June 06, 2011

Worship: Selective

These Houses of Worship were either constructed in the the Township of Lake View (1857-87), the City of Lake View (1887-89), or the District of Lake View (1889-1930). Most of the existing Houses of Worship have a Facebook presence.
Built in the Township of Lake View
Community of Ravenswood
image - Chuckman Collection
also mentioned later in this post under
'The Churches Made of Wood'
Built in 1884 surviving two fires & a demolition attempt this church is the oldest wooden framed/beamed church
in Chicago. 
 
Read more about congregation's history and renovation.
The Renovation began 2014
(their Facebook page)

 

the original naive 
photo - The 1883 Project on Facebook
Built in the City of Lake View

photo - Chicago Sojourn
2000 photo - De Paul University Digital Collection 

photo - Chicago Sojourn

 photo - Chicago Sojourn

photo - Chicago Sojourn
The congregation formed after $500 was spent converting a barn into a small church to serve Chicago’s north side Episcopalians.  When the congregation grew, a small wood-frame church was completed in 1869 at the intersection of Lincoln, Belden and Orchard.  It served as a refuge for victims of the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. The current site of Church of Our Savior was completed in 1888. The parish hall building was already at 530 Fullerton Parkway and had served the Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church.
Built in the Township of Lake View
 photos - Art Institute of Chicago
A Thanksgiving tale in 1898
(click to enlarge)

 photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - Lake View Patch 2012

photos - website


  
photos - Steve Clarke via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
who donated the Russian iconic wall piece to the church
Lake View Baptist Church
Built in the Township of Lake View
Their second building was located at 1338-40 W Henderson by 1891 and as of date the originally address was 1020 W
Otto Street. By 1923 the church became a tailor shop
1894 Sanborn Fire Map edited
and then was the ...
First Swedish Baptist Church of Chicago 
Built in the District of Lake View

the second building?
A small group of Swedish Baptists organized a church in Chicago in 1854. Wiberg, Palmquist and Nilsson were all convinced that Chicago was a strategic center for work among Swedish immigrants. L.L. Frisk was an early leader. In 1859 there were only 20 members. By 1864, it had disbanded but it was reorganized in 1866 which is the 
official date of organization of the church.
Lake View Swedish Baptist Church
also known as
The Pillar of Fire Church
2017 view - Google Maps
This 1923 Sanborn Fire Map indicates the first name  
undated photo - Photography Permitted
while the 1950 map below indicated the newer name 


a rental conversion photo below - Zillow
German Emmanuel Baptist Church
Built in the District of Lake View
Apparently called the Gross Park Immanuel Baptist 
1923 Sanborn Fire Map
Third German Reformed Evangelical 
and
Centennial German Methodist 

1894 Sanborn Fire Map of the neighborhood
and a zoomed view of both churches 

The neighborhood in 1923
with a zoomed view below
Below is a 1925 booklet from the Third Reformed Church. At the time of the booklet's publication there was an apparent name change and drop the words 'German' and 'Evangelical'
image - Mary Rothenbach via LakeView Historical-Facebook
A Baptist Evangelical Conference
once located at 912 W Belmont Avenue as of 1958
photo - Chuckman Collection
 Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church
1884-2016
Demolished 2017
photo - GXM via Flickr
2010 photo - via Penny Heise DiGiovanni
1894 Sanborn Fire Map above
 1923 Sanborn Fire Map below
photo above - DNAinfo
photo below - Chicago Architecture 
The rectory located at 2747 Magnolia next to the church was saved from the wrecking ball.
photo - Liz Terrones via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
1958 Celebration
Family, House & Church
photos & storyline from Penny Heise DiGiovanni 
and published by this blogger
 Her home at 1105 W Wellington Avenue
According to Penny Heise DiGiovanni, the first photo has Harry Heise, her father, photographed with his mother 
Dora Heise nee Kollbaum. 
This third photo is a little girl who was her aunt with her father Harry Heise who was born in 1904.  Her aunt Dora’s father Jurgen Kollbaum built the house Penny lived at as a child at 1105 W Wellington - constructed in the early 1890’s. Her grandfather Richard Heise & grandmother Dora were married in Bethlehem Evangelical Church in October 1898 later to be known as Bethlehem United. 
 below is the interior of the church in 2010
According to the Chicago Public Library “In 1884-85, a church building was erected at the southwest corner of Diversey and Magnolia Avenue, an opulent testimony to the upper-middle-class lifestyle of the Lake View German population” during the time when this area of the neighborhood was part of the Township of Lake View. “Rev. Johannes Kircher founded the Bethlehem Evangelical Church in December 1883. He remained pastor of Bethlehem Evangelical  until his death in 1915.” The photo below is of the founder Rev. Johannes Kircher.
 converted to residential - and not a good one!!
all photos - 'A Chicago Sojourn'

