June 09, 2011

Hospitals in the Area

Hospitals: Past & Present
The Doctor of Old Lake View


Some General Background
The history of Chicago's hospitals began with an almshouse that was a type of health care facility established by Cook County as part of its responsibility to provide care for indigent or homeless county residents, and for sick or needy travelers. Located at the corner of Clark and Randolph Streets, this public charity was in operation as early as 1835. It did provide medical attendance, but such places typically crowded the ill together with the healthy poor, the insane, and persons who were permanently incapacitated. Unlike Cook County, the City of Chicago had no legal mandate to care for the sick poor, but its charter did charge it with guarding against “pestilential or infectious diseases.” Cholera had hit the area in 1832, and smallpox and scarlet fever were familiar to many years before that time period. By 1843 fear of cholera prompted city officials to build the first institution devoted exclusively to medical care in Chicago, a small wooden structure located on the far northern border of the city. Ironically, it was built on land bought for a cemetery. This first hospital [was a] frame structure the was rebuilt in 1852 at North Avenue and the lakefront was designed to keep victims of contagious disease away from the center of population. 
- Illinois Trails & Encyclopedia of Chicago.
The Hospitals of Old Lake View:
1868-1972
postcard dated 1912 - Ebay
Read more about this U.S. hospital in another post
founded in 1882 in the Township of Lake View
precusor to Children's Memorial
 was the city's first hospital dedicated to children. 
Julia Foster Porter opened the original hospital in 1882 after her 13-year-old son, Maurice, died of rheumatic fever, and she realized there was no hospital in Illinois that specialized in treating children.- CBS Chicago
photo 1909 - Chuckman Collection
this 1894 Sanborn Map highlights 
the hospital along Diversey east of Halsted
1894 map zoomed
Built in 1886 originally located at 817 Diversey Boulevard and then shortly moved to its last location at 741 Diversey Boulevard this 60 bed private facility mostly served the German American residents in a area known for that type of population, at the time. By 1920 this hospital was renamed Chicago General Hospital. This hospital is a by-product of an earlier hospital called The German Hospital of Chicago that was located on Larabee and Grant in 1883 squarely within the City of Chicago, at that time.The hospital was to be later renamed Grant Hospital during the anti-German years of World War I. The link between the two different hospitals was a man named Harry J. Haiselden who once served as a 'practicing resident' at German Hospital of Chicago to be later serve after a couple of years as chief surgeon at the German-American Hospital by 1915. 
The German Hospital of Chicago
photo - Chicago History in Postcards 
 German Hospital of Chicago 
Mr. Haiselden is important in this tale of linkage due to the decision he made that create a firestorm of debate in the medical world and in public opinion. 
As chief surgeon he repetitively refused to perform needed surgery for children born with severe birth defects and allowed the babies to die, an act of eugeics. A silent film was produced from this debate called The Black Stork in 1917. There is a YouTube video of it provided here
Troubles continue in 1918
Burrow's Hospital
1927 - 1950ish
669 W Irving Park Road
Dr. Samuel Burrows founded the Burrows Hospital and held the title of head surgeon The hospital was established in 1927 and apparently closed by the mid 20th century. According to a 1930 Chicago Daily News article his father Thomas (retired?) was also a doctor who resided in the same hospital, former hotel, til his death in September 1930.
1950 Sanborn Fire Map - top left corner
1923 Sanborn Fire Map
The hospital was the former Irving-Pine Hotel
Other Hospitals 
within the District of Lake View
(1889-1930ish)
These two postcard images below are of a hospital now in the neighborhood of Uptown but served within what was referred to by the press and non-residents as the District of Lake View at the turn of the 20th century. The hospital apparently evolved from Lake View Hospital as of 1910 to the Frank Cuneo Memorial Hospital at a much later date. 
This hospital was once affiliated to the Lake View Hospital Training School for Nurses (page 326-7) was located at 928 West Belmont Avenue. A residence for nurses was once located 4319-21 Vista Terrace. 
image - Chicago History in Postcards
Built by 1910 located on the northwest corner area of Montrose and Clarendon Avenues. Frank Cuneo, Jr. donated the hospital building to Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, an organization founded by Mother Francis Xavier Cabrini.
This renamed hospital (1940's) was once located at 
4420 Clarendon Avenue in the Buena Park community of the neighborhood of Uptown. The hospital was dedicated to the health and well-being of children. 
The new hospital across the street
  Chicago - Photographic Images of Change 
(University of Illinois at Chicago) 1958
 Chicago - Photographic Images of Change 
(University of Illinois at Chicago) 1958
The second building was constructed in 1958 across the street from the original building and linked with a passage bridge (much like in this photo) @ 720 West Montrose. That second hospital closed in July 1988.  Its last occupant was Columbus Maryville Academy. - Photos below from E-Bay
The administration building was across the street from the hospital. The hospital was listed on a preservation list in 2012- Chicago PreservationI have a Facebook album on this hospital.
Columbus Hospital 
 District of Lake View
Columbus Hospital in 1909
Chuckman Collection
A Catholic American saint named Frances Xavier Cabrini established her organization’s presence in Chicago with the construction of this hospital in 1905. It was a hospital designed with the just arrived and poor immigrant in mind. The hospital patient capacity was 551-beds with a 
variety of services before its closure.
By 2001 the hospital was sold to a developer who had a interesting issue - a shrine that was built in the middle of the hospital that was dear to the catholic faithful
photo - Catholic New World 
After ten years of city and negotiations 
the shrine was saved and the new condo development 
was near completion. 
Daily News Sanitarium
1929 aerial view - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection - reversed negative image
Established in 1887 when Lake View citizens voted for a city charter (1887-1889) was the establishment of the Chicago Daily News 'open-aired' sanitariumThe property was located north of Fullerton Avenue & north of Lincoln Park, the park. 
One of the most universal and pervasive approaches for people with the most common pulmonary form of the disease was that of rest and fresh air for patients, that lead to the establishment and proliferation of sanitariums across the country and one along our then existing lakeshore.
- Working Group on new TB drugs Part 3
1903 lakefront view - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection - reversed negative image
1902 front yard view - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection - reversed negative image
1907 inside view - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection - reversed negative image
View more photos
Originally the Stout Estate 1917 - 1932
Read more about his property with his Facebook link
from LakeView Historical on Facebook
Articles below tell a tale of zoning issues 1947

