June 22, 2011

Wards, Police & Fire

 This post is directly related to other posts called
Official City Neighborhoods and the Citizen Associations. These other posts along with this one should give the reader a general understanding on how official neighborhoods and their neighborhood associations and councils including city wards and administrative districts were/are meant to safeguard public and local interests. This post is devoted to governmental representation and civic administration of Lake View. This post will feature the history & growth of our neighborhood's wards, police, and fire districts. But first ...
(Also, remember to click on any image/article to enlarge.)
precinct map of 44th ward
image - 44th ward office
The Incorporation of Lake View
History of Lake View by Theodore Andreas 
When a number of citizens principally residents of Andersonville and vicinity assembled at the school house which had lately been completed to make arrangements for holding the township election of Lake View; they had unconsciously perhaps commenced to make history for future. IS Shippy was moderator of that meeting John Mauritzen clerk. It was resolved that a election be held April 7 1857 and that $175 be raised for expenses. 
[The principals] bought [a town[ship] record book] June 16 1857 by Robert Edson Supervisor of Lake View Township [for the] price $2.50 and dedicated to the Township Clerk of Lake View Township. The entire ticket [local government] elected in April 1857 was as follows: Robert Edson Supervisor, Conrad Sulzer Assessor, Nicholas Kranz Collector, John Mauritzen Township Clerk, Isaac C Shippey Justice of the Peace, Lewis A Brown Jacob Wolf and Francis Baer Commissioners of Highways, John Rees Constable, John Bugner Overseer of the Poor. The Commissioners of Highways held a meeting and divided the town into two districts No 1 comprising all the territory from the city limits north to Albert Street (Graceland Avenue)[Irving Park Road] and No 2 everything between Graceland Avenue and the northern line of the township [Devon Avenue]. The next year James H Rees was elected Supervisor and continued to hold that position until after the town[ship] was incorporated. The township of Lake View was organized under its charter in February 1865. The act was approved by Governor Oglesby on the 16th of that month. (That year a host of candidates campaigned for the offices mentioned above under their new charter.)" - Theodore Andreas 1884
While the township government was not incorporated until 1865, the organization of the township before that in 1857. I will use the organizational date as the beginning date for the township. The township tenure was from 1857 to 1887. Read my post of the events that occurred during this time period with this link. In mid 1887 the charter of Lake View changed once again to a city type government with 7 wards - former township districts. Apparently, the majority of the wards were located south of Graceland (Irving Park Road) Avenue. 
Read my post on the City of Lake View 1887-9 with this link.
Growth Map 1860
The Township of Lake View was established in 1857 indicated by the brown dot north of the then existing City of Chicago. The Township of Lake View consisted on seven administrative districts.
Growth Map 1880
This map highlights the City of Chicago before it double its size by the annexation of several townships and the City of Lake View in 1889. Fullerton Avenue was the northern border that separated the City of Lake View from the City of Chicago by annexation. The larger brown dot north of the border represents the subdivisions of Pine Grove Wright Grove in what is regarded as community of Lake View East. The small brown dots probably represents the old communities of Ravenswood and Andersonville. The red blob indicates the area that was destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
The Evolution of the Wards  
(after the annexation of 1889)
Ward Map 1900
 
Most of the City of Lake View became the 25th & 26th wards of the City of Chicago after the annexation of 1889
The Polling Stations in 1902
pre 1909 addresses
Points of Interest in the 
District of Lake View - 1900

 The City of Lake View was annexed to the City of Chicago in 1889. The former city was divided into two wards mainly in the 25th & 26th - the former City of Lake View was now regarded as the District of Lake View. 
The first alderman for the 25th ward that represented the newly annex community/district of eastern Lake View was a the former president of the Lake View Township Board of Education,  Austin Sexton Oliver.
The first alderman for the 26th ward that represented the newly annex community/district of western Lake View was successful real estate businessman, Bernard Weber
Each alderman served a two year term. 
& New Wards by 1908


