June 15, 2015

Modern Transport

Transportation 
Travels North & Northwest
 This post is related to Transport Lake View and another post called North Shore at Belmont. This particular post is a tale 
of the northward expansion of transportation in both the City of Chicago and the former Township/City of Lake View. 
near Newport Avenue and Racine 1905-ish
The Gripman - Chicago Cable Cars, Harper’s Weekly 1893 via Calumet412
Chicago at one time did claim to have the largest streetcar system in the world, with a fleet of over 3,200 passenger cars and over 1,000 miles of track – a claim backed up in several sources we found. It all started in 1859 with a horse-drawn car running along a single rail track down State Street. By the 1880s, a handful of different streetcar companies were in operation across the city. Gradually, the horse-drawn lines were replaced with cable cars – so called because they hooked to a constantly moving cable underneath the street. Electric streetcars powered by an overhead trolley line gradually replaced the cable cars.
According to WBEZ, 'a Chicago streetcar was a two-man operation — “man” is appropriate here, since CSL crews were all male. The motorman was the driver. He operated from a standing position at the front of the car. Since his vehicle was on tracks, he didn’t have to worry about steering.
Fares were collected by the conductor. Passengers entered at the rear doors, paid the conductor, and passed into the car. When everyone was aboard, the conductor signaled the motorman by clanging a bell, and off they’d go. Exit doors were in the front.

Car stops were indicated by a white band painted around the black pole that supported the trolley wire. Passengers waited on the curb, then walked into the street to board the car when it stopped. Wide streets, like Western Avenue, had safety islands located in the street next to the track.'
In 1914, the streetcar companies unified under a new name: Chicago Surface Lines. A nickel would get you a ride to just about anywhere in the city. The advent of affordable automobiles in the 1920's caused streetcar ridership to decline – but streetcar operators weren’t going to just give up. In 1929 they formed the Presidents’ Conference Committee, or PCC, which determined that the way to stop the decline in ridership was to make streetcars as fast, smooth, convenient and comfortable as the family car.
Chicago was chosen as the 'guinea pig' city to test two experimental designs. The winning design became known as the PCC car and was used in cities all over the country. Chicago ordered 600 of them in 1945 and 1946. Here they were nicknamed Green Hornet streetcars because of their speed and the Chicago Surface Lines’ green paint job.
At almost the same time the Chicago Surface Lines and the ‘L’ were consolidated as the CTA – and the CTA’s general manager Walter McCarter wasn’t a fan of streetcars and their unsightly web of overhead wires. He oversaw phasing out streetcars in favor of buses starting in 1947, just a year after the Green Hornets went into service. The last Chicago streetcar click-clacked down Vincennes Avenue on June 21, 1958. There are still lasting vestiges of the streetcar system in Chicago. Many of today’s CTA bus routes and route numbers are the same as they were in the days of streetcars. And as for the tracks – a few of the streets had the tracks pulled up, but most were covered with asphalt and are still in the streets under pavement.
Transportation license for a horse
Forgotten Chicago-Facebook contributor Chris Mason
Transportation routes 
that included Green Bay Road (Clark Street) - 1850
As of 1861 rail tracks for public transportation - streetcars were planned along Green Bay Road (Clark Street) and Evanston (Broadway) Avenue. The residents along Evanston Avenue would have a hate/love relationship with new technology of its day. The residents loved their horses and did not like private companies telling them what they needed.
image - Chicago Transit by David Young
A steam engine called the 'dummy' train was used along Evanston Road (Broadway Avenue) from Fullerton Avenue to Graceland Cemetery during 1870's. The first car of this steamed powered train was designed for the engine. The engine was enclosed so that it would look like a passenger car, hence the name 'dummy'. The story goes that if the horses saw the engine they would get spooked.
City of Chicago connects with 
Township of Lake View 1864
As a reminder the City of Lake View was annex to the City of Chicago in 1889. This new annexed area was a power-house of sorts in city politics at the time.
Residents demand better Service 1891
page 2
Major railroad and cable routes 1895
 a zoomed view of the north side
 New service proposed along Evanston Avenue 
to Evanston Township 
Evanston=Broadway Avenue
Graceland=Irving Park Road
Jefferson=Lawrence Avenue
Church=Devon Avenue
A Gap in Service along Evanston Avenue 1895
Map indicating public transportation routes - 1893
Read more about the rail transportation system 
In this period of time both the surface and elevated tracks were owned the Northwestern Railroad Company.
 Addison (surface) Rail Station
  Addison Station - zoomed
 Belmont (surface) Station - lower left
 Belmont Station - lower left zoomed
 Edgewater (surface) Station 
Edgewater Station - zoomed
The Two Ends of Old Lake View:
The Car Barns
photo - John Keating via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
1990's photo - Chicago Rail Fan.com
Car barns would be basically garages where mass transit vehicles would be housed and maintained. The most notable barns were 'The Limits' and Devon Avenue Carbarn. According to ChicagoRailFan.com the 'Limits' was coined the barn was near the border separating the City of Chicago with the City of Lake View along Clark Street.
and were some further north ....
Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger

Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon-Broadway car-barn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon Street Car-House(barn)
mid 1950's photo - TheTrolleyDodger.com
Devon Street was the northern border of the former City of Lake View with a construction of 1901. According to the Rogers West Park Ridge historical Society the property occupied two complete blocks along Clark Street. The building was closed in 1957 due to the transfer of electrical streetcars to gas powered buses.
Evanston Avenue and Ardmore carbarn with enlargement
photo - Trolley Dodger
The other notable barn of its time was located in the then community of and now neighborhood of Edgewater, According to the Edgewater History Society this barn was and still is located at 5837-5845 Broadway Avenue aka the former Evanston Avenue. 
1894 Sanborn Fire Map highlights a car-barn complex owned by North Chicago Street Railroad Company.
 For those railroad buffs a pdf handbook on the company.
photo - Chicago Transit and Railfan - 1914
red dots indicated car-barns 
from one location to another 
were the following until the mid 20th century
The Belmont route ranged from Belmont & Halsted to Belmont & Central.  The Broadway route ranged from Devon & Clark to State & Polk. The Halsted route had several connections but for the north-side the route range was from Waveland & Broadway to Halsted & 79th Street. The Irving Park route ranged from Irving & Broadway to Irving & Neenah. The Lincoln Avenue route had several connections but for the north-side the route ranged from Ravenswood & Rosehill to Dearborn & Polk. The Southport route ranged from Clark & Southport to Polk & Dearborn.
image - Chuckman Collection
This poster shows all the elevated companies 
of this time period - all were privately owned
 
 1913 pamphlet
1914
photo - Wikipedia
Can you pick the stations that no longer exist today? 
Now, Some more Background:
 Chicago's population continued grew from the annexation of a number of townships that included City and former township of Lake View; reaching 1 million by 1890. The several street railway company executives began looking for more efficient ways to carry the growing number of commuters. The use of small steam locomotives called “dummies” to pull streetcars was not as successful, but after 1882 many horse-car lines and dummy trains were successfully converted to cable powered streetcars, and after 1890 to electric trolley cars. 
Increased traffic congestion in downtown Chicago in 1892 led to the construction of the city's first elevated railways but not before 'The Battle of Lake View' (P.47) was resolved in 1890. That so called public opinion and legal battle began on Southport Avenue near Clark Street twenty years earlier in 1874. By 1924 the Chicago "L" system was a unification of lines built and formerly operated by competing private companies, although the operations of the previous companies were maintained as divisions of the united systematic unit. In 1947, the system went public and underwent many changes before taking on its present form now currently as the Chicago Transit Authority - CTA.
 Animal power to motor power in the 
Township of Lake View 1866
The Timeline of the Company
1893  The NorthWestern Elevated Railroad Company is incorporated. The entire rail system (surface and elevated) operated until 1995. This was the main Midwestern rail connection for the Township/City of Lake View from Chicago to other locations north of the main station. 
1895 The Chicago Tribune article-commentary below tells a tale about the older transportation structure of Evanston (Broadway) and the newer transport system along Halsted Street. (click to enlarge article below)
1890's Read about the twistand turns of the elevated 
provided by WBEZ along with an interesting fact about the SheridanStation elevated route curve.
1896 The first steel of the 'L' structure outside the loop is erected at Fullerton and Sheffield Avenues. 

