June 08, 2015

Transport Lake View

Public Transport 
in Old Lake View
This post is a continuation of the another post called 
The Chicagoan

Raymond Kunst - Fine Art Photography 

Sheridan Station Platform 2016
General Background - Chicago
Public transportation began in Chicago in the mid 19th century. The first streetcars were horse-drawn and entered into service on April 25, 1859. The first line ran on State St. between Randolph and 12th Streets. The original streetcars were 12 feet long, held 18 passengers, and operated at 3 mph. Over the next few years, several additional routes were added and by 1866 horse car service went as far south as 39th Street.
In 1882 saw the introduction of cable cars in Chicago. Cable cars were much faster than horse cars, capable of speeds of up to 14 mph. The first cable car line was on State Street north of 21st Street. The first electric trolleys were constructed on North Clark Street and Irving Park Road by 1896.
Note: The first overhead trolley car went into service in 1890 on 93rd Street between Stony Island and South Chicago Avenue. Electrification of horse car and cable car routes was completed in 1906.
Construction of the Elevated Train, Fullerton Avenue, looking south to Belden Avenue, Chicago, c. 1898. Lincoln Park Neighborhood Collection, Archives and Special Collections, DePaul University, John T. Richardson Library 
- Matthew Joseph Verive via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
This 1893 rail and street map indicated the locations of electric vs horse-drawn public used transportation at the time. Some streets had a combo of both types of transport.
A broader view of transportation in 1893 city-wide
Blue indicates cable cars
Green indicates horse-drawn public carriages
Red indicates electric streetcars
photo - Chicago Transit and Railfan
During this time period the general public would have to pay a toll to use public transportation that was owned and operated by private companies much like the tolls currently paid on Illinois and Chicago expressways.