Charles M. Thompson, candidate for alderman 
of the 25th ward on the campaign trail in 1908
(not related to Mayor Big Bill Thompson)
Chicago Daily News Archives
 Growth Map 1910
Ward Map 1910
While the city grew with development and population the ward map of the 25th & 26th (former City of Lake View) would stay the same in 1910.
Mayor Big Bill Thompson in 1915 primaries
A resident of the then 25th and then the 23rd wards was elected mayor for three terms. This photo is of him and his wife voting at their local polling station 
photo - Chicago Daily News Archives
 Growth Map 1920
Ward Map 1920
The growth in Chicago and the north-side continued as the original wards of the District of Lake View break into four wards - 26th, 25th, 24th, 23th. As the population grew so did the number of wards.
This 1920 article mentions the large population of a 
ward in the District of Lake View 
(click on article to enlarge)
Mayor Thompson voting in the 23th ward in 1928
photo - Daily News Archives
This 1928 article below highlights the misrepresentation of population from one ward to another.
 Growth Map 1930 
The annexation of territory continues with the add of the new neighborhoods of Mt. Greenwood, Beverly, and Morgan Park on the southwest side.
Ward Map 1930
The growth and representation maps are appearing more formilar and recognizable with the formation of the 44th & 46th wards. By 1930 Chicago adopts the concept of official neighborhoods leaving old township and City of Lake View communities like Andersonville and Ravenswood split into new neighborhood names and wards. The official neighborhood of Lake View now is represented by the 44th, 45th, 46th, 47th, 48th wards.  
This 1930 article below tells a tale of further misrepresentation from one ward to another 
 
 
 Growth Map 1940  
Growth slows during the turbulent years 
of the Great Depression
Ward Map 1940
Wards stay relatively the same as the 1930 ward map. Most of the wards in the north side of the city change in relatively some ways - by a few blocks here or there.
March 1947
Chicago Daily News
1950 Suffers from misrepresentation still!
 Growth Map 1960 
image - DNAinfo
These maps highlight how the north-side of the city changed very little but how the other areas of the city changed to suit the political needs of the time - some call it gerrymandering
A federal census dictates the size and location of a particular ward. Within two years of the last census a city ward map is drawn and then approved the City Council for the 2015 election. 
Below are maps of both the approved 2002 and 2012 ward maps for the 2005 and 2015 aldermanic elections. Lake View represented by the 44th, 47th, 46th, and the 32nd wards in both years. (click image below to enlarge)
 
 Approved 2002 Ward Map for the 2005 Ward Election



Approved 2012 Ward Map for the 2015 Ward Election
Also, view the 2015 vs 2005 approved interactive ward map by the Chicago Tribune.
A Ward Boss of the Day:
Alderman Charlie Weber
grandstanding near St. Alphonsus Catholic Church
"Charlie’s duchy took in much of the old German neighborhood along Lincoln Avenue. His headquarters was a 'bierstube' next to St. Alphonsus Church. He had a mania for keeping the ward clean.  Besides the regular city crews, Charlie hired his own fleet of street sweepers. He also had a snow plow and a leaf-burner hauled around by a vintage Rolls Royce.
But that was grown-up stuff. What impressed me most–and impressed every kid within fifty miles–was that Charlie owned a piece of the Riverview amusement park. Each summer there’d be a “Charlie Weber Kids’ Day” where we were given the run of the place. Charlie himself used to walk through the crowds and pass out silver dollars." - see link above for more 
The character of the man 1948
 page 2
Owner of Property 1948
 ... and a park but
was it an official park or something he self-proclaimed.
Looking at both the 1923 & 1950 Sanborn Maps there was not a park located at this location
A Typical Day 1956
 
 
 
clean neighborhood is a happy one ... sorta
According to a publication called 'Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View' by newspaper columnist Patrick Butler, Charles Weber was a colorful person and 
politician-ward boss of the then 45th ward (then part of Lake View). He owned real estate, insurance agencies, ice cream parlors, and one of the first local newspapers in the area called the Lake View Independent. He was the first alderman to support owner responsibility for picking up dog droppings on public property. He was alleged to have a secret beer distributorship at 1414 Roscoe Street during the Prohibition.
He owned a row of business on Oakdale & Southport next to St. Alphonsus Church - 1960 photos by Lance Grey below before the Bavarian facade was installed and then later a name change to Zum Deutschen Eck. View my post called Let's Eat & Drink for a photos on that restaurant.
 He & Wife Found Dead 1960
 
