November 20, 2011

Social Services

Some Background
The term 'social service' refers to the variety of programs made available by public or private agencies to individuals and families who need special assistance. 
Prior to 1935 and the Social Security Act of that year Americans called these services as public charity to be decided by an administrator. The only aid available to people who were poor, elderly, disabled, widowed, orphaned or otherwise in need came from local authorities who administered the “Poor Laws,” laws which came to the United States with English settlers in the 1620's.
The first official guardian of the poor in Lake View Township was one of the organizers of the township, a John Bugner. His title in 1857 was 'Overseer of the Poor' (p. 264)
Angel Guardian Orphan Asylum
And on a Personal Note:
Social services played an important part in this bloggers' human development. This blogger was adopted in 1955, at an orphanage called St. Vincent Orphanage located in Chicago. This blogger was provided care until his third month when a young couple adopted him as Edward Nelson (bloggers original name). Without the existence of that organization this blogger would not have gained the love, support, and education that I needed to be a productive, mostly happy member of my community.
The Social Service Agencies
in old Lake View
Angel Guardian Orphan Asylum

  2001 W Devon Avenue
photo - Elizabeth Lynn-Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
An Account of the Asylum 1884
by A.T. Andreas
"A German Catholic Orphan Society was organized in 1865. Its' board of directors being the of the different parishes throughout the city of Chicago and two laymen from each congregation. The buildings were erected at [community of] Rose Hill at an expense $8,000. These were however destroyed by fire October 23 1879.  Previously however on the eleventh September 1872 the Angel Guardian German Catholic Orphan Society of Chicago had been under general State law with its’ object being the support maintenance and education of such orphan and half orphan children as the society may choose to receive. The first trustees numbered nine.  Immediately after the destruction of the asylum building by fire in 1879 the trustees began erection of the present structure which is so a land mark in this section of the town. The building stands upon high ground where the air is pure and commands a beautiful expanse of country. When completed the cost of the building was $35, 000. The T entire valuation of property is placed at $50,000. I hat the institution has fully met the purpose for which it was founded is quite evident from its status. Over one hundred and thirty orphans find a home there under the motherly care of the Poor Handmaids who not only teach their fatherless and motherless charges the rudiments of their education but nurse them in sickness and protect them in health. The grounds of the asylum included houses and farmland cover forty-nine acres of ground."
1928 Sanborn Fire Map highlights not only the orphanage (asylum) but the St. Henry's church and graveyard
A 1910 census of the population of kids with this link


photos - Chuckman Collection
Located at the northern edge of Lake View Township 
(Devon Avenue was the north border of township) and founded in 1865; seven years after the establishment of the township. This institution housed over 1200 hundred depended children after the Civil War and the Great Depression making this benevolent institution the largest in population and geography in Chicago at the time.
It ceased to be an institution for orphan or dependent children as of 1974. Read a storybook tale of the life of this institution with this link (click on book).
The children in the hothouse (greenhouse) - 1914
1929 Picnic for the orphans 
+ other social services at the time
The buildings are to the right of photo with old St. Henry's beyond the streetcar (heading west) - 1940's maybe
photo - The Trolley Dodger
 
Its' History in a Nutshell 100th year in 1966
and with a direct connection to one of the oldest churches 
of Lake View Township 
 photo by Jean Ensch (photo 1983)
Note: Read and view more on this church in the post called House of Worship & School:Catholic
Note: What the community around the orphanage was like in the 1920's via Chicago Film Archives
The House of the Good Shepherd
1126 W Grace Street
The House of the Good Shepherd established in 1859 is an organization that original cared only for abused women.  This organization had a presence in the community of Lake View beginning in 1905. Simply, House of the Good Shepherd - Chicago was a initially a shelter for battered women and their children that sought to end the cycle of domestic violence. 
From Daily News Archives - 1909
House of the Good Shepherd mission statement reads as follows: "welcomes with love and compassion women and children affected by domestic violence who seek their help. The shelter is a safe place which seeks to empower women, affirming them in their family role. A woman and her children are offered opportunities for emotional, social, educational and spiritual growth. We are committed to helping families by strengthening their self-esteem and giving hope and continued support for a better future". Currently, the western end of the property is owned by the Wrigley Field organization and used as a parking lot while the remainder is still owned by the Good Shepherd organization.
In this 1922 University of Chicago map (zoomed) the entire property space was located near the historical district of Alta Vista to the east and Wunder and Jewish Graceland cemeteries to the north. 
1923 Sanborn Fire Map with the 
Chicago & Evanston tracks east of property
History:   Located on the north Side, the House of the Good Shepherd officially opened in 1859, when four Irish Sisters of the Good Shepherd arrived in Chicago from St. Louis to care for “abandoned women.” Over time the sisters extended their care from those accused of prostitution or disorderly conduct to delinquent and dependent girls. After the turn of the century, most residents (over 400 at the end of the century) found their way to this Roman Catholic institution through the juvenile court. The original building was located until 1984 @ 1126 Grace Street.
Looking at (1973-1988) aerial photography the old building had been replaced by a smaller campus setting in the same location. The organization moved into Lake View Township after the Chicago Fire of 1871 and rebuild their organization on Grace Street.
A Golden Anniversary 1909
(click on article to enlarge)
View of building from Wrigley Field (photo right) 1955
shown to indicate the size of the building
photo - Man on Five via Chicago Tribune Archives
Park Possibility In 1966 
Part of the Original Space for Cubs 1990
(click on article to enlarge)
Photos of the Original Space 2012
photos - Garry Albrecht
The property was subdivided 
- Wrigley Field's parking lot is west of HGS
The same concrete fence remains - 2013
Martha Washington Hospital
2324 W Irving Park Road
currently the property is used for a residence for seniors
 postcard - Chuckman Collection
1928 Sanborn Fire Map in the community of Ravenswood
 image - Martha Group
According to the Chicago Tribune this former Lake View Township hospital filed for bankruptcy in 1991.
What was left of the old Martha Washington Hospital building on Sunday, October 9th 2005. It was gone by the morning of the 11th. The hospital closed in 1989 and occupied part of 5 acres at W Irving Park Rd and N Western Ave in Chicago that were donated from 2001-2003 by Advocate Health Care for "affordable" (and ugly!) senior housing (like that with the balconies at right). - photo & text by John Dunlevy via Flickr
The Swedish Bethany Home for the Aged
and then became 
Methodist Hospital of Chicago