This website tells a tale about the corruption of the transportation systems and the private companies in Chicago that owned them, in particular 'robber baron' Charles Tyson Yerkes (section 4) who used his privately owned surface rail system in Chicago on Clark Street to reach his pet project - Ferris Wheel Park. 
On Willow Street apparently looking towards 
Clybourn Avenue 1897
1897  The structure stretches from Dayton Avenue (near the intersection of Halsted Street and North Avenue) to Buena Avenue. Work is suspended due to financial problems. Another extension is granted, pushing to deadline to January 1, 1899. Also, 1897 the residents of the new District of Lake View protested against a Yerkes land grab.
(click to enlarge the article)
1899  Most of the surface rails between Halsted Street and Montrose Avenue are in place.
1900  A train leaves Wilson Avenue in defiance of a commissioner's order. Four policemen board at Wrightwood Avenue and placed the crew under arrest.
Forgotten Chicago on Facebook, David Daruszka contributor
Before the Wilson Elevated Station there was the 
Sheridan Park Station
1900ish
1904 - The Northwestern Elevated and the Chicago
with the Sheridan Depot on the right of photo
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway reach an agreement allowing rapid transit to route to Evanston Township, via the St. Paul's tracks (the two lines meet at Wilson Avenue). Privately held franchise problems stalled on an official agreement for another three years. The photos above show Sheridan Park Depot located near Wilson Avenue and Evanston (Broadway) Avenue before the elevated was constructed to be later shared with a much larger space with the Wilson Station. Wilson Station at one time served both the ground and elevated rails. 
1910 photo - Ebay
construction phase of the Yards on top of the ground rails
 photo - Uptown Update via Calumet412
farm country on Evanston & Wilson Avenues 
photo - Uptown Update via Calumet412
The guts of the Wilson Station Station before the elevated 1900-ish from Evanston (Broadway) Avenue
Daily News Archives
Lower Wilson Station before the elevated 
Chuckman Collection
The lower Wilson Avenue station. This was once the terminal before the “L” was extended north. This station opened on March 5, 1907. The intent was to alleviate crowding at the upper Wilson station, already in use. Lower Wilson closed on August 1, 1949, early in the CTA era. - TrolleyDodger.com
Sidenote: View the new development as of 2013 of the Wilson Yards Station via Facebook with more 
1902 zoomed image - Alabama University
the singular black line indicates the Chicago-Evanston branch of the Northwestern Railroad - south-to-north 
- the only mode of rail transport at this time.
1912 zoomed image - Alabama University
the two white/black lines indicate rail service  
one elevated and one ground - both property of the Northwestern Rail Company. Freight would use the ground service while the commuters used the elevated.
image - Alabama University
1914 view of the rail system from Chicago
 zoomed 1914 rail map of both ground and elevated
image - Alabama University 
1914 legend for the above map
image - Alabama University
1914 legend for the above map
Chicago-Northwestern stop at Lawrence
1952 photo - Russell Woelffer, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago
1900 The North Western Company Elevated after several financial mishaps reopens for service. The stations, north from the Loop, include Halsted, Center (later Armitage), Webster, Fullerton, Wrightwood, Diversey, Wellington, Belmont, Clark, Addison, Grace, Sheridan, Buena Park and Wilson. Stations at Willow and Oak would be added later. The four track structure included express and local trains, with express trains stopping only at Wilson, Sheridan, Belmont, Fullerton, Halsted, Sedgwick, Kinzie and the Loop stations. 
Working along Newport and Racine Streets along the Ravenswood Elevated (Brownline)
Daily News Archives - 1906
1903  A franchise is presented to the city counsel to build an extension of the North Western's tracks to serve the Ravenswood community.
1907  To relieve congestion, a new "lower Wilson Avenue" station and a loop track was built and put into service, with express trains routed to it
Also, that year Ravenswood service is inaugurated to Western Avenue.
1908  Howard Avenue station finally opens, late due to construction delays. Also that year, the construction of an elevated embankment begins in Evanston.
brochure 1913
image - Print Mag
1914  The Chicago City Railway, Chicago Railways Company, Southern Street Railway, and Calumet and South Railway merged to form Chicago Surface Lines - an operationally united but privately owned rail system.
1915 part of a brochure
photo - Print Mag
(1900-1960) photo - Chicago L .com
1916 - Trains on the Lawrence-Howard stretch were moved onto a temporary wooden trestle, allowing the demolition of the original tracks and stations. Construction of the permanent embankment were slowed due to manpower and material shortages caused by World War I.
1922  The new elevated four track main line between Lawrence and Howard were completed. 
1923  The new station at Lawrence Avenue opened. 
Later in the year, a newer and larger station was constructed at Wilson and the original terminal yard is demolished.
1924  Samuel Insull, a utilities magnate who took an interest in public transportation and a visionary, realized that for the sake of the ‘L's continued longevity, it would have to be completely consolidated by publicly held entity, with all the companies officially merging into one. At that time their were four  independently owned and operated ‘L’ lines of which the North Western ground rail system was of one. The Chicago Rapid Transit Company accomplished this and under the CRT, the 'L' service was funded by State of Illinois.
1925  Chicago Surface Lines (before CTA) produced a video about the newest form of transportation - the automobile vs public transit safety.
Surface transportation map 1924
Tickets,Tokens & Brochures
Ticket 1916 
Chuckman Collection
1934 pre-CTA map
TOKENS & PASSES
images by Ebay
 Chicago Rapid Transit weekly pass
Those Tokens
with a graphic demo by WBEZ
Chicago Rapid Transit token