Streetcar heading north 
and location identified by Susan Reibman Groff
photo source - Ebay
On February 1, 1914, all street railway companies in Chicago were unified under one management and became known as the Chicago Surface Lines. Prior to that date service was provided by the following private companies: Chicago Railways Co., Chicago City Railway Co., Calumet & South Chicago River Co., Southern Street Rv. Co., and Chicago and Western River Company. Motor bus service began in Chicago on August 11, 1927 when the first gasoline buses were placed into service on Diversey Avenue. This was followed by the introduction of trolley bus service on April 17, 1930. In 1945, the Chicago Transit Authority was created. On October 1, 1947, the Chicago Transit Authority took over all rapid transit and streetcar service in Chicago.
General Background 
 Township & City of Lake View
According to my limited research one of the first public used rail lines was the extension of the Chicago's Clark Street line from Fullerton Avenue to "40 rods" north of same street. By 1863 township trustees approved rail service on Evanston Avenue (Broadway) in 1863 from Diversey to Graceland (Irving Park Road). The residents along Evanston Avenue had a difficult transition from horse-drawn service vs engine-powered (dummy cars). Dummy cars were streamed powered by which the first car-the engine car was meant to look like a passenger car so not freak the horses. Of course the noise and smoke of the Dummy engine disturb the horses not the sight of it so the horse powered streetcars were re-introduced years later. During this time period Evanston Avenue was referred to as Dummy Road and the Lake View Township #1 (Nettelhorst) was called Dummy School.
In 1876 Lincoln Avenue service (formerly called Little Fort Road) like the Clark Street rail (formerly known as Green Bay Road) connect the City of Chicago with the township that extended service from the city border street of Fullerton Avenue to Wrightwood Avenue. The township trustees approved the extension of Lincoln Avenue service from Wrightwood to Belmont Avenue by 1885. One year later northward expansion of privately owned and publicly used rail service continued on Halsted Street from Fullerton to Belmont Avenues. The alderman of the City of Lake View approved Clybourn service from Fullerton to Belmont Avenues. By 1900 full service was established between the Loop and Wilson Avenue.
Note: The borders of the township and city of Lake View ranged from the existing lakefront to Western Avenue and/or the north branch of the Chicago River - Fullerton Avenue to Devon.
Planning Township Service 1886
Surface Transportation
The North Chicago streetcar #880 ran along Fullerton Avenue to Halsted Street between 1884 and 1895. By 1895 horse drawn was replaced by electric. 
Fullerton Avenue served as the border between Lake View Township/City and Chicago 
CTAweb via Pinterest
Evanston (Broadway) Avenue trolley owned and operated by the Evanston Railway Company - photo prior to 1913 
The photos below were taken in 2014 from a contributor of Forgotten Chicago (on Facebook) during a resurfacing project by the city of Broadway Avenue. My thanks to J. Willelme Banks-De Beauharnais for these photos.
An apparent Clark Street Line streetcar that made a connection to the Evanston (Broadway) electric streetcar - 1890 (one year after annexation) - Calumet 412 
At midnight of Tuesday December 27, 1910 the direct track connection between the Chicago Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) line and the Evanston Chicago Rail line was cut at Clark and Howard without any notice by the owners of the transit company, in an event called “cutting the line.” 
And check out the route to the township of Evanston as of 1897!
Horse-driven Streetcar heading north on Evanston Avenue from the intersection of Clark and Diversey 
- unknown date Chicago History Museum via Calumet412
Evanston Aveune Residents 
not Rapid Transit Ready 1893
Public Transport had Private Owners
1925 photo - Northwest of Chicago on Facebook 
Intersections of Clark, Broadway, and Diversey Parkway 
Notice the marquee in the middle of photo highlighting Diversey Hotel and Diversey Theater now the Days Inn and the Century Mall. As a side note, the first motor operated bus in Chicago was used along Diversey Parkway in 1927.
photo - Chuckman Collection
The intersection of Evanston (Broadway), Clark Street, 
and Diversey Parkway - 1905 - Charles R. Childs photographer
Lincoln south of Wellington 1930's?
photo - Lance Grey via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
German speaking pharmacy @ 2921 N Lincoln
photo - Ron Richter, via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
1894 Electric car service on Clark Street and the connection to Evanston (Broadway) Avenue. Read article below. One private company owned both lines.
Street transportation lines (surface trolleys) within LakeView midsection - eastern Lake View as of 1925
Street transportation lines (surface trolleys) and 
Evanston branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad - thick line within Lake View midsection - 1925
#22 Clark at Clark Street and Sheffield Avenue
photo - Trolley Dodger
#9 Ashland shuttle car passed Addison Street & LVHS
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
photo - Chicago Streetcar Group on Facebook
'Big Brill' passing Grace Street on Clark
This is the Ashland streetcar heading south of Clark Street
#22 Clark & #9 Ashland at Southport & Clark
photo - Trolley Dodger
Join the conversation on this one!
1950ish Southport & Clark Street looking south
west of Graceland Cemetery
The Clark (#22?) going southeast on Clark Street