Lost tax break 1955
This hospital struggled with zoning and federal tax issues from 1944 to 1955. This hospital that was rezoned and later converted from an old stately mansion estate to a plot for high-rise residential living. The buildings was razed in 1959.
 District of Lake View
 the originally building

1928 Sanborn Fire Map indicates location
postmarked 1936 - Ebay
 
This hospital had a bright future and then suddenly an unforgiving end. View the articles and links below about its history that finally resulted in its demolition.
1951 a nursing school 
1961 another expansion
 

1964 and another expansion
 1991 buying another health care facility  
The Beginning of the End
In 1998 this hospital failed a young man in need. According this article 'One friend ran inside the hospital and got two police officers to rush to Christopher’s aid. The officers and witnesses begged hospital staff to assist, but they demurred citing hospital policy that forbid them to exit the building. The officers on scene were also bound by protocol to not move injured people and wait for paramedics. At 6:23pm  a request for an ambulance went out over police radio. Ignoring protocol one of the officers finally commandeered a wheelchair and rushed Christopher into the emergency room with a barely detectable pulse.' Christopher death received US presidential attention according to Ebay magazine. By 
2002 the hospital was to be sold and a decade later to be demolished due to vacancy and neighborhood complaints.
demolished 2013 & It's replacement below
renderings of the new school space 2014
By 2014 a school replaced the building space that was once a still engaging hospital that serve the needs of the greater Ravenswood community area.
from Chicago to the District of Lake View
Originally located in the Township of Lake View in 1872
In 1870, a religious order called the Daughters of Charity purchased a piece of land for a new hospital at what is now Burling Street and Dickens (Garfield) Street later to be known as Lincoln Park. In October 1871, while the hospital was under construction, the city suffered from the Great Chicago Fire. The new hospital building was spared and served as a shelter for many of the fire victims. In 1872, the sisters of moved into a new building and renamed it Saint Joseph HospitalThis organization also served orphans calling it the St. Joseph Provident Orphan Asylum located between Belmont Avenue and Diversey Parkway along the lakefront.
The Opening of New Hospital 
1872 Chicago Daily Tribune
Sofia=Dickens Avenue

(click on article to enlarge)
1963 photo - Art Institute of Chicago
Chatter About the Opening of Newer Hospital
 in Lake View - 1959
 page 2
photo - Friends of Cuneo on Facebook
The original design by Belli & Belli 1956-57

