbors'. Belmont's opened to the public in 1913.
1903 Beach Landfill at Diversey 


Canoes in the Lagoons in 1902


 part 2
 Canoe and Boat Club by 1908

Old Lake View still Pays for the Park
Lake View, even after the annexation of 1889, still paid for the improvements at Lincoln Park along with citizens of northern Chicago (North Chicago Township). The State of Illinois law of 1869 dictates that these two governmental entities North Chicago Township & Lake View Township are obligated to use their property assessment tactics to collect. 


Some Sample Postcards of the Park 
from my personal collection
(scroll down for this one)



 Lake Michigan Coast Chart in 1903
shows the existing lakefront (at the time) along with the old Lake View Water Works Crib - (link to post)
1904 Riparian Rights Concerns
Who Owns it Now?
 Planned Bathing Beach 
from Fullerton to Diversey in 1910
(Belmont Yacht Harbor opened in 1913)
1911 U.S. Engineer Department Map
This is a 1911 U.S. Engineer Department map of the 
existing lakefront. The blue area indicated a depth of 10 feet of water, pinkish area indicate at least 21 feet, and the outer green more than 21 feet. The park ended at Diversey Avenue while Belmont (Yacht ) Harbor opened to the public in 1913.
Shoring up the Lakefront
images from a book called 
'Lincoln Park 1899'
(click on image to enlarge)
page 2

page 3

 page 4
 page 5

 page 6
 page 8
The Shoreline History
by the City of Chicago
a 1898 lakestorm destroyed everything along the shoreline
The sorta permanent seawall on along the shoreline along with RR tracks that were mounted on it was damaged.
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
'The process of planning, development and construction of the lakefront took place over several decades. Shoreline expansion started in the 1890's in the areas that would become Grant Park and Streeterville. However, the major shoreline expansion took place between 1920 and 1940. The process of building out the land along the Lake Michigan shoreline involved driving an outer line of bulkheads away from the original shoreline and then filling behind it with material dredged from the Lake Michigan bottom, sand from the Indiana shoreline, general construction debris, alley waste and even debris from the Chicago Fire, in places up to a mile away from the original shoreline. In 1910, the construction of the existing shoreline protection structures began. From 1910 to 1931, the shoreline protection structures were built along the lakefront from the north side of the city to the south.' Read & view more from the link above.

WPA Project 1937-1942
A More Direct Roadway Link Though the Park
It finally took destructive storms in 1929 in both Spring and Autumn along will stimulus monies during the depression of the 1930's to realign a more direct roadway link around the park. This new link finally and directly link-up the Loop area of the city to its northernmost point at the time Foster Avenue. The federal government granted construction aid between 1937-1942 to not only widen but expand further the Drive along the shore. The federal dollars were used to realign the existing park - call it a modern- day stimulus package directly from the Federal government.
 Pre-realigned image of the park space as of 1935
Lincoln Park realignment by 1942 post alignment
- both photos Hidden Truth
So, by 1942 parkland and harbors were created by landfill along the man-made shoreline with governmental assistance where, at one time, there were cliff formations, small bluffs, and street-end beaches (my other blog post). 
North Shore Drive
The other responsibility of the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners was the construction of a roadway along the lakefront. We know this road as Lake Shore Drive.
(click to enlarge image)
images - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
The Lincoln Park Zoo
1902 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
1903 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
Cy DeVry feeding a peccary from a bottle in 1903 
Chicago History Museum via Explore Chicago Collection
1909 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
'The zoo was founded in 1868, when the Lincoln Park [Board of] Commissioners were given a gift of a pair of swans by Central Park's Board of Commissioners - New York City. In 1874 the swans were joined by a bear cub from the Philadelphia Zoo; the first animal purchased for the zoo. The bear became quite adept at escaping from its' home and could frequently be found roaming Lincoln Park at night.' [from 1873 Chicago & Lake View Township had joint responsibility of the park/zoo through the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners] - Wikipedia edited
image below - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
Population of the Zoo in 1893
Chicago, The Garden City by Andreas Simon 1893
(click on image to enlarge)
Another Perspective in 1899

 images - Lincoln Park 1899



Contributions to the Zoo in 1899
 Some Early Postcards of the Zoo
from my personal collection


