June 15, 2015

The Land of Cemeteries

The Cemeteries of Old Lake View
It is my view that Lake View would have had a protracted development if it was not for the establishment of the cemeteries in the Township of Lake View in the early 1860's. With the failure of Chicago Cemetery in the City of Chicago  plan was then to move all future cemeteries to a higher and more drier elevation. Drier elevation meant planned developments in the Township of Lake View. This post is closely related to my post called Sharing Lincoln Park and the book called 'Lincoln Park 1899' - a great read.
 Graceland Cemetery photo - Chicago Patterns
It is my view that Lake View would have had a protracted development if it was not for the establishment of the cemeteries in the Township of Lake View in the early 1860's. With the failure of Chicago Cemetery in the City of Chicago developers planned to move all future cemeteries to a higher and more drier elevation along the old Green Bay Road. As the park (Lincoln Park) expanded northward into the old township responsibility of park was shared by the City of Chicago and the Township/City of Lake View until the annexation of the City of Lake View by the City of Chicago in 1889 the old Green Bay Road. As the park (Lincoln Park) expanded northward into the old township responsibility of park was shared by the City of Chicago and the Township/City of Lake View until the annexation of the 
City of Lake View by the City of Chicago in 1889. 
photo - garry albrecht
'Graves at Graceland' 
Once upon a time Sundays were the day to visit the deceased relatives beyond the city border. The living relatives of the city traveled along Green Bay Road to visit their deceased relatives and at the same time discovered rural areas with less expensive property values and less urban government regulations to be ruled by within this remote and rural township. Green Bay Road had several cemeteries along its roadway. Roadhouses were built to serve the dirty and tired travelers & their horses. These establishments of food and lodging would in most causes later become popular beer gardens and entertainment 
venues last quarter of the 19th century; where cool and gentle breezes from the lake-shore bluffs were the norm. 
All most all property was purchased and farmed; subdivisions developed not only along Green Bay Road (Clark Street) but Little Fort Road (Lincoln Avenue) and Evanston Avenue (Broadway Avenue) - that lead to the construction of the Huntley House to be later called the Lake View Hotel on the then existing lakefront ... that at time, was the center of early real estate activity for the township in a subdivision called Pine Grove - that in turn would create the most popular neighborhoods in the City of Chicago.
Graceland Cemetery - Chicago History Museum