 
 
 
No Riches Found
 
  
 
 The History of City Wards - Lake View 
The 44th Ward
The 44th ward represents most of the neighborhood 
of Lake View except northern and western sections.
(click image below to enlarge)
2002 Ward Map
2012 Ward Map
Some Historical Moments of the 44th
 The Issues in 1950
page 2
Parking Issues 1955
page 2 
Resident Demands for the Cops 1958
The State of Affairs 1960
page 2 
Zoning Issue 1961
@ Belmont & Barry
Republican Contenders 1963
 page 2
Race is an Issue 1969 
(click to enlarge)
Independent vs The Machine in 1969
Dick Simpson - Maverick and Innovator 1971 
Dick Simpson - Strong Neighborhood Voice 1971
Dick Simpson is regarded an independent alderman who believed all power rested with the people and he was their democratic advocate
Tea Bag Politics 1980 
State of Affairs of Two Wards 
particular the 44th 1986
(click image below to enlarge)
page 2
 page 3
 page 4
Bernie Hansen was elected alderman in 1983 - 2002. After a close race with a gay activist Alderman Hansen adopted a gay-friendly approach to local ward affairs and championed the Civil Rights ordinance in the city council.
2015  Election candidates for this ward via DNA info.
The 46th Ward 2015
Includes a southern lakefront section of Lake View
(click image below to enlarge)
Lake View's northern border is Irving Park Road & then along Clark Street north to Montrose west  
Some Historical Moments of the 46th
Ward Election News 1946 

 page 2
 Fifty Years in Politics 1960
(click on above image to enlarge)
  Public Housing Approved 1972
(click image below to enlarge)
An Avant Garde Candidate 1975  
(click on above image to enlarge)
Axelrod vs Schiller 1978 
(click on above image to enlarge)
Ralph Axelrod Wins in 1978
 Quigley vs Schiller 1990
 
2015  Election candidates for this ward via DNA info.
The 32nd Ward
Includes a respectful chunk of southwestern Lake View
(click image below to enlarge)
  2002 ward map for the 2005 ward election
 2012 ward map for the 2015 ward election
(not much on detail even when zoomed with link)
Simply, Diversey Parkway to the south to Belmont Avenue to the north and then Racine Avenue to the east Ravenswood Avenue to the west
Some Historical Moments for the 32nd
(click on above image to enlarge)

2015  Election candidates for this ward via DNA info.
The 47th Ward
Includes the communities of West Graceland 
(click on above image to enlarge)
 2002 ward map for the 2005 ward election 
2012 ward map for the 2015 ward election
(not much on detail even when zoomed with link)
Generally Clark Street to the east to Ravenswood Avenue to the west and then Belmont to the south Montrose to the north
Some Moments of the 47th Ward
Citizens Organize 1947
Neighborhood Changes  1950

 page 2
(click image below to enlarge)
Candidates & Hoellen's Political Dynasty 1955
Hoellen - Last of the Republicans 1974
The Machine Strategy According the Hoellen 1975
A Young'en in the Council 1990

 page 2
2015  Election candidates for this ward via DNA info
The Police Districts of Lake View
The Historical Methodology of Policing
image - DNAinfo
(click image below to enlarge)

A Sample of Tales from Old Lake View
Chicago Daily News articles
beginning in 1887
(click all articles below to enlarge)