images - Ebay
CTA token - Ebay
The paper transfers

samples of paper transfers 


map pamphlets - Chicagology image
View a movie of the rules of the road from the CSL
 
Surface Line safety certification 1932 & 1937
Forgotten Chicago - Facebook contributor Chuck Edmonson 
1938 Railway System Map
The peak of rail track mileage
 Rapid Transit 
poster 1937
1940 schedule pamphlet
photo(s) - Ebay
The Man who Saved the Elevated
‘Mirroring the country as a whole, the various companies that made up the Chicago "L" coasted through the 1920s on the misguided belief that the good years would never end. It was a time of unbridled prosperity and optimism for America of which the Chicago transit companies proudly demonstrated in their capital improvements during this time. Although ridership was the highest it would ever be, it was utilities magnate Samuel Insull's vast and profitable network of companies that helped offset the usually unprofitable "L", financing new construction, upgraded equipment, and infrastructure improvements. Without Insull's immediate capital improvements it is unlikely that the Chicago "L" and interurbans would have survived the Great Depression. Insull's generous civic spirit and love for the Chicago area also seemed to motivate this desire to acquire and improve these electric lines as much as bottom line profit possibilities. But little did Insull or the "L" know the reversal of fortune October 1929 would bring.’
1947  The Chicago Transit Authority begins operating Chicago's rapid transit trains after purchasing the privately owned Chicago Rapid Transit Company for $12 million. 
a CTA photo 
1954  delivery of new cars to replace the older fleets
rolling out the signs in 1954
photo -  CTA web via TimeOut Chicago 
1958  The last streetcar (video) was recorded with a scene passing Lake View High School turning from Addison into Ashland Avenue.
 