referred to as Lincoln Park Cemetery
1837 - 1869
by Andreas Simon
(View Table of Contents)
'Prior to 1835 this city had no stated place for the interment of the dead. Up to that time the friends and relatives of the deceased buried them in some convenient spot near their homes Then as time passed the people living near the forks of the river had a common piece of ground where they buried their dead. The bodies from old Fort Dearborn mostly found a resting place north of the main river and east of the old dwelling in which John Kinzie lived. Here too the latter was buried in 1828 but in 1835 his bones were disinterred and removed to the North Side cemetery which was situated where today the north side pumping station is standing but even there they found no rest for in 1842 they were again taken up and transferred to the Lincoln Park Cemetery from where they were removed to their last resting place in Graceland In 1832. There was a small burying ground near the northwest corner of Wabash Avenue and Lake Street and there the soldiers who died of cholera in that year were interred. Quite a number of deceased persons were buried along the banks of both branches of the river and it frequently happened in later days that the workmen employed in excavating came across forgotten graves without being able to ascertain whose remains the moldering coffins contained.
In the summer of 1835 the official surveyor of the town was commissioned to select and survey two pieces of ground that could be used for cemetery purposes one of the tracts situated in the south division of the city to contain sixteen acres the other which was to be established on the North Side to have an area of ten acres. These were the first regular cemeteries of Chicago and they were located as follows on the south side near what is today Twenty third Street and the lake shore on the north side near Chicago Avenue and immediately west of the lake shore.
As soon as these grounds were turned over to public use interments were prohibited elsewhere within the limits of the town. The South Side tract served as a burying ground until the year 1842 and five years later the bodies slumbering there were taken up by order of the city authorities and re-interred in the Lincoln Park Cemetery which in the meantime had been laid out and put to use This tract of which more details are given in the chapter relating to Lincoln Park contained three thousand one hundred and thirty six burial lots and was commonly known as the Milliman tract. Here also the remains interred in the old North Side cemetery near Chicago Avenue found their next resting place but in 1865 when the city council ordered the removal of this cemetery they and all the rest were again disinterred. The lot owners were authorized to select other lots of equal size in any of the newly founded cemeteries in exchange for the lots surrendered in the Lincoln Park tract. At that time, Rose hill Graceland and Oakwoods had been established and when the two years had expired within which the city had to clear the Milliman tract of all the bodies buried there the city council named the Aldermen Woodard Lawson and Wicker as a committee to make the selection for nearly two hundred lot owners who had failed to hand in their claims and whose whereabouts could not be ascertained, The bodies were divided among Graceland, Rosehill, Calvary, and Oakwoods. In the latter cemetery, the city held the title to the entire Section B third division which had been purchased and upon the owners of all lots in this manner exchanged were conferred the privilege of obtaining a deed to the new lot. The Chicago cemetery in Lincoln Park where the present Alderman from the twenty first ward Joseph H Ernst held the position of Sexton for a number of years in 1869 passed under the control of the Lincoln Park Commissioners.'
The Chicago Cemetery & the park,
 Lincoln Park 
The cemeteries of the former township of Lake View would never have happen in the 19th century if it was not for a failure of the first north side cemetery within the City of Chicago that was simply called The Chicago City Cemetery. Constant and repetitive epidemics and the fear of the root cause of these epidemics would by 1864 outlaw interments in the Chicago Cemetery as well in the city limits.
'The City on the Move' 
by Michael Williams, Richard Cahan, & Bruce Moffat
Record sheet of morality rate in Chicago
Burials in the northside cemetery began in 1843. On May 13, 1843, the Common Council passed an ordinance forbidding interments in the older burying grounds. From 1845 through 1849, in addition to selling lots and burying the dead in the newly-surveyed grounds of the  Chicago City Cemetery, bodies were being re-interred here from the old graveyard that was located on the lake shore from Chicago Avenue to Oak Street. From 1850 through 1854, the cemetery expanded northward as the previously surveyed grounds were consumed by interments. In 1850, the city acquired Block 49, which had been part of Jacob Milliman's farm. In the 1860's, when the Supreme Court ruled the city acquired the lands illegally, the city was required to vacate the grounds and return the land to the Milliman heirs, 
thus began the first disinterment from the City Cemetery.'
images - Hidden Truth
According to Intramural Interments in Populous Cities, and Their Influence Upon Health and Epidemics by John H. Rauch, M.D. via a site called Hidden Truths, “few or none 
(of the graves) are dug deeper than four feet without coming to water, and many still less, particularly in what is called the public part of the City cemetery.” Doctor Rauch continues to stated that “The drainage into the lake from every portion of these cemeteries will be appreciated from their proximity to it, and from the topography of the ground, and the sandy nature of the soil, resting as it does upon a stratum of clay impervious to water, so that when it rains the water percolates through the sand and the decomposing mass of animal matter until it comes to the clay, whence it is carried directly into the lake”. 
image - University of Chicago Digital Map 1863 zoomed
highlighting all the cemeteries along the lakefront
Doctor Rauch findings were finally published in 1866 beginning a movement of construction of cemeteries miles from lakefront and along a high elevated ridge along Green Bay Road (Clark Street) in the most rural area of Lake View Township. There was city-wide meeting about saving and improving the cemetery space in 1859 by Walter Newberry but by 1869 the old cemetery would be annexed into the existing park to the north called Lincoln Park that was formally established one month after President Lincoln's death in 1865 by the City of Chicago.
image - University of Illinois Digital Map 1968 zoomed highlight the cemeteries south of a new park called Lincoln
 1860 sheet - illinoisgenweb.org
The Rebel (Civil War) graves were located just southeast
The Catholic Cemetery was located south of City Cemetery
along with 'rebel cemetery'
photos - Bob Russell, Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Couch Tomb
only remaining symbol of the old city cemetery
1901 photo - Hidden Truths 
1903 map Hidden Truths 
notice the shoreline in 1870 at the time
via Chicago Park District Special Collections
Talk of Improvements 1859
With this link is a brief narrative about the cemetery and where the interred were transferred as well as a 
map locator of the Couch Mausoleum.
The Future of Cemeteries 
The Township/City of Lake View once had jurisdiction over a number of cemeteries between 1860 & 1889. After the failure of ‘The Chicago Cemetery’ in the mid-19th century the high elevation in the old township was an ideal location to place a growing population of the departed – outside City of Chicago limits. According to my readings most of the township/city of Lake View remained rural north of Irving Park during this time period with spots of urban developmentThere was not an urbanization issue to contend with by the annexation of 1889 but will there bean issue by the mid-21st century in Chicago. The City Council of Austin, Texas currently has this issue before them - pitting modern urbanization with the centuries old earth-print called cemeteries. 
An 1862 article about the Chicago Cemetery, 
Graceland, & Roseland Cemeteries 1862
(click on all the segments to this long article)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 1887 Rufus Blachand Map
David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
This map indicates Rose Hill & Graceland Cemeteries with a shaded area of the other cemeteries south of Graceland