This congregation that began in 1887. Faced with the relocation of its members to the suburbs, the church moved out in 1954. The old building on Sheffield was occupied by the congregations from the Church of Christ, Presbyterian, a Japanese congregation that formed during World War II to serve relocated Japanese residents; it held services in both English and Japanese to meet the needs of first and second generation Japanese-Americans. This congregation in 1998. The building is located just south of Wrigley Field.  

 
This 1950 Sanborn Fire Map highlights the church located on Sheffield near the old Lake View and Graceland Exchange Telephone buildings currently the AT&T building. The 1901 building is currently a parking lot for the AT&T building.
also known as
German Evangelical Church
Above 1894 Sanborn Fire Map that indicated location on the northeast corner of Noble and Ashland Avenue under the name of German Evangelical Church
Below 1923 Sanborn Fire Map that indicated location on the northeast corner of now Barry Avenue/Ashland under the name of North Ashland Evangelical Church.

a gas station (filling station) by 1950
with 
currently Holy Covenant United Methodist 
view of the location in 1894 top right
view of the location in 1923 top middle
view of the location in 1950 top middle
Lake View Congregational
 Township/City of Lake View
once located on Seminary & Lill
1908 image - Chicago History in Postcards
below is a 1894 Sanborn Map of the church that was must have been built when Lake View was either a township or city due to its name and location
with a planned new church?
per this 1894 Sanborn Fire Map
According to the 1923 map the church was gone and replaced by flats/apartment buildings
zoomed view of above map below with Google view
The 'Chapel' on Broadway

Below is a small tale of this Sunday School 
(first column only)
southwest corner of Halsted and Barry
Built in the neighborhood of Lake View
1929 illustration
The Paul Rader Church
1923 Sanborn Fire Map that highlights the church 
Illinois Masonic Hospital & St. Sebastian's Catholic Church 
with a zoomed view of it below
building capacity of 4,332 per map
Chicago Gospel Tabernacle 1958 
photo from WayOutWardell via Flickr
the neighborhood in 1950
with their parking lot leased out to an auto dealership
and the Illinois Masonic Hospital growth
a zoomed 1950 Sanborn Fire Map view

Judy DeVita Carlson, a contributor to LakeView Historical-Facebook, attended Sunday School there, was baptized there and went to summer camp. She mentioned that "the church was very good at attracting young people and keeping them active and interested in their Gospel message. Their youth groups were called Chums and Guards for girls. Separate age groups. The boys were Pals and Pioneers. Physical activity was competitive games followed by Bible talk and "witnessing" about your personal relationship with Jesus. Camp was not co-ed. [The congregation was] held at a Christian bible camp on Lake Waubesaa in MacFarland, Wisconsin. Time was probably 1950 until 1959. Great times!"
 photo - my collection 