The photo view is looking north on Halsted Street according to Forgotten Chicago on Facebook contributor Art Colletta - 1950's? Today's current view would be CVS store to the right of the photo and Marshall's dept. store to the left.
1940's? photo - Trolley Dodger via Uptown Update
two transport eras, one intersection - Halsted and Clark 
The Then and Now
# 8 Halsted streetcar heading south from its terminal on Waveland Avenue - 1950's? 
- Forgotten Chicago on Facebook contributor Art Colletta with the same location as of 2013 by Forgotten Chicago on Facebook - contributor Kent Bartram below:
The Waveland Avenue Turn-a-Round
3 photos - Trolley Dodger
 streetcar and then a green hornet heading west on Waveland from Broadway to Halsted Street
photo - Trolley Dodger
Green Hornet heading from Waveland to Halsted
1952 photo - Ebay
Halsted 8 turning on Waveland from Broadway Avenue
 streetcar heading south on Halsted off Clark Street
photo - CTA calendar
1937 Sheridan Road @ Irving Park Road looking north 
Notice the rails for the trolleys with the cobble stones 
photo - Trolley Dodger via Uptown Update
 #36 heading south at Grace Street pass the 
old Chateau Theater renamed Vogue Theater with the 
old Chateau Hotel (Broadway-Sheridan hotel) in the distance
Private Bus Tour on Sheridan Road
(click to enlarge image)
below image - Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs-Facebook
The image below was a trolley car called the 'Big Brill'.
Its' route was from the Grace-Halsted terminal (turn-around) to Madison Avenue in the Loop and then to Austin Avenue. The 'Big Brill route' began in 1910 and ended by 1933.
Note: Read the Facebook comments on the photo below! 
 Devon / Broadway streetcar
Devon Avenue was the border of old Lake View
 Devon / Clark streetcar
Devon Avenue was the border of old Lake View
1925 photo - Ishaq Hani via Northwest side of Chicago on Facebook 
photo - Ebay
Broadway, Clark, & Diversey Parkway 1940's
This photo has great resolution if copied to your computer. Notice the man on the upper right hanging out the window cleaning his window!!
Wellington and Clark Street 1946
Chuckman Collection
streetcars passing the Herdegen-Brieske Funeral Home 
photo via Urbdezine Chicago
Ashland @ Lincoln Avenue - 1947
Irving Park and Broadway 1948 with caption below
Jim Huffman – Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
from my collection, Ed Frank Jr photos
Irving & Broadway 1948
"Looking west on Irving w/a work truck & Red Car #888 about to take the crossover WB, looking east on Irving at Broadway & 2-PCC's. The Red Car has the CSL emblem on the sides, as does a PCC. The CTA when they took over, changed the emblems to CTA as the cars arrived at the Car Barns. There were some routes converted to bus in 1948, Montrose was one of them. The Irving east end & cross over, was west of Broadway. But the tracks continued & connected to Broadway. One of the earliest routings was NB Evanston (Broadway) to Irving & thence WB. Later WB to Clark & NB to Evanston, for a while." Note: WB means 'westboard'.
On Irving Park Road #80 along the cemetery between Sheridan Road and Clark Street both streetcars (right) and trolleys (left) - 1954 
a Belmont Trolley - 1949
at Belmont and Wilton heading east
building to the right was razed for the enlargement of the Belmont Station renovation and enlargement
1955 photo - Growing Up in Chicago-Facebook
Belmont trolleybus at Belmont and Halsted Turnabout - 1961
#77 at Belmont & Southport Avenue 1968 - Ebay
The Diversey Parkway electric trolley - 1950's  
It cost 20 to 25 cents per ride
The #152 traveling west in the Ashland intersection 
next to Lake View High School
photo - CTA calendar
Intersection of Clark Street and Diversey Parkway  with the Parkway Theater to the right
looking south 1955  - Chuckman Collection
#22 Clark Green Hornet late 1940's?
Clark and Surf 1947
photo - TrolleyDodger
Electric #80 Irving stop at the Lake View Post Office
photo - David Behnke via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
The Last Day for the Electric
The last day of electric trolley in Chicago 
On June 21, 1958 while most of us were starting another Saturday morning, Green Hornet #7213 completed her final run on the 22 Clark-Wentworth route. She clanged her bell twice and rolled quietly into the CTA barn at Seventy-Seventh-and-Vincennes, never to be seen again. The age of the electric trolley, let alone the streetcar had ended - video. 
Last run for the Broadway Clark rails  
My thanks to Timothy M. Szarzynski contributor to 
 The #36 Broadway heading north to Devon Avenue garage
unknown date - Chicago Streetcar Group (on Facebook)
The Devon Avenue Car-barn - end of the line north
Another car-barn on Broadway and Ardmore
photo - Chicago Streetcar Group-Facebook
#36 Broadway on State Street
1950's - Cera Archives 
 Part of a longer route
images- Chicago Streetcar Group on Facebook
 this bank sat center stage in this building 
and this 'folk-in-the-road' intersection
key tag - Ebay
Now take a ride in 1956 on the #36 Broadway with this link!
The Following Photos: 
From Forgotten Chicago-Facebook contributor 
Kenneth Josephson - 1940's?
Clark #22 @ Belmont and Clark Street
Broadway # 36 near Surf Street
Clark #22 meets the Broadway #36
photos - J.J. Sedelmaier, Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
On the other side and south of Diversey in Lincoln Park  
photo - Illinois Digital Archives
south of Diversey - Ricketts 
From the B&W photo above you can see the sign for it
 Intersection of Halsted-Broadway-Clark
Clark Street 'Green Hornet' heading south 
past Halsted Street Sandy Troinello, 
The photo image  above is the #78 Montrose 
that had the first new type of trolley bus.
 heading south on Halsted Street passing Clark Street
photo - The Trolley Dodger