Sanborn Fire Maps of the Cemeteries of Old Lake View 1887
by Historic Maps Works
 Rose Hill - the southern section
 Rose Hill - the northern section
Rose Hill - the eastern section
Rose Hill - the eastern section with gate entrance
Boniface Cemetery once called in Latin Bonifacius 
Lawrence Street ended at Clark Street and 
Magnolia Avenue did not exist this far north

 Graceland - western section with entrance
The current border of the cemetery is Clark Street
Graceland - eastern section along RR 
The Cemeteries south of Irving Park Road 
a more zoomed view below of the map above
Mount (Anshe) Mayriv Cemetery
once located on the southwest corner of Clark & Belmont
from Clark Street to Sheffield Avenue on Belmont
The original Mount Mayriv Cemetery was established in 1856. Four acres of land were laid out; purchased for $2400. According to Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries 985 bodies were buried here. The cemetery is listed in the 1874/78 city directories. In 1889 the bodies were re-interred in the new Mt. Mayriv cemetery. The Chicago Tribune of October 7, 1900 reported that “The old Jewish cemetery, at Clark Street & Belmont Avenue, did not escape the spreading-out process of the growing city. This was possibly the only instance where no bodies remained in the old ground, for every grave was identified & removed to a locality further north.” Some bodies were transferred from the Chicago Cemetery while others were re-interred in 'Jewish Graceland' - to be mentioned later in this post. According to Guide to Jewish Genealogy in Chicagoland, ' 150 graves were moved from the Chicago City Cemetery to the southwest corner of Belmont and Clark in 1854. These graves were supposedly moved again to Zion Gardens/Mt. Mayriv in 1889. There are a number of gravestones in the F section at Zion Gardens/Mt Mayriv that are almost undecipherable which may be these graves. The oldest date that could be read was a death date of 1857.' 
The newer Mt. Mayriv is located within Zion Gardens (Cemetery) located at 6758 W Addison Street.
a 1889 Sanborn Fire Map of the former site
The Cemeteries of the Township/City
probably named after 'wild white roses'
illustration - Rosehill Walking Tours-Facebook
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
‘In 1864, the remarkable East Gatehouse was built to house the cemetery administration building. The architect was William W. Boyington; the style was “castellated Gothic.” The East Gatehouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The National Register Report noted: “Examples of castellated Gothic are rare in the Midwest and this stone structure by Boyington, in being an exceedingly well designed example of the style, ranks among those few that still exist.” Castellated Gothic is a style of architecture easily recognized by Chicagoans familiar with another landmark - the old Water Tower and Pumping Station at Michigan and Chicago Avenues. Designed by Boyington five years after Rosehill’s gatehouse, the Water Tower was the only building to survive the Chicago Fire in 1871.
Castellation refers to the parapet design with alienating indentations and raised stonework reminiscent of a medieval castle. This Victorian Gothic style was a revival of medieval English architecture and was used for its picturesque effect. The building material chosen for the gatehouse was a buff colored limestone that came from the Joliet area. This same stone masonry construction can be seen in some early Chicago churches and in the foundations of some of the older homes in Edgewater. 
Adjacent to the cemetery’s East Gate, and built of the same stone, once stood Rosehill’s Chicago & NorthWestern Railway Station. It was very important in the days before autos allowed easy access to outlying cemeteries, when periodic cemetery visits were still part of the social pattern. Bodies of the rich were transported from the city on special funeral trains; bodies of the middle, working and indigent classes rode on the baggage cars of regular trains. The stop was demolished 25 years ago. All that remains is a stairway and the elevator once used to lower coffins from track-side to ground level.
According to the custom of the time, visiting Rosehill in the second half of the 19th century was a daylong social event. Families and friends gathered to perform customary cemetery rituals, but also to visit, picnic and party in the park’s beautifully landscaped setting. A trolley car transported people around the grounds.’ 
– Edgewater Historical Society in 1995
Library of Congress
'The Officers and Board of Managers of Rosehill sought to increase Rosehill’s reputation in the years immediately following its creation. Between 1859 and 1860 they published several booklets with information on the cemetery, its dedication, and, most importantly, its lot holders. These early lists of lot holders feature names of prominent nineteenth century Chicagoans and were published in an effort to pressure their peers into purchasing lots at Rosehill. 
The Board of Managers also engaged the public and the [City of Chicago] in conversations about the closing of the Chicago City Cemetery. Primary subjects included availability and price of plots for disinterred remains from that location.  In the end, some of the first residents of Rosehill were those moved from the City Cemetery.' - The Civil War and Chicago
2017 photo - Marianne Golk via Original Chicago-Facebook
1894 Sanborn Fire Map of the area of Rose Hill
 Entrance to Rose Hill was via Front Road and railway
map via Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries
According to Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries the area was between a mix of low sand hills and marshland. A creek ran through the area, fed by an underground spring. The meandering river-like roadway cemetery was planned as a landscaped memorial park set far away from urban Chicago.
photos - Ravenswood Walking Tours-Facebook
