Montrose to Irving Park Road
*And a neighborhood of Ravenswood Manor is also considered part of Ravenswood even though its west of the Chicago River in the Community of North Central*
the northeast corner of Wilson & (East) Ravenswood Avenue (Park)
from the top of the then existing Chicago Northwestern RR
photos -Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
and below Ravenswood United Methodist Church
The three Chicago area commuter lines that are now owned by Union Pacific spent much of their existence as part of Chicago & North Western. Each began independently before becoming part of C&NW.
What is now the UP West line started as the Galena & Chicago Union in 1848, the first railroad in Chicago. The two other UP lines had different origins in the 1850s. Chicago & North Western owned all three for most of their existence. These lines passed to UP ownership when the C&NW merged with UP in 1995.
The Northwest Line, which started as the Illinois & Wisconsin in 1854, became part of C&NW when that system was formed in 1859. The West Line, which began as the Galena & Chicago Union in 1848, became part of C&NW system in 1864. The North Line, which started as the Chicago & Milwaukee in 1854, was leased by C&NW starting in 1866 and was bought by the C&NW in 1883. Commuter service on all three lines developed gradually, particularly in the years following the Civil War and the Chicago fire of 1871. The fire especially made living in the suburbs, away from the congestion and noise of the city, more appealing, and the railroad promoted and benefited from the trend. By the end of the century, the railroad’s passenger terminal at Kinzie and Wells had become too small for the number of commuters and intercity passengers using it. The railroad spared no expense on a new $23 million facility, which opened on June 4, 1911, on a site bounded by Madison, Lake, Clinton and Canal. - Metra/Chicago North Western
billed as the 'finest in the West'
once located in newly formed District of Lake View
1905 photo - Explore Chicago Collections
via Chicago History Museum
A "Fine Track"
A High School Event in 1902
both photos - Cook County Assessor
- Pat Butler [According to Redfin this particular house was constructed in 1891 in the District of Lake View].
4224 N Hermitage Avenue
photo - Google Maps
Ravenswood Hospital when it was opened in 1905."
[According to Zillow the house was constructed in 1896 in the newly formed District of Lake View.]