west on Waveland Avenue from Broadway to Halsted
photo - The Trolley Dodger

 on Southport Avenue just passing Clark Street
photo - The Trolley Dodger
on Clark toward Southport Avenue
via Edward Kwiatkowski 'North Side Chicago'-Facebook

 traveling from Waveland Avenue to Halsted southbound
photo - The Trolley Dodger

heading south on Clark by Wunder Cemetery
photo - The Trolley Dodger

When the Addison and Diversey buses 
had a direct route to the Loop - 1969
1947 photo of Clark and Surf
photo -Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs-Facebook
waiting at Diversey & Sheridan 1978
photo via Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs-Facebook
#36 heading south passed the original Broadway Methodist Church to Buckingham Place
1970's photo - Dennis Linsky 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
The Struggle to Reinstate the Lincoln
photo - Chicago Tribune
*This bus service ended in 2012 due to reshuffling of CTA resources but after some political battles and with the aldermans' full support temporary service returned in 2016 with a full year extension to a existing pilot program. The struggle now in 2016 is not only to have this service fully reinstated but during its pilot program have the hours of service expanded. This bus service cuts through the middle of Lake View and in my humble opinion the service to the community of Lake View along with its unique connection to other neighborhoods should be fully reinstated along with extended hours of service. As a side note, the #145 was permanently discontinued - see links below on that one.
The Elevated Public Transport
This tentacle-like rail company built both the surface and elevated lines within and throughout the Chicagoland area.
The only location that these two types of lines converged within old Lake View was on Wilson and Broadway Avenues.
1913 North Western Rail Company map
image - Chicago L-org.
The North Western Railway 'EL' was one of five companies that owned and operated both the surface and elevated rail systems until all the companies were sorta consolidated to the Chicago Elevated Railways Collateral Trust that was established by 1913. CTA was not established until 1947.
Map shows the elevated North Western Company rail lines  1914. Damen Avenue was once called Robey Avenue.
Along the Redline
formerly referred 
as the Howard Line
Belmont Station
Michael Steigerwald via Chicago Rapid Transit-Facebook
(click article to enlarge)
The Belmont station opened 1900 as part of the original stretch of the North Western Elevated Line. 
with a flash-forward view of the passenger bridge 

 
1930's photos
 J.J. Sedelmaier via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
photo - CTA calendar
Leaving the Belmont Station 1950's
1964 - Forgotten Chicago on Facebook

via George Kelly Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
another 1964 view with a watermark
image - Ebay
view south 1969 - Calumet 412
another view south 1969 - Ebay
Heading toward the platform 1969 - Ebay
1960's? photo view north
1975 - Chuckman Collection
photo - CTA calendar
Marty Bernard‎ 1972 via Chicago Rapid Transit, Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
Overpass Bridge Views
1972 photo - JJ Sedelmaier
photo - Yo Chicago - before the renovation
photo - JJ Sedelmaier
part is his personal collection hanging on his wall
 
Photos above from a blog called New Daves Real
1968 photo - Mike Tuggle Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
The view is northboard
1978 Chuckman Collection
2001 photo - 'Chicago-L'
photo - Lou Gerard 
via Chicago Rapid Transit Elevated Trains Group
Ravenswood (Brown) train at station - 1979 Calumet 412 
photo - Mariana Nicasio Historic Chicago-Facebook
 via Michael Budrys 1979
 
1979 press photo 
- Ebay
film plate photo - peter ehlich
heading south to the station 1986
View east from platform - 2000
 University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed out view
as well as another view (Flickr) of it at night but in 1988
  University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed out view 
University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed view
2004 photo view north - Chicago Trip
before the renovation of 2007 - 2009
photo - Yo Chicago - before the renovation
begin 37 minutes 30 seconds 
The original station was moved across the street during when the Brownline was renovated - photographer view 1989.
 2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
mosaic artist for the renovated station - David Lee Csicsko
2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2013 photo - Streetsblog Chicago