An Account 1884
History of Cook County, Illinois 
by A.T. Andreas 
One of the most beautiful homes for the dead in the country is Rosehill Cemetery six miles and a half north of the city. The elevation of the ground varies from thirty to forty-feet above Lake Michigan and no other locality within easy distance of the city could have been chosen combining all the advantages of accessibility and good drainage facilities. The grounds which are available for cemetery purposes include about five hundred acres of which two hundred are now platted and improved. From the artesian well which has been sunk to a depth of 2,278 feet and through a system of iron pipes the cemetery is well supplied with water for sprinkling purposes. The beautiful artificial lakes are fed by natural springs and the adjacent grounds are set apart for ornamental purposes. Most of the avenues drives and walks have been macadamized large and handsome green houses and conservatories have been erected and everything possible has been done to keep pace with the growing demands of the wealthy and generous people of Chicago; many of whose friends and kindred are here sleeping their last sleep. The Masons, Odd Fellows, Good Templars, Firemen's Benevolent Association, Typographical Union,
St. Andrew's and St George's societies Batteries A and B and Bridge's Battery are among the benevolent and patriotic organizations here represented. The Firemen's Monument was erected at a cost of $15,000 and the beautiful Military Monument erected at the joint expense of the county and the Board of Trade is an imposing ornament. There are also fine monuments erected to the memory of the soldiers by the different batteries and by H.O. Stone also others to the memory of General Ransom and P.F.W. Peck which are particularly worthy of mention. The main entrance to Rosehill Cemetery consists of an elegantly constructed stone edifice of castellated style which contains a chapel for the use of those desiring divine services. On the 9th of February 1859 a legislative act was approved to incorporate the Rosehill Cemetery Company its members include William B Ogden. 
Rail entrance 
 Daily News Archives 1907
Special Train Service in 1859
along the old Chicago Northwest - Milwaukee line
Was the best way to travel from Chicago
1909 photo - Player with Railroads
2016 view of the stairs to the tracks
via Christopher Brandt Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
by Andreas Simon
(see Table of Contents)
'One of the largest and most beautiful of the cemeteries surrounding our city is Rosehill. It contains within its enclosure 300 acres of ground but may be enlarged at any time when it becomes necessary to 500 acres. The grounds were dedicated on July 28th 1859 which was an occasion of no small significance. Rosehill is situated 6 miles north of the [Chicago] Court House and is reached either by the Green Bay Road [ Clark Street] or the Chicago and North Western Railroad. At the time when this cemetery was laid out many of the 100,000 inhabitants our city had then considered the distance from it much too great but yet even the people who had originally laid out the old city grave yard now Lincoln Park were found fault with for locating it too far out of the city. Yet it took very few years before the growing city put its monster arms around it and it became necessary to dig out the remains of those laid to rest there but a short time before and to transfer them to cemeteries further distant the dead had to give way to the living.
 photo - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography 
for infant Marie Jung in 1863
And today again circumstances are taking the same turn once more for Rosehill, St Bonifacius [Boniface], Graceland, the German Lutheran cemetery and two Jewish burial grounds yet further south are now all within the city limits and are surrounded on all sides by human dwellings which in some locations in the neighborhood of Graceland are very rapidly growing in number. And how long will it be before the cemeteries mentioned at least the ones nearest the heart of the city will have to give way to the living their necessities and improvements? Nothing will be able to withstand the growth of this still young giant not even death. Rosehill was selected as the general city burial grounds by a committee appointed at the time by the [Chicago] City Council chiefly on account of its high and consequently dry location the same being 30 to 40 feet above the level of Lake Michigan an advantage of great importance in a cemetery. 
At the dedication of the cemetery there were present as many as 8000 to 10,000 people conducted under the auspices of the Order of Freemasons. The dedicatory address was delivered by Dr JC Blaney then the President of the Cemetery Company.' 
In tribute to the confederate dead
Many of their remains were moved here when the park - Lincoln Park expanded southward from its original location
 Monument called Our Heros
that has more photos of it
(click article to enlarge)
from Graceland Cemetery: a design history 
by Christopher Vernon
built in 1888
1889 photo - Art Institute of Chicago
 veterans from various branches of military service 1911
Daily News Archives via Explore Chicago Collection
 veteran assemble 1911
Daily News Archives via Explore Chicago Collection
Civil War veterans on Dedication Day 1916
Daily News Archives via Explore Chicago Collection
1911 Daily News Archives via Explore Chicago Collection
Rosehill celebrated its' 100th in 1959 
(click article to enlarge)
 page 2
Leonard Wells Volk monument 
He was the most dominant designer of several of 
better-known public monuments at Rosehill.
George S. Bangs, inventor of the Railway Post Office Car
and below
The Horatio N. May Chapel 
by Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography - 2018
Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography - 2018
A Re-Enactment 
Robert Krueger 1993-95