 
1950ish pamphlet - Ebay
The A/B System in 1970
 images - York M Chan via LakeView Historical-Facebook 
with a more local zoomed look below
 
1974 Marker
El stop markers light combinations 
Ray Piesciuk via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
1981  View the Ravenswood AB RouteThe footage begins at Belmont toward the Loop.
1994  The CTA officially changes the last of it's route names to color designations. The lines are now as follows: Red Line (Howard-Dan Ryan); Blue Line (O'Hare-Forest Park-54/Cermak); Orange Line (Midway); Brown Line (Ravenswood); Purple Line (Evanston); Green Line (Lake-Ashland/63-East 63rd); and Yellow Line (Skokie Swift).  
image - Ebay
Since 1949 til the mid 1990's L transport was divided between A & B stations. For example, the Addison B station would be bypassed by a A train so the A train could run express to its next A station.
1999  The CTA retires the token as the exchange for a ride accepting only Transit Cards and cash fares (on buses and in turnstiles) as payment.
2012  New Planning and Expansion projects for CTA tracks particularly the Redline. The solid bold red line indicated a slight realignment along the existing route.



2012  CTA may offer 'naming rights' to rail stations to corporations to enhance their budgets for construction.
2013  To ease the auto and rail congestion in the city's 
mid-section there are plans for the Ashland and Western rapid bus  that parallels the Redline station stops. The Ashland Rapid will route through Lake View.
2016  A rail that will connect the Metra with the elevated line.
the overpass north from Belmont Station
a video view
The Old Clark Street Junction Gone!
This was once a part of a regular (control) station platform 
during the first half the 20th century
 photo - Curbed Chicago
above photo - Chicago L. org
below  2002 photo - Chicago Tribune 
DNAinfo & CTA photos
The CTA announced in April plans to construct an additional track at the Belmont station, which connects Brown, Red and Purple lines. The $320 million project, which would be funded with federal grants, could alleviate delays. In November election 2014 the voters in the effect precincts will vote on the project. Listen and view about this project via Chicago Tonight. The opposition has a Facebook presence but Streetsblog mentions the opposition is vocal but not the majority on this issue. 
The 2016 general election may have delayed or ended this project if the city does not receive the funds from D.C. before the Democratic president leaves office. 
In January 2017 weeks before a new DC administration is sworn-in the CTA received their funding for all the planned projects - that includes the Belmont Flyover.
photo - Curb Chicago Lake View
Some of the buildings that will be demolished according to the CTA via Curb Chicago-Lake View along with a complete list of demos for this project. View the latest video renditions of the planned realignment north of Belmont Station. In 2015 DNAinfo asked some important questions about the reason for this overpass with this link. 
The 2016 presidential election created a time sensitive happenstance. A future Republican administration would probably not fund this infrastructure project so the race was on to grant the new funding before January 21st.
The funding includes the following:
According to the CTA the first phase of RPM will rebuild the Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn and Bryn Mawr rail stations and more than a mile of adjacent tracks and track structure. It will also construct a Red-Purple bypass to improve service that will benefit the entire Red Line by improving reliability & increasing capacity so that more trains can be added to alleviate chronic overcrowding during peak travel times.
all images from CTA
The 16 dark green properties include buildings that will be displaced according to the CTA.
both CTA images

photos - DNAinfo
DNAinfo reports that the several year project includes plans to rebuild the 100-year-old embankment that supports the track between Lawrence and Bryn Mawr avenues, making it possible for six to eight more trains per hour to travel from Howard to 95th streets on the Red Line. There is no date set for the bypass.
A BRT along Ashland Avenue
2013 Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) idea for Ashland Avenue was approved that year for an express bus from 95th through LakeView ending at Irving Park Road. Check out the conversion on Facebook. Read more about the plans via Chi.Streets.Blog.
Can the Streetcars come back? 
maybe ... along Clark Street