photo - my collection 
Christ Church of Chicago
703 W Buckingham Place
before that Temple Emmanuel
(view post on Jewish congregations)
2009 Google view
'Christ Church of Chicago had its beginnings in 1946 when a group of first-generation Japanese-Americans met to worship together after arriving in Chicago for the first time. They had recently been released from the World War II Relocation Camps and they were seeking to strengthen ties with others in the Japanese-American community and to fill their spiritual needs. The membership grew rapidly as the congregation worshiped in various locations until the joyous day in 1954 when they were finally able to purchase their first home on Buckingham Place in the Lake View area. The church was a busy gathering place for three generations of Japanese-Americans.' - their website
My guess is that the Temple Emanuel building located at 703 Buckingham Place was the spiritual home of this congregation after the Jewish congregation moved in 1954.
Lakeside Japanese Christian Church
Wellington & Sheffield
image - Chicago City of Neighborhoods
Article about the congregation 1985
(click on article to enlarge)
 Article about the congregation 1987
(click on article to enlarge)
Second Church of Christ, Scientist
Built in the District of Lake View
corner of Wrightwood & Pine Grove
The church was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1901, with four services accommodating more than 10,000 attendees. At the time, the church’s most notable neighbor was George Ferris known for his famous Chicago Ferris Wheel that moved to a space along Clark Street north of Wrightwood Avenue by the late 1890's. Ferris Wheel Park was located two blocks away from the church on Pine Grove.
1909 photos - Art Institute of Chicago 

The Twelfth Christian Church Science

1950 Sanborn Fire Map highlights the building
The north-side locations as of 1942
The Replacement as of 1975
(click to enlarge)

Second Unitarian Church of Chicago
Built in the Township of Lake View
656 W Barry Avenue
100 years of service as of 1957
1902   The congregation's mission makes a turning point when it calls Fred V. Hawley, an experienced minister already serving in Chicago increased church attendance. The congregation purchases a lot and builds the current church building at Barry Avenue.
1940's-1950's  Rev. Heyworth organizes the Lake View Council on Religious Action, a group of local ministers, priests, and rabbis. The reverend and Mrs. Heyworth move into the upper level of the church building (the part currently known as the “loft”). In 1969 the members adopt the name Second Unitarian Church as a way to modernize its image.
Wellington Avenue 
United Church of Christ
Built in the Township of Lake View
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
Wellington Avenue United Church of Christ was organized as an amalgamation of two congregations (The Evanston Avenue Congregational Church and the Lincoln Park Congregational Church) in May 20, 1909. It was this uniting congregation that bought the property and built the present church building. Work on the building was begun July 14, 1910. The cornerstone was laid on November 24, 1910. By 1970, the Good Shepard MCC merged with the existing congregation. Wellington Avenue Church has a long history of involvement in social justice issues on the state, national and international levels. In the mid-1980's this church joined a sanctuary network for refugees in this country. Wellington United has offered a place of refuge for a wide variety of folks: Cuban, Chilean, Guatemalan, Vietnamese, and South African exiles as well as conscience objectors. One of congregations past members and minister was 
Dick Simpson who was a college professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago & independent alderman of the 44th ward.
The Salvation Army Church
1923 Sanborn Fire Map highlights the church 
near the corner of Wilton & School
I am sure there is a relationship between the training facility at Addison and Broadway and this church
Waveland Congregation Church
1876-1976
Built in the Township of Lake View
Waveland & Janssen
The Fire





photos - Kent Bartram 
via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
Some Historical Stories via
 Chicago Public Library - Chicago Tribune 
1909 fire and brimstone

1943 remodeling
1961 An Anniversary 
Church of Scientology
Built in the neighborhood of Lake View
photo - Yelp! since 1970's
Their first church and different from Christian Church Science
Grace Chicago Church
3252 N Broadway
Located in the gymnasium of a public school