 

Beginning in 1993 a full research of the departed began by historian David Wendall. He discovered that many of the departed was lying in the ground unnoticed. Read more...
Photography by Chris Christenson
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 
View more photos of the cemetery via Google images and key-wording the words Flickr and Rosehill. With this link are the names of military personnel who were buried at this cemetery as of 1922. Here is a partial listing with 
grave photos of those buried in this cemetery by clicking on name for grave photo. 
The Rosehill Mausoleum 
Kyle Kriegzmann via Original Chicago-Facebook 
Reverted back to Nature
 2016 Google Earth view of the cemetery
along with a zoomed view of the area of restoration 
As a side note, read about the preservation of an area of the cemetery that was never used and transformed into a 
photos - West Ridge Nature Preserve
The Cemeteries Along Clark Street

The Eternal Silence
2004 photo - Find a Grave
1894 Sanborn Fire Map 
both photos - Chicago History Museum 
An Account 1884
History of Cook County, Illinois by A.T. Andreas 
"The founding of Graceland Cemetery was in pursuance of the general demand for extramural interments. In 1860 Thomas B. Bryan purchased the eighty-six acres which now comprise the principal portion of the grounds. By act of Legislature passed February 22, 1861. Mr Bryan with William B Ogden, Edwin H Sheldon, Sidney Sawyer, George Healy, and others were incorporated as the Graceland Cemetery Company the five persons named constituting the first board of managers. The act granted to the company the privilege of acquiring a tract of land to be used for cemetery purposes not to exceed five hundred acres. The act also exempted the lots from taxation execution or attachment and provided that none of the cemetery land should be condemned for right of way. Mr Bryan was chosen president of the board and continued is that position until 1865. James L Reynolds then serve three years and Mr Bryan again became president remaining in office from 1868 to 1878. Thomas b Patterson was the incumbent from 1878 to 1881 when Bryan Lathrop at present in office became president of the company. The present officers of the company are Bryan Lathrop president and treasurer, Thomas E Patterson secretary, JH Lathrop, Thomas E Patterson, Bryan Lathrop, CW Litchfield, and Owen Aldis, board of managers. In 1861 the company purchased forty-five acres of the original plat in 1864 
thirty-five acres to the east and in 1867 one hundred and nine acres north. Thus by the latter year they had purchased two hundred and seventy five acres of land.The final limits of Cemetery were thereby fixed. Graceland Cemetery is situated near the lake shore northeast of Belle Plaine station and about two miles north of Lincoln Park.
Greeta Hootman via Pictures of Chicago-Facebook
25 year old fireman who died in 1857 
It is reached by horsecars or by the broad drive along the lakeshore and through the park. Before long also it is anticipated that trains will be running directly to it over the Chicago & Evanston line. A station house has already been constructed by the company which is really an architectural ornament containing besides public accommodations the neat office of the cemetery. The spacious grounds which are formed by a series of ridges have a complete system of drainage the main sewer having been constructed to Lake Michigan at a cost of $10,000 Living springs supply the artificial gems of water and by means of a steam pump water is carried through a network of iron pipes to all parts of the ground. Thus it is that even during the most parching the wide and beautiful lawns are always cool and green. The air of freedom and the unobstructed view of the magnificent grounds are to be preserved far as possible by excluding all lot enclosures or boundaries by restricting the height of the monuments to a few inches and by limiting the of large monuments. Conspicuous among the architectural beauties of the place may be mentioned the and yet simple monument of W.M. Hoyt, just completed the gothic mausoleum of H.H. Taylor, fine obelisk of Washington Smith, the stately column of T.M. Avery, the Corinthian column its statue of I.B. Shipman, the tasteful monuments E.H. Haddock, CB Blair, William Blair, Whitbeck, WD Fuller, and the massive tomb William J Wilson. Many of Chicago's historical are here recorded William B Ogden, George Manierre, Mahlon D Ogden, Jonathan Burr, John H Kinzie, Norman B Judd, Justin Butterfield, Alexander Fullerton, Walter L Newberry, WF Coolbaugh, Eli B Williams, and John Calhoun. Up to the present thirty seven thousand interments have been made Graceland Cemetery."
 