Until the 1950's Chicago had the biggest streetcar system the world had ever seen, John Krause the architect who founded the movement called Chicago Streetcar Renaissance explains that virtually every major street had an electric streetcar line. But in the postwar era diesel buses and private cars replaced the trams and soon the roads became snarled with traffic. Nowadays Chicago is ranked as one of the most congested cities in the country, with the cost of time wasted in traffic estimated at $7.3 billion a year. 
2014  Take a ride on the Redline from Howard to 95th and then take a ride on the Brownline from Kimball to the Loop.
2015 The Wilson Station begins a renovation to become the super hub of transport for the north side. View a pictorial timeline of images for this station below: 
1900ish - Chicago L.org
image - J.J. Sedelmaier via Uptown Update 1907
postcard - Ebay
 Ron Tamulis, Living History of Illinois & Chicago - 1899 
1980 photo - Ebay
 2003
2015  CTA ridership was way up last year! The number of rides provided on CTA’s rail system rose to 238.1 million in 2014, the highest level for rail ridership since the agency began tracking ridership in 1961. View some photography trip from Wilson to Belmont in 1972 - a JJ Sedelmaier album.
2016 image - CTA
demolition 2015
photos by Jim Huffman, Chicago L on Facebook
new tracks are laid  photo - Uptown Update
2015 photo - CTA
2016 photo - CTA
2016 photo - CTA
March 2016 - Chi.Streetsblog
Protecting the Center Piece
2017 photo - J.J. Sedelmaier Productions
photo - Robert Constant via Original Chicago-Facebook
2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook

2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook

 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
below photo - Uptown Update
taking shape
both 2017 photos - Uptown Update-Facebook

Read a detail plan to renovate the Red and Purple lines north of Wilson from an article from DNAinfo particularly for the neighborhoods of Uptown and Edgewater for 2017.
Redline construction chart 
New Federal Administration 
maybe new rules
'The cuts could hinder the RTA’s ability to raise the $12 billion in capital it requires over the next 10 years for the Metra network of commuter trains. In a controversial move, the bill would also privatize the nation’s air traffic control network. Meanwhile, federal highway funding would not be affected.'
TOD - Hugging the Tracks
Transit-oriented development (TOD) is anchored by some form of public transportation, typically a train line. It has been widely accepted as an important planning paradigm to create attractive, livable and sustainable urban environments. The purpose of TOD is to concentrate housing and commercial development close to existing (or occasionally, extended) transit infrastructure, thereby providing an alternative to automobile trips. Most TOD development radiates roughly a half mile – or less than 10 minutes walking distance – from its anchoring rail station - CMAP . The developments in 2015 according to Curbed Chicago are the following:
with more news from DNAinfo and Streetsblog
located one block east of the Redline entrance
more news from 47th ward office and TimeOut Chicago
Other Types of Transport
The Horseless Carriage
But let us not forget about the other form of transportation that arose in the late 19th century. In the early days these mechanized vehicles were still associated with cycling due to its construction and use of the wheel. Automobiles became vogue due to the exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 - the prototype Morrison electric and a gasoline-powered car from Germany was presented to the world.
(enlarge image to view)
Route of the Chicago Automobile Race 1895
The ‘horseless carriages’ didn't receive much notoriety until the Chicago Times-Herald offered $5,000 in prizes to the winner of a round-trip race between Chicago (through the District of Lake View) and Evanston  - two years later. The race attracted considerable attention because only two cars were able to finish despite the fact that a snow storm had deposited a foot of snow on the Chicago area two days earlier. The article below helps tell the story.
(enlarge image to view)

