June 05, 2011

Worship: Jewish

These Houses of Worship were either constructed in the the Township of Lake View (1857-87), the City of Lake View (1887-89), or the District of Lake View (1889-1930)
Some Background 
Of the early Jewish congregations of the 19th century, only three remain on the far South Side, none on the city's West Side, whereas twelve remain on the north-side - view map. 
Of the twelve three purchased property in suburban sites, where many congregations founded in the twentieth century are also to be found in the suburbs. 
 Temple Sholom Historical path to Lake View
The congregations' first location in Lake View was on the southwest corner of Pine Grove and Grace Street in 1911 and indicated by this 1923 Sanborn Map below
Temple Sholom of Chicago 1944 
- Chicago History in Postcards and CardCow
Description within postcard:
One of the most beautiful religious edifices in America, built of dressed stone, at a cost of nearly 2 million dollars.
The temple cornerstone that reads the Jewish year of construction 5689 = 1928
photo - Garry Albrecht
 Lakeview Council on Religious Action meeting  - 1949 
The wall is mobile and can slide back to the expanded temple interior during the high holidays
The new Jewish arrivals from eastern Europe of the 1870’s differed from the established German Chicago Jewish population of the 1840’s in their cultural background, language, dress, demeanor, and economic status and until mid-twentieth century. By 1910 a number of the Reform Jews would move north mainly to Rogers Park but also into community of Lake View. In 1928 the cornerstone was laid and the established a temple of worship along the lakefront was to be known as Temple Sholom
(click on article to enlarge)
2015 photos - Temple Sholom 
This temple was the originally meet-up for the Lake View Citizens Council in 1954 per the Lake View Saga-1847-1985
The King Visit
The congregation had a visitor on October 21 1964
Martin Luther King  accepted the Nobel Peace Prize on December 10th of the same year in Olso, Norway.
75 Years by 1949

Original cornerstone relaid- Garry Albrecht 2012
Their Lake View journey began on 631 Gary Place (Patterson Place) indicated by this 1923 Sanborn Fire Map 
 the last location per this 1950 Sanborn Map

"The Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School is an independent, community Jewish day school that combines the best of Jewish learning and traditions and the best of innovative educational practices in a rigorous and nurturing learning environment. Dedicated educators partner with Jewish families to fulfill the goal of raising children to be their best selves and good citizens of their communities."
This congregation was founded in 1873 in Chicago but did not have a presence in Lake View until 1916 when its temple was located at 633 Gary Place (Patterson Avenue) and then moved again in 1928 at its present location of 3762 North Pine Grove. Devote a minute and listen to their choir!
The below 1965 photo highlights the former Chateau Theater & former space of the Bismarck Gardens - once also a Jewel all along Grace Street at the time of this photograph
photo/text - East Lake View by Matthew Nickerson
An interesting note and according the publication Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler, as of November 1939 the congregation had a interesting guest speaker to present a topic of great interest called 'What the German People are Thinking'. The speaker was the nephew of the then Fuehrer of Germany and his name was William Patrick Hitler. Herr W.P. Hitler was anti-war & NOT a fan of his uncle. William Hitler served in the U.S Navy - WWII.
The Relationship between 
Sholom & Anshe Emet Congregations
The Temple Sholom congregation was first located on Pine Grove and Grace per this 1911 article below
This 1926 article indicates that the Anshe Emet temple on the corner of Pine Grove & Grace Street was apparently owned by Temple Sholom. In 1928 the congregation of Temple Sholom began the construction of a new space on Stratford Place and what was then called Sheridan Road.
This congregation began its service to Chicago's Jewish community with a fight over a hat during the 1870's. In the late 1930's, a group of members saw the potential of bringing their type of open, welcoming orthodoxy to the North Side.
A branch called Lake View Anshe Sholom Center, opened in 1940 from a converted greystone residence on Melrose. 
 This 1923 Sanborn Map indicates the greystone location
while the map below shows the congregation location in 1950
In 1960, the last few members of Congregation Bnai Israel left Old Town, ceased operations in the 1300 block of Sedgwick and soon after became Anshe Sholom Bnai Israel. Two years later, the long postwar decline of the westside of Chicago brought an end to the main Anshe Sholom congregation on Independence Boulevard, and it, too, merged into ours, creating the present name but this time in Lake View.
(decommissioned)
the congregation is currently located at
 5959 N Sheridan Road
 
 the current views of this now residential building
all photos - Enterprising Companies
the 1950 Sanborn Fire location below
The 60th year as a congregation per this 1940 article

2 photos above - Garry Albrecht
This former temple now condos according to Zillow. 
The original stained-glass windows and 30-foot ceilings 
tip off this building’s past
currently The Chicagoland Community Church
A group of young men and women established a sports and social club on the north side in 1936, known as the Sport Center of Jewish Youth. In 1938, it evolved as the North Center of Jewish Youth. Friday evening services were added on November 10, 1938, coincidentally the day after the infamous Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany. It was held in the Sanctuary of Temple Emanuel, then on 701 Buckingham Place. The Center rented facilities for religious services at 1026 Wilson Avenue, and for a while, at 3751 North Broadway Avenue. Religious services were occasionally held in the sanctuaries of Temple Emanuel, Lincoln Park Congregation, and Anshe Emet Synagogue. 
View the other former synagogues in Chicago and here
Read about the evolution of German-Jewish congregations 
in Chicago. Also view the synagogues from around the world.
'Every Friday night, Anshe Sholom synagogue circles Lake View with a wire, creating an eruv. The eruv is an enclosed space that allows Anshe Sholom's members to carry objects within it on the Sabbath'- Matt Nickelson

Post Notes: 
This post is part of a 7 part series of blog posts about 'Houses of Worship' according to faith. Most Houses of Worship have attached schools on their private property that I may or may not be highlight in any of these posts. These following posts only briefly narrate a particular institution and 'pray' I did not forget one.
The following are a complete list of posts related to 
Houses of Worship:

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!
Post a Comment