Entrance as of 1908
Graceland Cemetery: A Design History 
by Christopher Vernon
W.L Flower Map 1862 Library of Congress
highlights the original property 
the landscape view 1879
with community of Ravenswood as a neighbor
image - Graceland Cemetery: A Design History
by Christopher Vernon
unknown date - Ebay
Graceland Cemetery: A Design History
by Christopher Vernon
1872 receipt - Ebay 
1874 grave receipt - Calumet412 via Lance Grey
Certificate covers of document below 1867

3 images - Ebay
 The letters in this 1884 map would be replaced by names that reflected the landscape of the particular section
Graceland Cemetery: a design history by Christopher Vernon
 
images - Graceland Cemetery: a design history
 by Christopher Vernon 


1894 Sanborn Fire edited Map indicates the location of the railroad station that was once located along the Chicago, Milwaukee-Evanston tracks (now the location of the Redline) off Buena Avenue with current view via Google Maps.
1901 photo - Art Institute of Chicago
1909 photo - Art Institute of Chicago
"There are many legends surrounding the eerie obelisk, arguably the most famous being that upon looking into its eyes a person could see the nature of their own death" according to an online article called 'Hidden Chicago: Eternal Silence'. Read more from this article...
  Greeta Hootmand via Picture of Chicago-Facebook
Raymond Kunst - Fine Art Photography
Sullivan, Louis H., Tomb 1924
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
photo - Richard Nickel
Rachy Rach via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
 Rachy Rach via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
Rachy Rach via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
Frailey Monument 1910 
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
 
  Root, John Wellborn, Monument 1895
photo - Art Institute of Chicago

Schoenhofen Tomb 1893
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
The Dedication of Graceland Cemetery 
1860 Chicago Daily News 
To read this article google 'Chicago Public Library-Chicago Tribune'. The reader will need a CPL card to gain access.
(click article to enlarge)
A Dr. Conrad Sulzer Contribution
Conrad Sulzer, noted as one of the first Euro settler in the township owned property along the new cemetery & donated his original property to the Graceland Cemetery Company.


images - Graceland Cemetery: 
A Design History by Christopher Vernon
Martin Ryerson Monument built 1875
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
Lake View Township vs Graceland 
(1869-79)
The Township of Lake View had some interesting discussions about their expansion beyond their initial land purchase. The conflict involved lost taxation to the township treasure.
images below - Graceland Cemetery: 
A Design History by Christopher Vernon
The Conflict Part I
photo - Chicago History Museum
The Conflict Part II

 



The gate lock of Ryerson Tomb 
via Joey Korom, Pictures of Chicago-Facebook
And Then in 1879 the Final Expansion
 

 

photo - Chicago History Museum
photo - Calumet412
The Original Sections & Avenues Within:
 Edgewood section
 Maplewood Section
Ridgeland section
 Chapel Elms section
 Hazelmere section
Willowmere section
Fairlawn
Single Groves
The Chapel Elms
 Lake Avenue
 Main Avenue
 Maple Avenue
Woodlawn Avenue
images above - Graceland Cemetery: 
A Design History by Christopher Vernon
 