(click on article to enlarge)
Architect - Edo J. Belli (1918-2003)
 2900 North Lake Shore Drive @ Diversey Parkway
1893  The Saint Joseph School of Nursing, which was affiliated with DePaul University, opened on the Burling Street property. By 1894, inpatient and outpatient services in the hospital included surgery, medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, cardiac care and eye, ear, nose and throat treatment. Some 1,504 nurses graduated from the school prior to its Burling Street closing in 1964.
1964  Patients and staff were moved into the new 500-bed Saint Joseph Hospital on its current site at 2900 LSD.
1995  Saint Joseph Hospital merged with Columbus Hospital & Saint Anthony Hospital in Pilsen/Little Village.
  photo - Lake View Patch
 photo - Lake View Patch
2013  Construction will soon begin at Saint Joseph Hospital to build the new Presence Center for Advanced Care, an almost $150 million expansion project that will take two years to complete - with a 2013 Google view and then ...
with a 2014 Google view.
first rendition - Lake View Patch photo
Ground breaking ceremony 2013 Facebook album  

 photo - Lake View Patch
And across the street on the northwest corner of Diversey Parkway and Sheridan Road was once the 'Amalgamated Meat Cutters International and Butcher Workmen Headquarters' that is presently used by the hospital as office space.
Their Medical Center
Amalgamated Meat Cutters International and Butcher Workmen Headquarters was associated with the 
Stock Yards and meatpacking industry. 
- postcard by Chuckman Collection
photos - Photographic Images of Change 
(University of Illinois at Chicago)
1955 - from Greg Russell, Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
The building was sold to St. Joseph's in 1980. The building was vacant for about a year after the a new union was formed that united the Retail Merchants with Meat Cutters.

(click on article to enlarge)
The original name was Union Hospital. This facility was both a general hospital and training school for nurses.

1923 Sanborn Fire Map that highlights the hospital on formerly named Florence Avenue as well as St. Sebastian Parish and Chicago Gospel Tabernacle on Barry Avenue
Personal Testimony About the Evolution  
(lost this source & to be research again)
"It was a struggle through the best of times and the worst of times to transform the Union Hospital into the Illinois Masonic Medical Center.  It began modestly when a caring company of men and women, members of a Baptist Sunday School Class, resolved to build a hospital to meet the health needs of their local community. The hospital emerged into a major Masonic enterprise dedicated to healing of the ills of its’ day." (Initially, the hospital only provided care to a possible 51 patients according the Benevolent Institutions - 1910.)
"When it became obvious that the hospital enterprise involved more than could be managed by members of a well-intentioned Sunday School Class.  Most the class were Masons or members of the Eastern Star. Its leaders of the hospital turned to the Masonic Order (Free-Mansionary fraternal origination) for assistance. It was a fortuitous development since Masons were planning to develop a hospital to provide care for their own, and in 1921 purchased the Union Hospital and later renamed it Illinois Masonic Hospital”. Even as of 1969 there was still a hint of the hospital's 'Free Mason' past as the article below indicates.
(click on article to enlarge)

The Health Needs - 1971
A Pictorial History 
from the 1st floor of 836 Wellington building's hallway 
photos taken by Garry Albrecht





 also shown is Morris Elementary School (demolished)


construction of building # 6 1958
photos - UIC via Explore Chicago

caption on back of this postcard read 
'548 bed urban medical center' 
1960's photo - Illinois Lodge of Research 
836 Wellington building built in 1973
University of Illinois-Chicago,City 2000 collection
the old parking lot is currently the site 
of Center for Advanced Care
 photo - Lake View Patch
 photo - Lake View Patch
Plans for Future in 2013


photo - SmithGroupJJR
This institution is recognized for its care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender patients across the array of medical needs and emergency services.
 2013 photo - Lake View Patch
 2013 photo - Lake View Patch
2013 photo - Lake View Patch
2013 photo - Lake View Patch
2013 photo - Lake View Patch
 2013 photo - Lake View Patch
2013 photo - Lake View Patch
The new Center for Advanced Care building on Barry
2015  It's done and ready for business according to this link!
The Nursing School & Residence
once located on Belmont Avenue east of Broadway 
now residential
affiliated to the once called Union Hospital. In accordance to this booklet the nursing school found another location for the nursing school blocks away.

John B. Murphy Hospital
formerly the nursing school
 photo - Chicago History in Postcards
The building is still located on Belmont west of Broadway 
This training hospital was named after John Benjamin Murphy who advocated his professional life in the treatment of appendicitis to prevent complications. He performed one of the first operations in early acute appendicitis in 1889. Once located at 628 W Belmont Avenue the 'Lake View Hospital Association & Training School for Nurses' was established as early as 1910. 
This 1923 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map indicates the hospital on the left and Herman Beardsley Butler House to the right (the former Hull House of Lake View) and currently the 
LakeView Athletic Club.
1921 Opening of the Murphy Hospital
Sold to Mundelein 1928
 1929 Expansion
 Closed and Re-used 1940
This building is currently used for residential living. A studio 
in this rental building costs over 1k per month as of 2016.

No Post Notes



Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!


Post a Comment