Era of Labor Disputes 1888
The highwayman of the Lake View District
that baffled the Town Hall police 1892
An Illegal Breakwater Pier 1894
A Police Commander & Water 1896
Do not kill the dog! 1901
(click image below to enlarge)
Trick & Treats in 1901
Hotel Vice 1909
District Mapping 
Prior to 2012 the neighborhood of Lake View was administered and patrolled by two police districts in the North Division of Chicago, the 19th and 23rd. A re-alignment occurred in 2012 with the consolidation of and elimination of two police districts; one in the North Division that includes Lake iew and the other in the South Division. 
With the construction of the (new) Town Hall in 2010 on Halsted and Addison the elimination of either the 19th or 23rd became a reality but not without some civil resistance and public meetings from the residents of the old 19th that was located on 2452 Belmont Avenue just west of Western Avenue. The compromise was the retention of the court house at the same location but the loss of 'administrated' patrol and detective manpower to the new building on Addison. The other change was the name of the consolidated district. The 23rd became history and the 19th was reborn. The new 19th police district borders to the north on Lawrence Avenue, south of Fullerton Avenue, west Chicago River, and to east the Lake Michigan.
2012 map of the new 19th p0lice district with the local 'beats'. The difference is that the northern border has changed from Montrose to Lawrence Avenues.
The old map of both the 19th and 23rd Police Districts that served the neighborhood of Lake View & northern Lincoln Park.
Established in 1992 the CAPS innovative is designed to ideally bring the police, the community, and other city agencies together to identify and solve neighborhood 'quality of life issues', rather than simply react to their symptoms after the fact.  Problem solving by this program at the neighborhood level is supported by a variety of strategies, including neighborhood-based beat officers; regular Beat Community Meetings involving police and residents; extensive training for both police and community; more efficient use of city services that impact crime; and new technology to help police and residents target crime hot spots.
For example, I live on Stratford Place - 19th police district - beat 1925 and the meetings as of 2013 are on the 
1st Wednesdays of the month.
Note: The Chicago Police Department has a great data-map portal that list crimes per geographical location and another just for the 19th district. And for Chicago history buffs and a divisional map  with their 'beats' within Chicago. 
The Old Town Hall
image - Calumet412 
Photo date between 1889-1907
Robert Zamora - Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
 
Lake View's 'Old Town Hall' that included 
police, postal, and council administrations
The political and governmental administrative center of the township/city from 1857 to the annexation of 1889 to the City of Chicago was on the corner of Addison and Halsted Streets. While the original building lost its political status it gained a police presence with the construction of the second building commonly referred to as the Old Town Hall
a preserved calaboose in Mt Vernon Illinois
Non-violent prisoners were housed in 'tiny jails' known as calaboose. This was the purpose of a tiny jail in 
Lake View Township in 1879. One was apparently located 
Part of the plaque information is hopefully true
'It shall be the duty of any member of the Board of Trustees or any policeman of the Town of Lake View to arrest upon view any of the persons hereinbefore described and it shall be the duty of any policeman of the town at the request of any person provided such person shall have first made a written complaint and obtained a warrant from an officer authorized to issue one for the arrest of any such vagabond to arrest and bring before the nearest justice or police magistrate any such vagabond wherever he may be found for the purpose of an examination and the said officer making said arrest shall then and there make written complaint against said vagabond unless a complaint has already been made in the case and the said justice or police magistrate before whom any such vagabond shall be brought shall within thirty six hours proceed to try said person accused of being a vagabond and if he pleads guilty or if he be found guilty the said accused person shall on conviction forfeit and pay a fine of not less than twenty dollars nor more than two hundred dollars and costs of suit and in default of the immediate payment of said fine and costs so imposed said vagabond shall immediately be sentenced by said magistrate to hard labor upon the streets avenues and alleys or public grounds or public works of the Town of Lake View or in and about the calaboose of said town not less than five days nor more than six months said vagabond to labor ten hours of each working day under the supervision of a Street Commissioner of said town and the balance of the time to be confined in the town calaboose or the said magistrate in lieu of the above sentence to hard labor of said vagabond may issue a mittimus (warrant to prison) directing the imprisonment of said vagabond in the county jail for six months or until said fine and costs shall be fully paid said imprisonment not to continue longer than six months for any one offense in accordance with the provision of section sixty eight of chapter twenty four of the Revised Statutes of 1874.'
News in 1885-86
Town[ship] of Lake View Annual Report
A What If? 
What if the Township Government building of the Township and then City of Lake View survived ... the building would look similar to Placer County Government Center located in California just north of State capital, Sacramento.
The old 42nd Police Station 
1920's - Calumet 412

This two-story classical revival-style structure according to the Chicago Landmark Commission is characterized by a symmetrical facade, limestone base, and distinctive copper cornice. The architect is unknown according to CLC.
In 2013 Landmark Designation was approved by the city council and rehabbed for future use.
Police reorganization 1960