tomb of Mrs. Potter Palmer - 1918
- Chicago Daily News Archives
 Memorial Day 1902
Daily News Archive
 Memorial Day 1905
Daily News Archive
Interned
Captain Streeter 
the man of founded the neighborhood of Streeterville, was buried here but not by choice.
Mrs. Robert A. Kinzie
Eternal Silence
All photos + captions were submitted by TJ Casey to Forgotten Chicago-Facebook in 2016. I included the links.
Read about the less known but important folks buried here. 
photography by Rick Drew
Photography by TJ Casey 
Photography by TJ Casey 
Photography by TJ Casey 
 Carrie Eliza tomb
photography by Richard Nickel
Photography by Claudia Rosales 
Photography by Claudia Rosales 
Photography by Claudia Rosales 
Photography by Claudia Rosales 
 photography by Alfonso Ramos
  photography by Alfonso Ramos
  photography by Alfonso Ramos
 photography by Alfonso Ramos
Ernie Banks




Winter in Graceland
by Chris Cullen 
via Pictures of Chicago-Facebook
Notes: View more photos of this cemetery via Flickr.
With this link are the names of military personnel who are buried at this cemetery as of 1922. Here is a partial listing with grave photos of those buried in this cemetery - some long forgotten - click on name for grave photo & information.
St. Boniface Cemetery
Established in 1863
St. Bonfacius German Catholic Cemetery known currently 
as Boniface Cemetery was the first of the German-American owned cemetery that contains the burials of the successful builders of the then German community
2010 photo - Find a Grave
According to Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries this cemetery was named after Saint Boniface, a scholar, teacher, & missionary who for 36 years served the so called pagan tribes of Germany.  Saint Boniface is known as the “Apostle of Germany.” The cemetery underwent extensive renovation in the 1960’s, with the old gate removed to permit better vehicle passage.  This cemetery once located in rural Lake View Township found itself surrounded by the 21st century city with no additional land available for growth.
2013 photo - Find a Grave
According to an online source 'Find a Grave' the first internment at St. Boniface was for a 9-day old infant named Marie Jung. This burial took place on October 19, 1863. Currently, there have been 90,501 burials at St. Boniface. While this cemetery no longer has any grave space available for purchase current burials are still held for persons who hold a deed to an unused plot.

1894 Sanborn Fire Map (top of map)
image - Chicago Cook County Cemeteries
Chicago, The Garden City by Andreas Simon 1893
street-view east on Lawrence Avenue 1891
1950's photo - UIC Images of Change
A Civil War Monument along Clark Street

When German was the dominant language 
and when Lake View was a township/city 
photos - HMbd
photo - Graveyards of Chicago
Widow dies at husband's grave 1896
page 2
photo - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography  
View more photos of Boniface Cemetery via Flickr.
With this link are the names of military personnel who are buried at this cemetery as of 1922. Here is a partial listing with grave photos of those buried in this cemetery - some long forgotten - click on name for grave photo. Also view more photos from Explore Chicago from the late 1980's.
Wunders Cemetery
once known as the German Lutheran
Established in 1863
2004 photo - Find a Grave
According to Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries this cemetery while established as a German-American north side cemetery was by 1919 renamed after a Rev. Heinrich Wunder (18301913) who was the second pastor of First Saint Pauls Evangelical Lutheran Church along with Immanuel Lutheran Church. 'Despite the small size of the cemetery, records indicate over 28,000 burials in a cemetery. A large baby section could accommodate more burials per acre. Pastor Wunder had personally made 4,970 burials by March 1906, according to a news account of that date.'
Pastor Heinrick Wunder
photo - St Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church

2009 photo - Find a Grave
2009 photo - Find a Grave
1894 Sanborn Fire Map of the area
 presently known as Wunder’s Cemetery.
The German Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery is popularly called Wunder Cemetery in honor of the well known German divine Rev Henry Wunder. It was laid out in 1860 and contained only four and one half acres In 1866 it was increased to fourteen and one half acres But few burials are made in it now all the lots having been taken twelve years ago. - Marquis's Hand Book of Chicago
 - Chicago, The Garden City by Andreas Simon 1893
 
 
images from Gravely Speaking  
With this link are the names of military personnel who are buried at this cemetery as of 1922.
View more photos of this cemetery via Flickr.
Established as early as 1850's
a group of smaller congregational cemeteries in one
2016 photo - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography 
1887 Sanborn Fire Map
image - Historic Map Works
'The Hebrew Benevolent Society was founded in 1851. Its founders included David Witkowsky, an early president of Congregation B'nai Sholom (the second oldest synagogue in Chicago, now a part of K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Congregation). One of the society's main purposes was to create a Jewish burial ground. There already was a similar group, the Jewish Burial Ground Society, which operated a cemetery in what is now Lincoln Park, [the park]. This Lincoln Park cemetery, which was the first Jewish cemetery, soon had to be moved to another site because of its proximity to Lake Michigan. Jewish Graceland would become the second Jewish cemetery in Chicago.' - United Jewish Fund of Chicago
According to my research another Jewish cemetery was located on the southwest corner of Clark & Belmont - from Clark to Sheffield called Mount (Anshe) Mayriv Cemetery.
Chicago, The Garden City 
from historian Andreas Simon 1893
 