begin at 37 minutes 30 seconds 
a transit poster advertising the station and its relationship with Wrigley Field and the Chicago Bears in 1929
unknown date
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
photo - Wikipedia
still ground zero of public transit for the games
2015 photo - CTA
image - Ebay
This station from 1949 - mid 1990's was a B station that allowed A trains to bypass it to the next A designated station
 LakeView's Addison Station - 1989 
and reconstructed by 1994
This was the path of the initial section of the Northwestern Elevated Railroad, from Lake and Wells Streets to Broadway and Wilson was cleared in 1895. The installation of the steel  began in 1896. In 1907, Belmont station achieved an importance status, becoming not only a transfer station between expresses and locals but between main line trains to Wilson station and trains to the new Ravenswood branch.  Service began on May 18, 1907, the Ravenswood branch leaves the North Side Main Line just north of Belmont station, making Belmont the first (or last, depending on direction) stop shared by the two services.
Clark Street Station
(decommissioned)
1923 Sanborn Fire Map of the area - edited
highlights the station house and tower
According to Chicago L.org the CTA established massive changes to the north-south Howard route in 1949, three years after the establishment of the Chicago Transit Authority as the replacement to the Chicago Rapid System
 1972 by Marty Bernard Chicago Rapid Transit, 
Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
The concept of "local" stations, of which Clark's low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop concept and the station was closed, serving 357,348 in its last year of operation and say good bye bye to the old junction.
street level @ 934 W Roscoe
1987 photo - Robert Krueger, Chicago Public Library
via Explore Chicago Collections
This project is planned to streamline the cross-over from the Belmont Station to the other stations along the 
Redline (Howard) and Brownline (Ravenswood). 
Approved for Funding 2017

image - ChiGov
In November 2016, the Chicago City Council approved the creation of a dedicated Tax-Increment Financing District (TIF) that will generate $622 million to support the first phase of RPM according to the CTA.
Securing the local funding was a critical step that paved the way to accessing $1 Billion in Federal funding.

The first phase of RPM will rebuild the Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn and Bryn Mawr rail stations and more than a mile of adjacent tracks and track structure. It will also construct a Red-Purple bypass to improve overall service that will benefit the entire Red Line by improving reliability and increasing capacity so that more trains can be added to alleviate chronic overcrowding during peak travel times.
Grace Street Station
(decommissioned) 
Grace Street Station survived the CTA's 1947 takeover, but was one of 23 stations that closed along the 
North-South Route service revision in August 1, 1949. The concept of "local" stations, of which Grace's low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop concept and the station was closed. The original brick station house was similar to those used at ChicagoSedgwickArmitage and Fullerton stops.
Sheridan Station
will this station finally have funding
photo - Crain's Business

1902 photo - Jeff Nichols via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
along with an interesting fact about the route by WBEZ
photo - flickerhivemind

the original stairs still used 2016
2016 photos - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography

A Chicago North Shore train passes the station in 1955 shows the Sheridan Restaurant & Lounges' 
neon sign to the left 
In 1930 the interior of the station constructed in smooth stone with a spacious fare control area, with terrazzo flooring and "art marble" and plaster walls. On the street elevation, two retail spaces were provided on either side of the entrance.
heading north toward platform
1972 by Marty Bernard Chicago Rapid Transit, 
Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
Heading north with no New York skyscraper in the distance
1978 by Marty Bernard Chicago Rapid Transit, 
Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
with the New York skyscraper in the distance
photo - Flickr Hive Mind
photo - Flickr Hive Mind
In later years, an enclosed concession space was added in the unpaid area of the interior along the north wall. Over the years, Sheridan has remained somewhat historically intact, with its original floors, wood moldings, and decorative ticket booth. Other features, however, such as the original exterior gloved lights and some ornamentation has been lost. 
The terrazzo floor has also become deteriorated over the decades.
photo - Flickr Hive Mind
 photo - Travis DeWit website
2012  The Sheridan Station renovation has been scheduled as part of a $1 billion overhaul that includes federal, state and local funding sources for the Red Line from its northern end on Howard to the 95th Street station. So, stay tuned! - nothing yet as of 2016!
Raymond Kunst - Fine Art Photography
The Brownline



 the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
 the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
There are only 3 non-switching stations that are actually in the neighborhood of Lake View. Besides Belmont Station (redline/brownline) they are the Southport, Paulina, and the Addison stations. The Irving Park station is actually located north of Irving Park Road - the northern border of the neighborhood. The others listed in this segment are geographically located in the neighborhood of the North Central - just west of East Ravenswood Avenue which is the western border of the neighborhood. Take a ride on the Ravenswood during the 1970's with this link from the Loop north to Kimball.
 
images - J.J. Sedelmaier
A/B Skip-Stop  Express Service
Aerial view of the Ravenswood Elevated Line as of 1939
From Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
interior view of a Ravenswood car
1957 photo - Chuckman Collection
Making the split from Belmont Station - 1950's?
     Wellington            
photo as of 1970
Wellington station opened on May 31, 1900 as part of the original stretch of the Northwestern Elevated. The station-house was one of several stations built designed by William Gibb on what is now the Brown Line. Constructed entirely of brick with terra-cotta trim, the Classical Revival Design was inspired by the work of the great 16th century Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio.