A new arrival in 1937

The Conservatory

 The original conservatory was called the 'Palm House'
and its outside garden



A New Palm House
the new building, constructed by 1893
 images - Chicago, The Garden City by Andrea's Simon
‘The Lincoln Park Commission constructed the Lincoln Park Conservatory in phases between 1890 and 1895, replacing a small greenhouse that dated from the 1870s. Nationally renowned architect Joseph Lyman Silsbee designed the Conservatory in collaboration with architect M.E. Bell. A "paradise under glass," the Conservatory supported 
"a luxuriant tropical growth, blending the whole into a natural grouping of Nature’s loveliest forms. "Historically, aquatic plants propagated in tanks in the Conservatory were planted outside, in artificially-heated lily ponds. The exotic plants were so popular that in 1897 the Egyptian government requested seeds from Lincoln Park's water lilies. The rocky-edged ponds once meandered along what is now the fence line of the Lincoln Park Zoo.’ - Chicago Park District
The Floral Report in 1899
 images - Lincoln Park 1899
1902 photo inside the new Palm House
photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
 1902 photo inside the new Palm House
photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
1903 photo inside the new Palm House
photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
The postcards below are from my personal collection that I purchased from Ebay during the course of one summer. 

The Garden Report
within the book called Lincoln Park 1899
 this is the first page of a total 24 pages on the subject
The Monuments in the Park
image - Chicagoan
These monuments mentioned in the post were mostly commissioned and installed prior to 1910. The administration of the park was shared with the citizens of old Lake View and the rest of Chicago while the revenue for the park was raised and administered by the residents of assessment district of Lake View & North Chicago Township. This arranged began when the Lincoln Park of Commissioners (governing body) expanded the park space north of Fullerton Avenue 
northward. The governmental integration of the old township with the City of Chicago probably took a decade or more to resolve. The Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners to this day still hold meetings probably less argumentatively from the days of battling riparian rights, outer drive plans, and the battles of power & influence of the 19th century tribal politics.
The Dedication of Monuments in 1895
(click image to enlarge)
 
page 2 
 page 3
 page 4
images from a book called 'Lincoln Park 1899' 

The List of Monuments in Lincoln Park
The Alarm 1884
photo -  Alan Scott Walker
photo - Andrew Horne
Ulysses S Grant 1891
photo - Public Art of Chicago
Signal of Peace 1894
within the neighborhood of Lake View along the lakeshore
photo above - Allan Scott Walker
photo below - Equestrian Statues 
Robert Cavalier de LaSalle 1889
image - Allan Scott Walker
Carl von Linné Monument 1891
Originally located on Fullerton Avenue in the park north the the original conservatory once called 'The Palm House'
image - Ebay
photo - Jennifer Ames
Hans Christian Andersen 1896
photo - Allan Scott Walker
Benjamin Franklin 1896
photo - Allan Scott Walker
Other Notable Monuments after 1900
photo - Public Art in Chicago
a gateway to neighborhood of Lake View
photo - Alan Scott Walker
photo - Alan Scott Walker
photo - Andrew Home
photo - Tutt's Art
photo - John Angel
photo - Alan Scott Walker
Those Lost or Removed