page 2

page 3

A Local Makes his Own
  Mr. Pitkins lived in the East Ravenswood community of Lake View. The back of the image above was signed by the daughter of grand-dad of Lake View Township, Conrad Sulzer. According the publication Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler there was another resident of the District of Lake View who shared Mr. Pitkins adventures. There was William Adams, a Roscoe Street resident, who tested his invented contraption along the only paved roads - Marshfield Avenue between Lincoln and Addison. He apparently  "dropped out of sight forever" sometime in 1902. Two years later a Chicago based company called Rand McNally would produce the first vehicle map for the driving public.
"In 1904, Rand McNally produced what is generally agreed to be the first road map intended for the ''automobilist,'' adapted from bicycling maps." The earliest motorists navigated by using bicycle touring maps that were drawn up by organizations like the League of American Wheelmen. ''The same roads that would have been suitable for bicyclists were also suitable for automobiles because they were almost as fragile,'' said James Akerman, a pre-eminent road map historian and the director of the Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library. ''The first cars were a lot like bicycling mechanisms with a motor on them.'' To make navigating easier on a road system where signs were almost nonexistent, Rand McNally came up with a ''photo-auto guide'' in 1907. The guides were a series of photographs of intersections or landmarks like a big tree or a barn, with text along the lines of ''turn left here.'' The first one was put together by Andrew McNally II, the founder's grandson, and shows the route he took on his honeymoon from Chicago to Milwaukee.' 
'First Came the Car. Then the Wrong Turn'  Voila: The Map.
Newman, AndyNew York Times, Late Edition (East Coast) [New York, N.Y] 11 Oct 2000
Read about the history of the 'wheeled vehicle'
A trailer used for garbage collection that apparently used horses - photo @ 1620 West Grace Street as of 1938
The Bicycle
Cycling began with only a few - hardy males in the 1870's but, within twenty years, Chicagoans of all ages and both sexes were indulging in a heady love affair with the bicycle. By the 1890s, the "wheel" had become a means of both recreation and transportation for almost everyone with enough balance to stay on and enough strength to push the pedals. The entire city, it seemed, was caught up in the cycling craze. In fact, for Chicago as well as the entire nation, the golden age of cycling begun. In 1895, the normally reserved New York Times ranked the discovery and development of the bicycle as "of more importance to mankind than all the victories and defeats of Napoleon," In April of that same year, a writer for Harper's Weekly estimated that four hundred thousand bicycles had been manufactured since the first of January and predicted that production would continue to soar in 1896.
 The Lake View Cycling Club had a clubhouse 
at 401-403 (2226 post address change) Orchard Street

The below jpeg is Stewart Reed Brown on his bicycle. Brown was a member of Lake View Cycling Club racing team and editor of the club’s magazine called 'Dash' 1890.

 Lake View's own Bike Club ... per this 1896 article
(click on article for a better view)

The Consolidation of both Clubs 1897

via Chicagology
with the most notable via this 1894 Sanborn Fire Map
 zoomed area below
extra zoomed - depicting a paint room & machine shop
BACK TO THE FUTURE
The future of cycling for the City of Chicago  2013
Bike Sharing for Chicago
NIMBY on Pine Grove 2013
Divy Bike Station on Pine Grove south of Addison Avenue 
The Divy Stations in Lake View are as follows:
Sheridan Red Line
Grace/Sheffield
Grace/Racine/Clark
Grace/Southport
Grace/Ashland
Waveland/Southport
Waveland/Halsted
Addison/Racine (tentative)
Addison Red Line
Southport Brown Line
Roscoe/Clark
Roscoe/Halsted
Stratford/Broadway
Aldine/Lake Shore Drive
School/Seminary
Belmont/Ashland/Lincoln
Belmont/Southport
Belmont/Racine
Belmont Red Line
Broadway/Belmont
Belmont/Lake Shore Drive
Halsted/Clark
Wellington Brown line
Wellington/Lake Shore
Diversey Brown Line
Diversey/Halsted
Diversey/Lake Shore
Clark/Broadway/Diversey
2015  Read on how Divy Bikes survived a winter - one of the coldest. View the an interactive map of all the latest bikes in our neighborhood with this link. In October DNAinfo reported the usage of the bikes in the city with this interactive map.
Also in 2015 the Lakeview Chamber of  Commerce established a bike district where by local business promote bike travel to their establishments particular during the bike month of May. 
More on Public Transport
2016  First 'RPM' TIF for public transportation approved that includes building developments such as TOD's as well.
Read more about this innovative approach to mass transit via Chicago Cityscape including a interactive map of the 
'Red Purple Modernization Project' that includes Lake View.

‘The CTA says that the popular Red and Browns lines are constrained due to their use of the same infrastructure. So, to boost capacity along these systems, a physical separation may be in order at some point. However, expanding car capacity at the Kimball rail yard is a first step to easing congestion on the Brown Line.’ The new TOD housing plan for the city will for sure deplete capacity in a few years.


Post Notes: 
An interesting Google-book read on cable cars of the past. Also, view recent and countless photographs of Chicago transportation. Also, read an article about the future plans for transportation in Chicago as well as an inactive map site called Transit Future. 

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!
Post a Comment