photo - Coffee & Attitude
photo - Coffee & Attitude
Gate 1: B'nai Zion (654 burials). The North section (Gate 1) and the South section (Gate 4) are owned by Doris Wess-Ev
Gate 2: B'nai Shalom, KAM (948 burials). The two center sections (Gates 2 & 3) are owned by the Hebrew Benevolent Society
Gate 3: Hebrew Benevolent Society (1249 burials). The two center sections (Gates 2 & 3) are owned by the Hebrew Benevolent Society Hebrew Benevolent Society of Chicago
Gate 4: Chevra Kadisha (837 burials). The North section (Gate 1) and the South section (Gate 4) are owned by Doris Wess-Evon 
Also, Gates 1 and 4 (the north& south sections) are privately owned, while Gates 2 and 3 (the central sections) are owned and maintained by the Hebrew Benevolent Society.
Vandals Strike in 1985
(click on article to enlarge)
 page 2
Veronica Drake via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
Veronica Drake via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
Veronica Drake via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
photos - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography 
(click to enlarge images below)
 
 

 The Congregations Within 
 
 
 
View more photos of this cemetery via Flickr and here is a partial listing with grave photos of those buried in this cemetery, some long forgotten. Please scroll up to read about the apparent first Jewish cemetery on Belmont Avenue from Clark Street to Sheffield called Mount Mayriv Cemetery.
When Cemeteries were
located on Church Property
Old St. Henry's Catholic Church
The other cemetery not listed in the post is the church graveyard of Old St. Henry's Catholic Church that has the oldest remaining attached cemetery in Chicago. 
Read more  about that one in my post about the Catholic Churches of Lake View.
Social Science Research & History
by Discovering Living Behaviors 1986 
article has 4 pages
(click to enlarge segments of this article)
section 2 
 section 3
 section 4

A Post Notes: 
Ridgeville [Township] Cemetery
In the years 1850 to 1857 there was a township called Ridgeville. Ridgeville Township was subdivided mostly into Evanston and Lake View townships in 1857. There was space for the dead that did not include a church graveyard or someone's backyard in the old township. According to Chicago and Cook County Cemeteries this cemetery was "once located the northwest corner of Ridge and Greenleaf Avenues. A Henry Clarke bought eighty acres of land from the Government on September 28, 1840. He and his wife, Lorinda were granted a land patent on March 10, 1843. Henry Clark deeded approx. one-half acre of this land to the township trustees on December 2 1846, for use as a cemetery and school, described  “for the quick and the dead.” The property is described on various documents as being of slightly different size. One document shows .55 acre, 22 rods (363′) by 4 rods (66′). Another document described the property as being forty chains (264′) by 1 chain 25 links (82.5).  When the city of Evanston was platted about 1853, the cemetery lot fell outside the Evanston City limits. A log school house and meeting house, used for school, social events, and for Sunday worship. was called the Grosse Point School house, and was built by Samuel Reed about 1841 or 1842. It was believed to be located on the southeast corner of the property. The cemetery was on the rear (west end) of the lot, between Greenleaf and Lee Street. The First Methodist Episcopal Church began here, conducting services at the school house between 1846 and 1855. They shared the building with others including the Baptists and the Presbyterians. Historical accounts refer to parishioners visiting the cemetery after Sunday services to tend to the graves of their loved ones. Cemetery lots were sold for two dollars each. Each lot would contain space for ten graves. By 1890 most bodies were removed to another cemetery not specified in historical accounts. The cemetery had been in such poor condition that the City of Evanston prepared an ordinance declaring the cemetery a nuisance. It was stated that the cemetery had been neglected for many years. In 1900, workers found two skeletons from this cemetery while digging a sewer. Today there is a family residence on the property."
And here is a list of all the cemeteries in Illinois. Read more about re-interments of graves from one cemetery to another by WBEZ as well the mention of those cemeteries with this link.

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!



Post a Comment