south & north views
Marty Bernard via Chicago Rapid Transit, Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group (on Facebook)
The 1978 photo shows the B train to Jackson Park 
& another B train Ravenswood.
University of Illinois-Chicago, City 2000 zoomed view
2009 The new station opened after a 16 month renovation.
Diversey 
"The Diversey 'headhouse' was one of several stations built from a design by William Gibb. The station was constructed entirely of brick with terra-cotta trim, the Classical Revival design was inspired by the work of the great 16th century Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio3. The bold modeling of the details, especially the columns and segmented arched windows, is characteristic of Italianate work of the late 19th century." - Chicago L. org
view east of platform
University of Illinois-Chicago, City 2000
image - Nile Guide
pre 2007 photo -mark2400 via flickr
2014 view from platform
under tracks toward station
photo - Lauren Sease Martinez via Pinterest
Lincoln, Roscoe, Paulina intersection
1987 photo - Robert Krueger, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collections
Paulina Station House
1987 photo - Robert Krueger, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collections
The original Paulina Station House
2009 new station house was built across the street from the site of the old stationhouse.
pre 2007 photo - Wash Burn Architecture
post 2008 photo - Mark2400 via Flickriver
 This station now has its own Facebook presence!
Addison
Actually on the other side of the RR tracks 
in neighborhood of North Central 
as of 2003 with its original station house 1906 design
2004 rendition of the new station
Actually on the other side of the RR tracks 
in neighborhood of North Central 
This station survived the CTA's 1947 takeover, but was one of 23 stations closed in their North-South Route service revision August 1, 1949. This station like many north-side stations were part of the old North Western elevated that was built shorter after the turn of the 20 century. The very 'local' station, of which Ravenswood's low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop system CTA concept, hence the station closed.
Irving Park
Actually on the other side of the RR tracks 
in neighborhood of North Central 
Google map
1940's view of the platform
2008 A new station was open after a 16 month renovation.
Actually on the other side of the RR tracks
in neighborhood of North Central 
This 1953 photo shows a train departing Montrose station on the former the Ravenswood (Brown) branch
 as of 1987
Montrose opened with the initial construction of the Ravenswood branch of the Northwestern Elevated, which was placed into service May 18, 1907. The station was designed in 1905-06 by the Northwestern Elevated's Engineering Office and overseen by Chief Engineer C.M. Mock and Consulting Engineer Charles Weston. The station was built by the Angus Brothers construction company. The station house measured approximately 25 feet by 25 feet -- a modest size and scale, relating to its role as a modest neighborhood station -- and, when viewed in plan layout, was shaped like a bow-tie.  
Purple Line
Belmont, Wellington, & Diversey Stations
photo - CTA
Now part of the Redline Purpleline Overpass Project
An Old Power Station
The Newport Avenue Sub-Station
for the electric streetcars & trolleys
photo - William Vandervoort, 
contributor to Forgotten Chicago on Facebook 
Located on the northeast corner of Newport & Seminary
image - 1950 Sanborn Fire Map edit
the newer look - DNAinfo
A power station that funneled electricity to the rails of
old Lake View streetcars & trolleys is still located at 1044 Newport Avenue. This old sub-station as of 2015 will be part of planned development per Chicago Real Estate Daily.
The Forgotten Railway
The Chicago & Evanston Branch of 
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad  
The Chicago & Evanston rails were mostly used for the transportation of freight short distances within the Chicagoland area as early as 1885 that was routed through the Township of Lake View from the City of Chicago to Evanston.
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
Let's begin this journey from Irving Park Road that separates the neighborhoods of Uptown with Lake View to the former border of Fullerton Avenue that once separated the Township/City/District of Lake View and the City of Chicago. The Sanborn Fire Maps presented in this segment date 1923 even though the Chicago & Evanston RR tracks date back to 1885 when Lake View was a township. Viewing a 1887 map of the township of Lake View very little development was indicated; by 1923 a number of companies were established on either side of the tracks. By early 21st century using a Google Earth software residential buildings are dotted like a snake along the old tracks between Belmont and Addison Avenues. 
 The former North Western Company elevated tracks 
(red line) begin to separate from the surface tracks of the 
Chicago & Evanston 


This is the area of the tracks that begin to get interesting as it appears to slice its way through the neighborhood. Seminary Avenue between Addison and Waveland non-existent after for Wrigley Field renovations. 
unknown year photo - from Railroads Chicago Style 
Notice a RR watch tower that was once located at the intersection of west of Seminary, Clark, and Addison Street.