Kidnapping & Murder of Store Owner 1965
contributor Susan Riebman Groff
Proposed curfew for kids under 12 in 1965
Evictions and Police Response 1972
(click on article to enlarge)


Arson & the Arson Squad 1976
(click on article to enlarge)

 page 2
a 2nd article about arson 1976

page 2
1982 
When Lake View East 
was called New Town 
(1968ish-1983ish)
(read post called LakeView in a Nutshell on New Town)
Vandalism 1987
 page 2
Community Policing 1988
(click on article to enlarge)

 page 2

We Will Keep our Police Station, thanks 
A publication called Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler their were several attempts to eliminate the police station in 1975, 1983, and in 1987. Neighborhood associations within Lake View battled the City of Chicago administration to keep the presence in on the corner with a new structural along Addison west of Halsted.
After several decades of political battles with the  City Council the police presence in Lake View remained with the construction of a modern facility in 2010.
Side Note: According to the publication called Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler the station experienced a bomb blast in 1969 during the Vietnam War era.
The Community said No Way! in 1992
page 2 
(click on article to enlarge)
First photo looking west along Halsted Street
Second photo view from Addison Street
Third photo view of the basement work station

A Testimonial of the Old Station 
by Marilyn Ross – contributor 
of Forgotten Chicago on Facebook - 2014
“The set of two windows to the right of the side door on the first floor was the youth office for many years. .. I was a youth officer and spent many hours there handling kids. It was later moved upstairs that with the window open I could hear the roost of the crowd from Wrigley. I knew when something exciting was going on there. When it was a good year for them (Cubs) the window looked directly at the Goodyear blimp hovering over the ballpark. Jail was on north-side of bldg. That was a garage. Some roll calls were held there and the windows belonged to an office where the sergeants sat.”
The Old TownHall was built in 1907 from the remnants of the courthouse township days and had survived while most police stations have come and gone during the mid 20th century. In 1962 there was an reorganization occurred and the TownHall was again at center stage.
Town Hall stayed open despite complaints from the very top of the Chicago Police Department.
In 1966, police Superintendent O.W. Wilson said that a station as old as the Town Hall couldn't "provide the space and modern equipment necessary for today's police needs.“
(The Citizen Action group and other civic associations with in LVCC prevailed and the building and the police force within it remained until the new building was built in 2010)
"The mere fact that it has remained a police station for so long has flabbergasted me," said retired officer and Chicago police historian Dave McFarlan. -Chicago Tribune  2010
The New Look for the Corner 2010
Community Room of the new 19th used for police 
and neighborhood association meetings

Redevelopment Plans for the Corner

2011 There is more development planned for the property that once housed the original Town Hall and township Courthouse building such as an affordable 
LGBTQ Senior Living.  It is a development partnership with Heartland Housing Inc., and Center on Halsted. The surrounding building were razed to accommodate the planned new structure. 
 the rehabbed entrance to old station house
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
 the rehabbed interior entrance to old station house
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
during the rehab
photo - Heartland Alliance Housing
photo - Heartland Alliance Housing
The 2013 photos below show that demolition of the adjacent  buildings to the old station to be replaced by the first of its kind in the nation senior center for LBGTQ friendly folks
2013 photos - garry albrecht
Dedication Day 2014
2014 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2014 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2014 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
The Old Town Hall and Senior Center 2014 side by side
image - Bobby McClanhan contributor of
Forgotten Chicago on Facebook 
View this YouTube video on this innovative facility
Note: Read about the latest crime news for a this site beginning with this article the concerned the limit number of police in the 19th Chicago Police District.
The Fire Stations of Lake View
referred to as 'hose houses' in the 19th century
The City of Chicago offered service to the 
City of Lake View prior to its annexation
image - Lake View Saga 1847-1985
An 'Hose-House' on Barry
aka Fire House
 
fireman Ray Dwight 
The Barry Firehouse was located at 2214 W Barry Avenue
with a 2011 Google Viewer view as Engine House 56
1929 photos - Chicago History Museum via Explore Chicago
Six years after Annexation some Issues 1895
 
