June 15, 2015

The Township Developments

The Important News
of Old Lake View 
One of the local newspapers of the day
image - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
The Township/City (1857-89)
Van Vechten's map of 1870
Another Lake View Township map with link below
highlighting important areas and streets, if zoomed, in 1879
Sunnyside Inn - photo 1890
one of first notable resorts/hotels in the mid 19th century besides the Lake View House/Hotel
1894 Sanborn Fire Map location view
a zoomed view below
An 1894 Sanborn Fire Map depicting an hotel owners' name.
Like the Lake View Hotel, this 'Inn' was meant to attracted Chicagoans to the new township that would be free of Chicago's regulations for vice and real estate transactions.
An Account of the Beginnings
History of Cook County, Illinois by A.T. Andreas 1884
"When a number of citizens principally residents of Andersonville and vicinity assembled at the school house which had lately been completed to make arrangements for holding the first township election of Lake View they had unconsciously perhaps commenced to make history for the future I.S. Shippy was moderator of that meeting and John Mauritzen clerk. It was resolved that the election be held April 7 1857 and that $175 be raised for town expenses. The old school house just mentioned still stands at the extreme northeasterly corner of the subdivision called Andersonville. There was something of a contest between Robert Edson and S.H. Kerfoot candidates for the office of Supervisor and both of them filed their certificates of election but Mr. Edson was finally successful. Sixty-four votes were cast. Supervisor Edson feeling no doubt elevated at his good proceeded to purchase the first record book of Lake View wherein to enter the doings of moment had transpired and those which were to happen exact time when Mr Edson reached down into his pocket to accomplish this matter is fixed by an which still appears on the fly leaf of the musty and which reads in this wise. Bought June 16 1857 by Robert Edson Supervisor of Lake View Township. Price $2.50 Dedicated to the Township Clerk of Lake View Township. The town then the township of Lake View was organized under its charter in February 1865. The act was approved by Governor Oglesby on the 16th of that month."
THE TOWNSHIP TIMELINE
1854  Surveyor and real estate developer invest in the Township of Lake View with his friend Elisha Hundley highlighting their 'resort house' later to be coined by a visitor as The Lake View Hotel.
This article below tells a tale of the first evening at the old Huntley House aka Lake View Hotel
1857 Lake View Township (p.709) was established on February 17th and then by election in April 17th in a school house in Andersonville with 64 male votes cast. Before that date the southern portion of Evanston Township and northern part of North Chicago Township were combined and known as Ridgeville Township (1850-1857). The townships were formed so to organize local administration and for the establishment of school districts. The first political districts were the following - later to expand to 7 districts by 1887 with the formation of Lake View as a City.
image - Lake View Saga 1847-1985
1859-64 Several cemeteries were established along Green Bay Road (Clark Street). Rose Hill Cemetery was the first in 1859.
a view of the NorthWestern Railroad lines leading to the entrance of RoseHill cemetery. Other cemeteries would be established in the 1860's that would include Graceland, Boniface, and others along this railway or Clark Street.
Read about them in my post called Cemeteries to the North.