Churches of the Past: Lake View
Western Avenue to the lake
Graceland (Irving Park Road) to Fullerton
An Historical Account 
History of Cook County Illinois 1884 pgs.722-723
By A.T. Andreas
The Emanuel Church the Evangelical Association of North America - a few years before the great fire a few families left the Evangelical Church then located on the corner of Wells Street and Chicago Avenue. They formed a temporary society of an independent nature with Rev JP Krasmer in charge and held their services in a hall on Wells Street. In the year 1871 by agreement they made application to the Illinois Conference of the Evangelical Association for a minister and Rev C Augenstein was appointed to preside over the Church. At the time of this temporary organization the few members built a small church on a private lot. In 1874 Rev Mr Augensteln's time expired and Rev C Hummel was appointed by the Conference. He remained two years his successor in April 1876 being Rev WF Walker Rev S Dickover became pastor in 1879 serving his church two years. In April 1881 the Rev JC Kierst the present incumbent was appointed by the Conference to take charge of the mission. On the twenty sixth day of March 1883 the society was incorporated as the Emanuel Church of the Evangelical Association of North America. It numbers at present one hundred members, and the Sabbath school about two hundred.
[The] Fullerton Avenue Presbyterian Church was organized February 11 1864 by Rev W Lord L Halsey others. Its first members were Lincoln Clark, Mrs Julia A Clark, Catharine L Clark, Miss Julia A Clark, Mrs CA Halsey, Mrs Henrietta, W Elliott Mrs Hannah, W Lord, Mrs Sarah S Lord, Mrs Sarah A Ewing, Charles A Ewing and Warren Norton. The church was dedicated March 13 1864 the pastors of the society having been Rev W Lord, DD Rev W M Blackburn, DD Rev WC Young, and Rev HM Collison. The church membership is now about three hundred and a colony has recently been sent out from the parent society to form the Belden Avenue Presbyterian Church [located in Chicago].
The Third German Evangelical Reformed Friedens Church was organized in June 1883 with about forty members. The first pastor was Rev Alexander Arronet coming to Lake View as a missionary from Africa. Soon after the organization the congregation purchased two lots north side of Wellington Avenue near Sheffield and commenced the building of a brick edifice 40x60 feet of which the lower story was completed and dedicated February 11 1883. In October Rig Arronet accepted a call to Champaign Illinois and Rev Wernly became his successor.
The Lake View Congregational Church was organized in the winter of 1882 by RC L C Armstrong superintendent of the City Mission. The society has been worshiping in the Music Hall on Lincoln Avenue. Last fall the members were so encouraged to look for funds to be raised and a fine church edifice was commenced in November. It is situated on the corner of Seminary Avenue and Lill Street and when completed in April will cost nearly $6000. The church membership is forty two. Rev AJ Baily supplying is the pulpit and will probably remain society's settled pastor.  
St Alphonsius Roman Catholic Church was originized by the priest now in charge Rev Father in the fall of 1882. He is of the order Redemptorist Fathers being ordained to the priesthood at Annapolis Maryland in I863. The next year he came to Chicago to take charge of St Michael's Church. Before returning to Chicago he had [the] charge of flourishing churches in New York and Detroit. The commodious edifice in which the St Alphonsius congregation now worship near the corner of Southport Avenue and Wellington was completed in September I882 - the first services being held on the third of that month. The school building also completed at that time was opened the next day with an attendance of one hundred and fifty pupils. This number has since increased to three hundred and thirty two. When organized the church membership numbered two hundred families. It now consists of three hundred families.
St Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized from the St Jacob's Lutheran Church on January I3 1884 -
the first services being held upon the succeeding Sunday. Rev John E Mueller who had been the assistant of Rev William Bartling in the parent society was installed as pastor of the new church. St Jacob's  had built a large school house in January 1882 on the corner of Hoyne Avenue and Wellington and here the young congregation worships - Mr Mueller has charge of both [the] church and school. Wrightwood Avenue divides the districts of St Jacob's and St Luke's societies. The latter has at present a membership of sixty families; the school being attended by one hundred and ten pupils. Arrangements are now being made to erect a neat brick church on the corner of Belmont Avenue and Prairie Street {with an edifice] 46x65 feet. The officers of the society are Treasurer FW Labahn trustees and elders FW Labahn, F Wolf ,L Riemer, and J Labahn, Elder C Kemmitz. St Jacob's Church built a second school house which was finished in September 1883 and situated on Racine and Oakdale avenues. It is attended by fifty six pupils the teacher being JF Rieck.
Deering's Methodist Episcopal Chapel is situated on the west side of Clybourn Avenue near Wrightwood Avenue. The society is young but growing; the pulpit being supplied every Sunday evening by Rev Mr Luther and by Dr Parkhurst on Friday evenings. In addition to a regular congregation of earnest Christian workers who meet there the church gives shelter to Deering's Division No 128, Sons of Temperance, who hold their meetings there.
The Evanston Avenue Sunday School Chapel on the south side of School near Evanston Avenue [Broadway] is doing a good work in the independent field.
Built in the Township of Lake View
Commercial Avenue (Hermitage) & Montrose