 photo - OAC the online archive of California

postcard images - my from collection
along with the Doughboy 
that was once parallel to Barry Avenue 
And then there was this Ditch:
The Lake Shore Ditch Channel
built between 1850-1855
While looking at some vintage maps of the second half of the 19th century I continued to see this line in the maps called the 'Lake View Ditch' to be later referred to as the '10 mile ditch' due to the fact it stretched from Township of Evanston to Township of North Chicago (the city). The ditch was a water/drainage ditch from constant storm from Lake Michigan overflow due. The drainage ditch dug initially meant to keep the cemeteries dry, in particular Chicago Cemetery, the only north-side public-ally owned placement for the dead within the City of Chicago as well as the Catholic & Jewish areas. 
image - 'Lincoln Park 1899'
The location of a cemetery along the lakefront may have seen scenic but it became apparent that it did not work-out so well when the winds & waves of the lake would crash to the shore sometimes with vengeance during a storm. The dirt covering the remains of loved ones would surface. After a while the medical field discovered the connection between drainage/drinking water and the soaked deceased the remains of the deceased were removed from the city limits into cemeteries of the Township of Lake View beginning in the 1860's. The ditch became obsolete and, in time, covered and forgotten. 
a David Rumsey map 1869 edit
the red highlighted area indicate the border 
between City of Chicago & Lake View Township
Road named after a government official of the township. 
In 1869 the park was governed by the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners. In accordance to a 1869 map the 10 mile ditch stretched from North Avenue through the original/initial  the park area toward & through southern portion of Lake View Township ending apparently north of Wilson Avenue. 
this is zoomed view of David Rumsey 1869 map edit highlights the continued route of 'Lake Shore Ditch' through the township as well a roadway called 'Lake Shore Plank Road' known day as Broadway.
This zoomed David Ramsey map has the ditch fading away somewhere north of Wilson Avenue once known as Shippey (Road?). I have published a post about the cemeteries that were established in Lake View Township that was a direct connection to the failed location of cemeteries along the existing lakeshore called 'Land of Cemeteries'. My thesis from that post is based that the founding of the several cemeteries within Lake View Township created a discovery of the land north of Fullerton Avenue. Visits to the several cemeteries from relatives of Chicago brought interest to the township such as inexpensive land for development and  growth for new families - those who like the 'country life' of a then very rural Lake View.
My Postcard Collection: 
The Park Environs 
Most the postcards date between the 1880's to 1910's.
when prominent citizens of Lake View had influence in the administration of the park.
size 10 1/4 by 15 1/2
The Boulevard System Map 1887
Edited map that highlights Lincoln Park, the park
When Lake View was a township/city 1854-1889 the City of Chicago and old Lake View shared administrative responsibilities though the Lincoln Park Board of Commissioners that was established by the State of Illinois 
in 1869. During this time period the southern border of Lake View Township/City was Fullerton Avenue that cemented a relationship between the two until the annexation of the City of Lake View in 1889. Diversey Boulevard was to be the final connecting link to the existing boulevard system but due construction costs for building removal and public opposition - it didn't happen.
More Park Views
Read about the Lake View's connection to the park by reading 'Lincoln Park 1899' from this link, hence the reason for this section of the collection. The postcards below are from my personal collection.
 the lagoons were apparently once referred to as the 'canal'
 a wooden bridge - 1870's according to Ebay
 


























































Lincoln Park Conservatory
from 1870- 1910
a stereograph image - front and back
scene of garden from the Palm House-Conservatory
The original name of the Conservatory was the Palm House
men in the the Palm House
this photo looking south of the Palm House which was the original name of the current conservatory building 
the second building that was once called the Palm House




Lincoln Park Zoo
from 1870-1910ish
'The zoo was founded in 1868, when the Lincoln Park Commissioners were given a gift of a pair of swans by Central Park's Board of Commissioners in New York City. Other animals were soon donated to the park, including, a puma, two elk, three wolves, four eagles, & eight peacocks. In 1874, a bear cub from the Philadelphia Zoo was the first animal purchased by the zoo. The bear became quite adept at escaping from its home and could frequently be found roaming Lincoln Park at night. In 1884, reportedly the first American bison born in captivity was born at the Lincoln Park Zoo. At this time, the species had almost been hunted to extinction in the wild so in 1896, the United States government bought one bull and seven cows from the Zoo's bison herd to send to Yellowstone National Park to assist in the species' revival.' - Wikipedia







is actually a Axis Deer (also known as Chital) from India according to Peter Boul, a member of the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Association. He states that the author Robert May, the author of the book 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer', observed them at Lincoln Park zoo and was inspired to write the song we know today.

The Monuments of Lincoln Park
from 1870-1905ish
 The Abraham Lincoln Monument
 
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Monument 
The Alarm
originally called The Indian Monument
another view of it
Signal of Peace
 Shakespeare Monument
The Eugene Field Monument
 Ulysses S. Grant Monument


Hans Christian Andersen Monument 
 
 Robert Cavelier de LaSalle Monument
Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller Monument
Robert Cavelier de LaSalle Monument

at another angle
Benjamin Franklin Monument
 Carl von Linné Monument
relocated to Midway Plaisance in 1976 
among others from Lincoln Park 
The Missing Monuments of Lincoln Park
a cannon from the Spanish-American War 
& for some reason is no longer in the park ...
I am still searching for a postcard of this monument 
when it was located in Lincoln Park
1894 -1919
This bridge was once located a few blocks south of Fullerton Avenue. By the 1910's the High Bridge earned a new infamous name of 'Suicide Bridge' Due to the high volume of lives lost per week the bridge was demolished in 1909
View of Lake Shore Drive from the Bridge
In the 19th century this road was called
'Breakwater and Carriage Drive'



View of the Lagoon from the Bridge
now regarded as the South Pond
Excursion off the Lakefront
 Once located north of North Avenue 
and a few 100 yards north of the High Bridge

Post Notes:
Listen to a tale of the lost and forgotten burials in park. 
For more of an in-depth view read about the history of the park area from Hidden Truths by Pamela Bannos
And finally view a good collection of postcards of the park from Chicago History in Postcards

Important Note: 
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!


Post a Comment