The above image gives the reader a sense of development at the time. Apparently, the scene was located on Diversey near the intersection of Green Bay Road (Clark) and Evanston Avenue to be renamed Broadway Avenue in 1913.
The Lake View East community was originally subdivided into two subdivisions. The southern subdivision was called Wright Grove and the northern subdivision was called Pine Grove. Wright Grove was closer to Fullerton Avenue and Pine Grove was closer to Irving Park Road.
1863  Rails for the horse drawn public transportation laid on Evanston Avenue (Broadway) from Diversey to Graceland Avenue (Irving Park Road). In 1896, as part of the City of Chicago, this segment of road was converted to electric powered streetcars.
1864  Township School #1 was established to be later known as Nettelhorst School. During the Civil War a military muster (recruitment camp) was established in the area of Diversey, Clark, and Broadway Avenues at the once Wright Grove subdivision called Camp Fry. It also served as a stockade for Confederate POWs from 1864 to the end of the war. The steam engine 'dummy' a form of steam powered means of public transportation replaces the horse drawn carriage on Evanston Avenue only to be reverted back to horse drawn after years of public dissatisfaction.
1865  Lake View Township was finally a functional chartered entity with elected township officials.
1866    The Board of Health was established as well as the police force consisting of 4 constables.
1868   Ravenswood Land Company plans an upper class development along Little Fort Road known today as Lincoln Avenue. Also, 1868 a well known conservative newspaper, Chicago Tribune, article reported acts of drunken "debauchery" in German beer gardens. The most famous beer garden in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in the city was the Bismarck Gardens established in 1892 located on the corner of Halsted, Broadway, and Grace Avenues.  
photo - University of Alabama Digital Maps
1869  The Lincoln Park Commission was established by the State of Illinois so that the commissioners of both the City of Chicago and the Township of Lake View to share responsibility for the new park along the lakefront. The border of the township was Fullerton Avenue at the time. Also, view a map of the area for that year.
1870   Lake View Township chartered its first post office to be located at the Old Town Hall building on Addison and Halsted Streets with a map of the township that year.
1871    General civic discussion in the town
Also, 1871 petitions for street improvements
Note: Reference to 'town' in articles meant 'township'. 
1871 October 8th through the 10th of that month
 The Great Chicago Fire stops just beyond the border with Chicago on the north side of Fullerton Avenue.
The shaded area indicate the fires reach - 1871 map
University of Chicago Digital Map Collection, zoomed
photo via Chicagology
Interesting note about the Chicago Fire of 1871 ...
According to the Hidden Truth via the Chicago Daily News dated 10/11/71 ...
" Just here it may be interesting to state that at the same hour, the flames caught John A. Huck’s house, beyond the city limits (north of Fullerton Ave was the Township of Lake View) and it was the last house destroyed." 
According to Chicagology, by 1871 the 'John A. Huck Brewery' had become one of the largest breweries in the country - both were destroyed.
1873   Establishment of Lake View Township (Civic) building to be later referred to as The Town Hall and police district. Police and the post office were located in the same building.
Also in that year, township residents discuss annexation to the City of Chicago 16 years before the official annexation of 1889. That meeting was so disorganized that the group could not appoint a permanent chairman for future meetings.
 