 The tracks appear slice through the middle of the blocks



image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
From Belmont Avenue southward the tracks begin to route in a straight path down Lakewood Avenue
a coal company along its route
matchbook - Ebay
tracks begin to run along on Lakewood Avenue south
photo - garry albrecht 2013
View on Belmont Avenue where the tracks 
began to route northeast for some reason
photo - garry albrecht 2013
photo - Chicago Switching
 photo - Layman Guide to Beer
 photo - Garry Albrecht
 photo - Garry Albrecht
”Chicago is the most important railroad center in North America. More lines of track radiate in more directions from Chicago than from any other city. Chicago has long been the most important interchange point for freight traffic between the nation's major railroads.” - Encyclopedia of Chicago 
One such railroad was the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company - Evanston Branch that had its beginnings in 1872 twenty-eight years before commuter elevated tracks were built by the North Western Company (Redline and Brownline). The CM&P delivered freight to and from Chicago manufacturers that once included Lake View. Lake View in the 19th and mid - 20th centuries was referred to as a blue collar manufacturing area that included coal yards, metal works, meat storage warehouses, greenhouses and a well-known Chicago brewery.
The Best Brewing Company of Chicago was located along the CM&P so to economically transport their product to market. The building was originally owned by breweries Klockgeter & Company in 1885 and then Kagebein & Folstaff one year later. The buildings occupants were many but all related to brewing beer. Their beer products of this company were the ‘Hapsburg Bock’ (1933 – 1962), ‘Hapsburg Beer’ (1933 - 1962), and ‘Best Ale’ (1937 – 1962). Currently, the building is listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1987 and used for residential space. Most of the buildings of the former manufacturing area are physically gone but not completely forgotten thanks to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (like type of Google maps of its day) that were created in the 19th century for property insurance, fire protection, and street & sanitation concerns.

Lakewood has a tree and shrub barrier at the point
 photo - Garry Albrecht
View north of the barrier on Barry Avenue
2014 photo - Garry Albrecht
crumbling of the street due to the covering of the tracks
2014 photo - Garry Albrecht

Tracks begin to appear as late as 2012
- view north and south on Diversey Parkway 
2014 photos - Garry Albrecht
2014 photo - Garry Albrecht
 
C&E heading towards Peerless Confection - 2000
photo - Chicago Switching

images - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
The most remembered company along its route was
Peerless Candies once located at Lakewood and Schubert in Lincoln Park along with Finkl Steel once located further south. Read and view more about the Evanston Branch that link downtown Chicago with the Township of Evanston that was routed geographical though old Lake View with this link.
The most noticeable segment of the old tracks 
as of 2015 are at 1310 W Webster in Lincoln Park
photo - unknown
The Stations of the C&E
1885-1908
Fullerton Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Fullerton Avenue near Lakewood Avenue, on the east side of the tracks.
Lincoln Ave. - a station building existed a short distance south of the intersection of Lincoln Avenue, George St., and Lakewood Ave. on the east side of the tracks.
Belmont Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Belmont Avenue near Lakewood Avenue, on the east side of the tracks.
Addison St. - a station building existed on the south side of Addison Street west of Clark Street, on the east side of the tracks. Immediately north of there, the railroad passed what would be the west side of Wrigley Field.
Verona - a station building existed on the north side of Byron Avenue at Seminary Avenue, on the east side of the tracks. 
Graceland/Buena Park - a station house existed at Buena Avenue & about Kenmore Avenue on the east side of the tracks with a view it below before its demolition.

Post Notes:
Urban planners have created a new urban blueprint  that combines public transportation systems with residential living within a neighborhood like ours. A blog called StreetsBLOG Chicago highlights it in this posting. Apparently, planning dense residential units near transportation centers will help residential commuters and assist the growth of businesses in the area then zoning in 'restricted parking zoning' according to this blog post. Also read my blog post called Land & Real Estate about the history of land use in our neighborhood.
Read more about the history of all the CTA stations as well as the current look of public transportation in relation to urban centers. View the post about the chronological history of the transportation system in the old township and the City of Chicago - District of Lake View.


Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!  
Post a Comment