the first & second building
image - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
 their first pastor
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
A Short Story 
by Chicagoan Magazine 1934

their 1876 manual
'The First Congregational Church was organized April 20 1870 with Rev William A Lloyd as pastor and he has remained in charge of the society ever since. Among the first members were William H Hedges Jane Bowen Sulzer and CW Clark. In 1871-72 a tasteful church edifice was erected at a cost of about $8,000. The membership is now about twenty.' - History of Cook County: Lake View 1884


donated to the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Assocation
The Ravenswood Congregational Church was the first church in community of Ravenswood in 1884 as a 7th day Adventist member. Between the years 1957- 2000's the building was occupied by the North Shore Baptist Church also known as Iglesia Bautista Hispana.
 North Shore Spanish Baptist Church 2004 
via Christopher Busocio, Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
The second building was razed in 2004 after an unsuccessful effort to renovated the building. 
Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist
formerly known
District of Lake View
Community of Ravenswood
image - Chicago History in Postcards
This church was built in 1890, one year after the annexation of the City of Lake View to the City of Chicago. 
Community of Ravenswood Locations
1894/1928 Sanborn Fire Maps
Western Avenue to Clark Street
Lawrence to Graceland (Irving Park Road)
some have been mentioned above 
or in other posts in more detail
(click to enlarge all maps)
All Saints Episcopal Church
and
Ravenswood Methodist 
Evangelical Church
and
Ravenswood Congregational Church
1928 Sanborn Fire Map Overview:
one on Wilson, one on Sunnyside, and one on Montrose

 with zoomed sectional map views below ...

Ravenswood Congregational Church 
also was known as the
North Shore Spanish Baptist Church
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
 
a zoomed 1894 Sanborn Fire Map view
 photo - Art Institute of Chicago
photo - Art Institute of Chicago 
and then a vacant lot from 2004 to 2014 

2007 Google view of the corner
vs a view in 2014 below
14th Church of Christ Scientist
1713 W Sunnyside Avenue

image - Chicago History in Postcards
 a 1928 Sanborn Fire Map view of both the
Ravenwood Congregation and 
14th Church of Christ Scientist

Christ Convent Church 
- Sunnyside Gospel Tabernacle
and
Immanuel Swedish Baptist Church
Sanborn Fire Map 1928 sectional overview
from Wilson to Sunnyside
zoomed views below from the above map
Immanuel Swedish Baptist Church 
4557 N Hamilton Avenue

 Christ Convent & 
Sunnyside Gospel Tabernacle
Berry Memorial Methodist 
Evangelical (ME) Church
2200 W Giddings Avenue
the original address
4745 N Leavitt Avenue
current address
Bethany Evangelical Church
4256 N Paulina Avenue
and
Swedish Free Church Bible Institute
4211 N Hermitage Avenue
508 W Leland Aveune
pre 1909 address
the first church
A Sanborn Fire Map view 1894
And then a Sanborn Fire Map view 1928
1906-10 W Leland Avenue
apparent church band group photo
1907 photo - Chicago Public Library
Ravenswood Christian Church
338 W Leland Avenue
the pre 1909 address
1894 Sanborn Fire Map
The church disappeared from the 1928 map (below)
the post 1909 address must have been