 
The days of using horse-drawn equipment ended in February 5, 1923. The last day included a fire alarm from box #846 at State Street and Chicago Avenue that was pulled at 12:40 p.m. The horses scrubbed and groomed, the old steamer rolled out of the swinging doors for the last time. 
The Fire of 1871
The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 caused the citizens of Lake View Township some concern. The fire nearly blew across Fullerton Avenue at one point - the southern border with Chicago. Apparently, rain and wind saved the day but some residents of the township were watering down their residencies just in case. Apparently, a few terrified Chicagoans who traveled north found safe harbor in homes from township citizens as far north as Belmont Avenue.
(click on image to enlarge)
The Experience
These sample pages from a book I purchased by Ebay - Chicago and the Great Conflagration 
by Ellas Colbert & Everett Chamberlin 1872
tells a tale of the terror that was the Chicago Fire
 
 



 
 

Fleeing toward Lincoln Park, the park
illustration - Ebay
According to this book about the fire, "the principal officers of this body [CFD] are appointed to their places through political influence, which is saying perhaps saying enough of to indicate the degree and direction of their talents."(p 370)
The Chicago Fire of 1871 led to a reorganization of the 
Fire Department that included military-style disciplines. The City was divided into 18 battalion districts, the companies in each comprising a battalion, under the charge and the administration of an Assistant Fire Marshal or Battalion Chief. But it was not until 1889 with the annexation of City of Lake View did the City of Chicago have any authority.
Fire Insurance Patrol No. 8
3921 N Ravenswood Avenue
This former Fire Dept building was built in 1907 according to Redfin. The Fire Insurance Patrol’s job was to go into buildings after firemen and protect goods and assets from water damage and thievery. It was especially concerned with protecting major industrial interests in the city.  The building is currently residential and marketing at over 1 million dollars. A Sanborn Fire Map has the building labelled as Fire Insurance Patrol No. 8. This general area was the location of Curt Teich & Bell & Howell (built movie projectors at the time during the time of Essanay Studio).
2017 residential look from Redfin 

 


 garage or no garage look












The Northwestern Terra Cotta Fire 1911
 This company is also highlighted another post called Blue Collar Lake View. This factory was located in the Township/City of Lake View.

 page 2
and rebuilt that same year 
The Fires at St. Luke's Parish

images - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
Fire destroyed interior 1899 
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
 
The new church and original school 1960
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
The Fires at St. Alphonsus Parish
The Theater Fire 1939
 The Church Fire 1950
 image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson

 
  photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
  photos - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
The fire included the Athenaeum Theatre 
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
  photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Nelson & Lincoln Fire

 Fire in 1906 on the corner of Nelson & Lincoln
both photos - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
3430 N Lincoln Avenue Fire
3200 Block N Lincoln Fire 1933

North Lincoln Avenue fire @ Newport - 1933
with the story below
 
 
Athenaeum Theater Fire 1939
photos & text by Jeff DeLong
The theatre had devastating fire that destroyed the attic and 2nd floor on Thanksgiving Eve of 1939. The parish rebuilt the 2nd floor and added the third floor in 1940 
 

 
Firemen & their Trucks
page - 'East Lake View' by Matthew Nickerson



Located at 1529 Belmont Avenue 1936 photo - Engine 21

The Alphonsus Church Fire 1950
 image - Matt Nickerson from his book called Lake View
 
 
The Bowling Alley Fires
image from a book called 'A Chicago Firehouse: 
Stories of Wrigleyville Engine 78'
1950 Sanborn Fire Map of the building
originally known as Lake View Recreation
prior to 1921 photo - Ebay
 photo - Dr. Jake's Bowling History Blog
 3239 N Clark Street
There was this late 19th century building with a bowling alley and a second floor dance hall that apparently had a floor   collapse in 1948, a reputation during the late 1950's as well as a fire in 1961 that gutted the building and the building north of it.- 3 strikes and you are gone I guess.
A Dance Floor Collapse 1948
 