The township seat of government 
- corner of Addison and Halsted Streets
The building housed the post office, police, township council
In 1937 this metal plate was mounded on the old 42nd Precinct Police Station (referred to also as the Old Town Hall), the same location as the original building.
1874 The Township Board of Trustees restricted cattle movements in some areas. Township Board of Trustees issued uniforms for police in the hope that "civic morality can be restored" from the visitation of Chicago citizens.
A Chicago Tribune article stated that some local real estate developers were concerned of lower property values of the southeast area of the township due to “moonlight evenings of serenading” and “habit of rehearses” particularly at the corner of Halsted Street and Diversey Parkway. 
Ravenswood Pioneer Grocery 
in the community of Ravenswood - 1874
P.L. Miller Fancy Groceries and Meat Market 
corner of Foster and Wolcott Avenues - 1860's?
1874   Lake View Township High School was established on the corner of Addison and Ashland Avenues. View my post called The High School for more stories like the one below.
The State of Lake View 1874
Chicago and its Suburbs by Everett Chamberlin 
"This is a large township extending north from the city limits
[Chicago] a distance of over 5 1/2 miles and from the [existing] lakeshore west from two to three miles. The south boundary [Fullerton Avenue] is but two and a half miles from Clark Street bridge. Its natural features are among the best in the vicinity of Chicago. The wooded section in the southern edge of which Lincoln Park[,the park] is situated extends along the [existing] lakeshore far to the north and many miles beyond the northern limits of Lake View [Devon Avenue]. This gives the place the very desirable advantage of grove lots throughout its length and breadth and affords many very pretty residence sites which have been largely taken advantage of by citizens of Chicago whose means enabled them to enclose large lots and build handsome homes upon them. The place is thickly settled as a consequence of these advantages and its nearness to business centers in Chicago. The area of the township is about ten square miles. The lands in Lake View attracted early attention. The settlement dates back over a period of twenty years and many of the lots having during this long stretch of years been subjected to constant improvement. The place bears something of the appearance of the old suburbs about the cities in the East. Viewed from the observatory of the new United States Marine Hospital [once located between Marine Drive & Clarendon Avenue; Sunnyside to Montrose] the whole village resembles a beautiful park. The government of the township incorporated in 1865 [and founded in 1854] is in the hands of a Board of Trustees who have control of thoroughfares, bridges, public improvements [of] buildings, the police force, and generally of all matters usually subjected to municipal rule. The routes of [to the] approach to Lake View from the city are as follows: One line of horse cars leave Clark Street bridge every twelve minutes running north on North Clark Street to Diversey Street [and] one half mile within the limits of the place and connecting there with a dummy for Graceland [Avenue/ Irving Park Road] which runs once an hour. This trip occupies fifty minutes. A second line of horse cars leave Clark Street bridge at like intervals and run on Clark Street to Lincoln Avenue opposite the principal entrance to Lincoln Park [,the park] and then on Lincoln Avenue in a northwest direction and reaching the southern limit of Lake View at Fullerton Avenue one mile west from the lakeshore. The Milwaukee branch of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad runs through [this] suburb north and south with a daily service of twelve trains each way. In addition to the second track now being laid on this road there are now under consideration [for] two other projects looking to the development of the [Township of] Lake View by new railroads to run out of [City of] Chicago on Sheffield Avenue through Lake View to [Township of] Evanston on a route east of the [Chicago &] Milwaukee [railroad] track [while] the other a branch through [community of] Bowmanville to [Township of] Evanston to be constructed by the Northwestern Railroad Company."
Lake View had a Glee Club 1875
1875  A local newspaper  called the Suburban reports the establishment of a baseball team called the 'Lake View Brown Stockings’  as the first organized team on the north-side; a precursor to the Chicago Cubs. Also, in 1875 one of the first 'stone and brick' churches was constructed and dedicated that year (for mostly the elite of the township). Remember, the township borders were north of Fullerton Avenue until 1889. The building also served as a town-hall meeting place for the citizens of the township and then City of Lake View. Read more of that day with the article below.
1875  A Storm and the Taverns
(click to enlarge article)
The Congregations as of 1875
(click to enlarge article)
 page 2
collecting revenue from a K. Langland in 1875
image - Ebay
Teachers Code of Conduct 1875
1876  Mention of a baseball team called the 
Brown Stockings & a new community called Summerdale located north of Foster Avenue. 
View article below for more
page 2
also in 1876
Social Happenings
1876  The significant railroad stations along the Chicago & Milwaukee within the township were the Belle Plaine, Ravenswood, and Rose Hill per this David Rumsey Collection map that can be enlarged. 
 
 Most of the above photos are either 1888 or 1890
1877  Major industry is developed with the establishment of Northwestern Terra Cotta Company near Clybourn and Wrightwood. The company would employ ten thousand workers at its peek. Read more about this company in my blog post called Blue Collar Lake View.
an 1892 advertisement - Art Institute of Chicago
1878   Public nude swimming and wild parties by Chicago visitors in the township are reported in a Chicago Tribune article.
1879  View the ordinances of this year with this link.
1880  Residents of Pine Grove (subdivision) along Evanston Avenue filed suite against the stream-driven public transportation train called  'dummy' trains. The residents hated the noise that freaked out the horses. The noisy trains were introduced by 1865. This original plank road was coined Dummy Road by local residents. Legend has it the Lake View District School #1 (Nettlehorst) was briefly called Dummy School.

 It took 17 years for the residents along Evanston Avenue to accept horseless public transport - 1897
 page 2
Read the story of Paulina Street 
that year within the below image
 
More subdivisions would be constructed in the township 
From the back of this photo:
"The 1888 view of Paulina Street (1700 W) between Belle Plaine (4100 N) and Berteau Avenues (4200 N). Drainage ditches are being dug in the road, with plank crossovers at the intersections. There is a kerosene lamp-post in the middle of the block. The back of the photo states, "No longer was it necessary to hold a long piece of white chalk between the teeth or carry a lantern to find the way home at night when the moon did not shine."
- from the Ravenswood–Lake View Community Collection
1881 Each township district could vote on some issues that matter to them. For example, the second district (that must have been located south of Belmont Avenue at the time) voted their district 'dry' not allowing liquor to be sold. The article below tells that tale ... among other developments.