339 W Sunnyside Avenue
pre 1909 address
A 1894 Sanborn Fire Map view

1989 photos -  Krueger, Robert W. via Chicago Public Library
and then a 1928 Sanborn Fire Map 
view the current address
4455 N Seeley Avenue

and the current view below
All of these churches were constructed at the turn of the 20th century. The design is grandly simple and pastoral fitting of the protestant style of architecture of that period. This section is Chicago Sojourn with more photos from this source.
2015 renovations and repairs 
via their '1883 Project' on Facebook
Built in 1884 in the old township of Lake View in the community of Ravenswood. This church served as a reference point for the village for meetings as well as the use of its steeple bell to ring out the call to volunteer firefighters. The church was a spiritual home to thousands of Ravenswood residents at the time. 
2016 image Paul Mallatt via Picture of Chicago-Facebook 
 2016 image Paul Mallatt via Picture of Chicago-Facebook 
 2016 images Paul Mallatt via Picture of Chicago-Facebook 
Addison Street Community Church
2132 W Addison Street built in the days of the 
District of Lake View
 
Christian Community Church
 located at 2135 W Wilson Avenue
was established in the community of Ravenswood 
within the District of Lake View by 1922. 
Resurrection Covenant Church
3901 N. Marshfield Avenue 
converted 
District of Lake View
formerly known as
Swedish Evangelical Mission Covenant Church of Cuyler
1700 W. Farragut Avenue
 District of Lake View
permit to demolish 2017
The Church Beginnings
photo - Chicago Architecture

 photo - DNAinfo
 photo above & below - DNAinfo
An Uncertain Future
by DNAinfo
'In a sale netting $750,000 for the Night Ministry, a 123-year-old wooden church in Andersonville will likely be demolished and replaced with single-family homes.
The Night Ministry, a Chicago-based nonprofit that aids those struggling with homelessness, was given the former Summerdale Community Church at 1700 W. Farragut Ave. last year. With a dwindling congregation of only about 10 members and an estimated $250,000 worth of work needed to get the property up to code, the church decided to disband and give the building to another nonprofit that could then sell it and reap the proceeds, former pastor Ann James said. Based on prior partnerships, the church decided to donate the building to the Night Ministry.'
photo above - DNAinfo
photo below - Daniel Rankin 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
the windows and most artifacts of interest were saved
2016 image - Edgwater Historical Society Newsletter
2017 photo below from
Daniel Rankin via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Further North in Edgewater
Episcopal Church of theAtonement
Neighborhood of Edgewater
once in the City of Lake View
photo - Chicago Architecture Foundation
The Episcopal Church of the Atonement was founded in 1888 in the City of Lake View. The congregation began its worship in this distinctive red stone building in 1890, designed and built by architect Henry Ives Cobb. 
photo - Chicago Architecture Foundation
The land was donated by J.L. Cochran, the developer of Edgewater Community according to The Edgewater Historical Society. While the congregation grew in size so the building -expanded twice to more than double its original capacity always keeping in mind the buildings’ English Gothic design. The somber sanctuary, both grand and intimate, contains a booming pipe organ. Below the structures floor lie a columbarium - room with niches for funeral urns to be stored. The Parish House was added in 1924, the stained-glass windows were gradually installed from 1929 to 1946. 
photo - Chicago Architecture Foundation
photo - Chicago Architecture Foundation
photo - Chicago Architecture Foundation
photo - their website
In 1970 a small addition was added called the Elizabethan Room from the Spencer family of town of Sharon Connecticut. The room was originally in the Cumberland house in England, currently part of  Windsor Great Park, and was shipped to the Weatherstone’s house in Town of Sharon in the 1690’s. When Weatherstone building was remodeled, this room was removed and sent to the church. This historical room provides a beautiful setting for small receptions and meetings while keeping to the spirit of the churches original design according to The Edgewater Historical Society. The photos are from the Chicago Architecture Foundation during one of their tours.
Post Notes:
This post is part of a 6 part series of blog posts about 
'Houses of Worship' according to faith. Most Houses of Worship have attached schools on their private property that I may or may not be highlight in any of these posts. These following posts only briefly narrate a particular institution and 'pray' I did not forget one.
The following are a complete list of posts related to 
Houses of Worship:

Read the list of all types of churches as of 1905:

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!
Post a Comment