 postcard images - Illinois Digital Archives
The Bethany Girls HQ
lobby and below the parlor
in Lake View
  Jane Addams
Her publication was called 
The Function for her 'Social Settlement
 
photo - Ebay
Before it was a social service location for Hull House 
and way before it was a local health club it was private residence and/or private social club with a theater and swimming pool. 

Sanborn Fire Map 1923
'The Herman Beardsley Butler House'. Mr. Beardsey was the treasurer and Vice President of the Joseph T. Ryerson (iron and steel) Company. More than likely after Mr Bulter's death the building was used as the company's private club. This mansion or social club at all the amenities of a private social club of its day. The architects of the building were Shattuck & Hussey. Below is a Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of the building - 1923 indicating the ownership at the time.
According to Lake View Historical contributor Gil Semmen the years prior to Hull House this building was used as a American Legion Hall. View more information on it above.
A New Owner
Testimony of this satellite location for Hull House
"It was 1962 when Hull House moved into the new building on Broadway just north of Belmont. I attended day camp there with my sister and cousins. We were the first to act in the theater (first floor...Peter Pan was the play), play in the gym (4th floor), swim in the pool (basement), and make masterpieces in the arts and craft area (3rd floor)."
Joe Colangel
Good works in Lake View - 1967
The Hull House organization that Jane Addams created helped serve the LakeView community until 2002. In the 1990's the increasing gentification of the neighborhood and Hull House organization's original mission had changed to a location where pottery classes and small theater productions were held.  

 photos of Jane Addams Center
 - Hull House in Lake View
The Amenities of Hull House - Lake View
Child care, arts and crafts that included pottery classes, legal resources, english classes conducted by the federally sponsored Vista program, youth improvement activities, community theatre with Viola Spolin, an innovator of improvisational techniques at Second City Theatre, who taught classes there, and an organization called Outpost - unofficial program called the 
At the staff at the 'Outpost' helped residents with tenant rights and healthcare advice.
Pride Float - 2009 Photobucket
2012 According to the Chicago Tribune Hull House with their main headquarters at 1030 W Buren Street declared bankruptcy due to a continued drop in private donations.
News of closure by Crain's Chicago dated January 2012 
The new occupants (LakeView Athletic Club - 2009) made good use of the existing building space!  Above is the original brick work used as part of the clubs interior construction.   
 YMCA - Lake View
Initially called the Lincoln-Belmont YMCA

photo - CardCow
Photographic Images of Change 
(University of Illinois at Chicago)
Image from a publication called the Lake View Saga
Steve Lewandowski via Original Chicago-Facebook
Ravenswood-Lakeview Community Collection
@ Sulzer Regional Library
YMCA- Lake View gym 2015
Read about this organization's historical impact 
Facebook them!