A Reputation in 1958
 photo - An Engineers Aspect
photo - An Engineers Aspect
 
Ice Cream Arson 1965
 The fire destoyed a 'Mister Softee' fleet of 56 trucks on 3100 block of Halsted Street in 1965. It was part of mob-related arson attempt to have the owner of the fleet sell his company and for him, the owner, to leave town.
The garage had a tunnel that connected the boiler room to an apt building next to it.
This is one of several articles about it 










photos & video via WGN TV
2012 photo of Rick Vega 
a young Rick Vega
Eddie Groya & Rick Vega
In 1963 Eddie Groya saved a then 5-year-old Cuban refugee from a burning apartment building. That little boy was Lieutenant Rick Vega, a Chicago firefighter working out of the same station as Mr. Groya on Halsted just south of Diversey.
Arson in the Hood
Continues fires caused by arson rocked 
Lake View during the 1970's. 
Here is a sample article - one of many
 
located at Byron and Hermitage Avenue - unknown date
the corner of Hermitage & Byron decommissioned
photo - WBEZ City Room
Arson in Lake View 1976
more in the same year
 page 2
In 1978
An important date in the mid-20th century for the Chicago Fire Department was January 1, 1958, with the establishment of the Bureau of Fire Investigation within the fire department. Prior to that date the sources of many of Chicago's fires particularly arson went unresolved without independent and private forensic research. Knowledge of the causes of fires has proved to be extremely valuable not only in the prevention of potential fire but in the assistance to insurance companies in their investigations. This innovation was tested during the 1970's and early 80's when arson was a common occurrence. 
Hawthorne House Blaze 1969

 page 2
A Chicago firefighter tries to free up an ice-encrusted hose while battling a blaze at 648 W. Cornelia, February 1979. photo by William Yates
1979 photo - Chicago Tribune via Susan Riebman Groff
Dominick Foods Fire
An extra-alarm fire gutted a Lakeview supermarket Sunday evening, casting gray smoke over the area and wreaking havoc with neighborhood traffic. The fire started about 5:25 p.m. in Dominick's Finer Foods, 3012 N. Broadway according to  Fire Department spokesman Josh Dennis said per the Chicago Tribune. Read more about from the link above.
all photos - Eric Herot via Flick

2013 photo - LakeView Patch
2013 photo - DNA info
2013 photo - DNA info
2013 photo - DNA info
2016 photo - DNAinfo
investigate more of this fire from Chicago Fire Wire
2016 photo - Chicago Fire Wire
2016 photo - DNAinfo
The Diner Grill Fire 2016
This was only a grease fire but for this iconic neighborhood eatery it could have been a lose to long history of service to both Lake View and North Central.


Rocks on Fire
A fire closed ROCKS Lakeview, located on Broadway in Lake View East known for its whiskey and burgers. Read more from the link above the photo.
 For Sale!
2016 photo - DNAinfo
3921 N Ravenswood - built 1907
the crew in 1930 photo - DNAinfo
 2016 ground floor photo - Redfin
 2016 second floor photo - Redfin

Lake View Fire Stations as of 2014
The Chicago Fire Department was restructured as of January 1, 2012. The neighborhood of Lake View currently administered within the following:
Fire North
Fire District 2
Battalion 5
Units E78 & A6
One of the oldest stations in the Chicago is Wrigleyville's Engine 78 located at 1052 West Waveland Avenue. It was built in 1884 by the Lake View Township authorities - originally built at 3217 North Clark Street as a wooden framed structure (no pic). 
After the annexation the City of Chicago moved the station and company to its present location on Waveland Avenue in 1894 . By 1915 it was rebuilt in its' present brick condition at the cost of $18,600. 
According to the book called ‘A Chicago Firehouse’ by Karen Kruse, while the present structure was under construction the Engine company were housed in the Mandel Brothers Warehouse – now lofts on corner Halsted and Aldine.
 Wrigleyville's Engine 78 
Finally, some extra reading for CFD history fans!

Representation in Lake View 2014
Our State Representation
Lake View has representation in the 11th & 12th districts
Lake View has representation in the 6th district that is a geographic combination of both 11th and 12th house districts
Our Federal Representation
Lake View has representation in the 5th and 9th district
A small portion of the 9th (pdf) within the neighborhood is located east of LSD, south of Belmont, east of Sheridan Road, and north of Diversey Parkway
Lake View, as well as the entire State of Illinois is representative by two representatives in this chamber as well as all the other 50 states.

No Post Notes

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!


Post a Comment