The next year in 1882 a geographical beer-line was established along Halsted Street - western area meant beer establishments while east of Halsted was to be dry. Also 1882, saloon-keepers had some influence in this election. 
The word 'town' in all articles refers to 'township'.
the township published a directory (Facebook)
1882 Lots of News
1883   Real Estate booming ...
from publication called Chicago: growth of a metropolis
photos - Gross Park on Henderson - Facebook
advertisement & cost of property along 
with another photo + a narrative
1884 The first historical society was formed during this time period with meetings held in community of Ravenswood called the Ravenswood Historical Society. According a local historian Theodore Andreas, the society had plans to construct a public library on Sulzer (Montrose) and Commercial (Hermitage) Streets for the benefit of the community and themselves.
1885-86 The township published an annual report about it's status for the year 1885 to March 1886 that included reports/letters from the township supervisor, treasurer, assessor, highway commissioners, town[ship] collector, physician, engineer, & clerk, public works superintendent, water rent collector, captain of police, and fire marshall.
photo Edgewater Historical Society
1885-89  John Lewis Cochran purchased vacant land to build a subdivision called “Edgewater.” East of Broadway and bounded by Bryn Mawr and Foster, it was the first planned development to have paved streets, electric lighting, drainage system, street cleaning and tree trimming. In 1886, the first ten houses and a commercial building called the “Guild Hall” were built as well as a train station at Bryn Mawr that would connect south to Graceland Blvd. (Irving Park Road).
Edgewater Historical Society
1886  View an annual report (narratives) from the Town(ship) of Lake View online from the University of Illinois-Chicago. The township only had 15 policeman and 9 firemen that year covering a territory from Devon Avenue to Fullerton, the lakefront to Western Avenue using 'pre-motor age' means of transportation.
1887  The township became a city; districts became wards - two alderman per ward with the 5 of the 7 wards south of Belmont Avenue that separated the urban area from the rural area of the city. 
The city must have been the largest in the nation until the city was annex by the City of Chicago in 1889
 Formation of city wards from township districts 1887
All the township communities would become city communities or subdivisions until annexation of 1889.
both images - Lakeview Saga - Merlo Library
Also in 1887   The Council members of the City of Lake View approved rail lines for the North Chicago City Rail Line to build on their territory even though the company had be constructing the line on township land since 1861 without permission from local authorities. View these two maps of Lake View that year with this link from the David Rumsey Collection and this link from Historical Atlas that has a sheet by sheet view of the area. 
1888   The first full service real estate office is established more or less replacing the old Lake View Hotel as the unofficial location to meet and negotiate for land purchases.
Note: 'truck garden' were farms used to transported their product to market. - Lakeview Saga, Merlo Library
A Fire Department Tower in the Ravenswood area
Dieden Brothers Goods along Foster Avenue
1889 Before the annexation of the City of Lake View, the State of Illinois legislated The Sanitary District Enabling Act of May 29, 1889, established the a district with the purpose of managing water supply and waste-water issues. The two most important early projects included the reversal of the Chicago River, designed to carry waste water away from Lake Michigan, and the construction of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal which aided in the flow of water out of Lake Michigan. (The project was completed by 1900)
This legislation (clean water) would have been in the minds of some enlightened voters of Lake View when residents voted for annexation that following November of that same year. 
Note: View more on the City of Lake View (1887-1889) 
1896  A Post Annexation issue!
While this Chicago Tribune article was published after the annexation of Lake View this article does tell a tale of integration of townships that the city annexed that year. Both Lake View and Jefferson Township were annexed the same year. Apparently, the officials of Lake View still controlled the water supply from their Lake Michigan along with their crib and pumping station. This issue almost start a major problem for the City of Chicago per this article below ...
Old Lake View Revisited in 1928
page 2
View my post for more information about the 
Also, view the post communities within the old township.
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection,
Sulzer Regional Library via Explore Chicago
After the annexation of 1889 the new Chicago District 
of Lake View was still regarded somewhat rural. This 1891 winter scene highlights a forest of trees at the intersections of Broadway, Sheridan Road, and Montrose Avenue.

No Post Notes

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!

Post a Comment