located at 825 W Wellington Avenue
Bonaventure House opened its doors in March of 1989, serving as a facility that was neither hospital nor hospice: it was a home for people with AIDS and a resource center that provided counseling and an array of supportive services. Bonaventure House now focuses on transforming the lives of our residents by helping them transition to independent living.
1907 photo - Chuckman Collection
The history of this organization dates back to 1890's in the District of Lake View with a nursing school on corner of Beldon and Racine Avenues.
Counseling Center of Lake View
photo - 44th ward master plan
3225 N Sheffield Avenue
On April 30 2012 another social service (above pics) closed due to government budget cuts and lack of private financial contributions. Counseling Center of Lake View ended a 40 year run serving those who needed public care.
About the agency per their website:
"In 1969, as the de-institutionalization movement in mental health gained steam in the United States. Residents of the Lake View community joined together to form the Lake View Mental Health Council in 1972 along with Centro Latino, a coalition of grass-roots organizations located at 3225 N. Sheffield. In 1975, the Department of Mental Health provided funding for Latino Counseling Services and Lake View Alcoholism Program, the first direct service programs of what is now known as the Counseling Center of Lake View.
The Counseling Center of Lake View was a private non-for-profit organization committed to the provision of quality, comprehensive, mental health, substance abuse, and domestic violence services for the residents of the Lake View and adjacent communities. The Center was especially concerned about the development of services for population groups traditionally under-served by mental health and substance abuse providers.
As an agency, the Center had developed programs for the Spanish-speaking, substance abusers, children and adolescents, homeless youth, older adults, the post-hospitalized psychiatric patient, and the long-term mentally ill. The range of services included: prevention, diagnostic evaluation, assertive case management, counseling and therapy, psychiatry, advocacy, and networking."
(click on article to enlarge)
neighborhood newspaper - Insight-Booster
The request for services 1969
(click on article to enlarge)
Other social agencies near Lake View 1984
(click on article to enlarge)
The Lake View Pantry 
still with us but at another location


the location on Broadway 
Initially called the People's Pantry of Lake View, this social service agency was founded in 1970 within the Jane Addam Center that was located on 3212 N. Broadway (now the Lake View Athletic Club). According to their website as of 2014 the agency has a full paid staff of ten with a volunteer force of 800. LVP serves 12,000 individuals each year administrating three programs to assist 41,000 clients within the Lake View area. The agency has been able to these clients after it formed a partnership with the Greater Chicago Food Depository in 1980. The agency's current location is 3831 N. Broadway soon to move to 3945 N Sheridan Road in 2015 according to DNAinfo. LVP has a second location at 1414 W. Oakdale Avenue in Lake View.
Read more about the agency's stories and accomplishments either on their Facebook page or their news section of their websiteIn August of 2015 this agency begins a new chapter according to DNAinfo.
Rendering provided/Wheeler Kearns Architects
with the latest article & photos from 2016
National Runaway Safeline

Initially called Metro-Help, this agency services as a phone hotline connection to run-away, homeless, and at-risk youth in the Chicago area. Read more about this agency from their website and/or this article. They have a Facebook presence.
The 'Li-La-U' Neighborhood Center
(click on article to enlarge)
LGBTQ Social Services in Lake View
Center on Halsted 
review the programs provided
photo - snipview
photo - windy city media group
photo - Gensler 
photo - Gensler 
photo - Gensler 
photo - USGBC
photo - USGBC
Center on Halsted Senior Housing
Town Hall Apartments
established 2014
Since the late 1970's to early 1980's the gay community has had a presence in Lake View. The communty of Boystown became a mecca or sorts for disfranchised LBGT folks who found security and fellowship in a small geographical area of the City of Chicago. Independent businesses dotted the Broadway Avenue and Halsted Street strips by the mid-1980's. LGBT youth within the Midwest discovered Boystown and like the Puerto Rican population of the 1960's needed support and guidance with the establishment of social services that met their unique needs. The AIDS crisis of the 1980's galvanized the need in Lake View with medical support and housing opportunities. Since the 1990's overnight shelters have been established within in the walls of supportive religious congregations. 
The precursor to the Center on Halsted was this holistic organization that was established in a small cafe on Lincoln Avenue called 'Gay Horizon' in 1973. This agency sparked a culture of acceptance and support in Chicago for LGBTQ folks particular the youth.
Rosecrance Lake View is a counseling center and recovery residence at 3701 N Ashland Avenue. This center will afford young adults in the early stages of recovery the opportunity to heal and become grounded in recovery as they progress toward a successful future. Through evidence-based treatment, a structured and supportive living environment, personal accountability, career-coaching and guidance in goal setting, these young adults will receive the best opportunity for help, hope and recovery. No drugs or alcohol will be allowed in the residence or any part of the building.
Community Supported 
Over Night Housing
By 2005 the Center on Halsted building was constructed to house and support some of the various agencies that supported the disfranchised LGBTQ community 
within the Chicagoland area. 
 The Crib 
photos - BYC website
As LGBT youth from the Midwest continued to discover Boystown during the turn of the 21st century and gay-friendly organizations began to establish overnight shelters for the youth in Lake View to not only safeguard their presence but that of the community as a whole. Like many of the young faces that in Boystown many of the city’s homeless youth come to what they see as the promised land.
In 2011 the Night Ministry established The Crib with the partnership with the Lake View Lutheran Church. The Howard Brown's Broadway Youth Center once located at 3179 North Broadway and then later housed at the Wellington Avenue Church of Christ in Lake View is sponsored the Center on Halsted. The BYC moved to Uptown in 2017. The Wellington Avenue Church of Christ houses the Youth Lounge ever since 2010.


Post Note: View a 1928 list of all the so-called asylums in early Chicago.
Community Services 2006
image - 44th ward master plan


Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!


Post a Comment