W.L. Flower Map-Library of Congress
The Township Borders
the midsection of Lake View Township
below the lower section
Van Vechten's 1870 map below
Graceland Boulevard to Devon Avenue/Church Road
dedication photos by Greg O'Neill
An Article about the Borders
Ravenswood Land Company
1875 News in the Community of Ravenswood
By 1884 the Ravenswood Historical Society presently called the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Association was established and was to be located in a 30 x 40 two story brick building on the southwest corner of Commercial and Graceland (Hermitage $ Irving Park Road). Apparently, the building included a ground floor library and reading room and the top floor a lecture hall and doubled as a concert hall. The present collection of photography, maps, and publications are located at the Sulzer Regional Library in Community of Lincoln Square called the Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection & currently with a most larger collectioin called the Northside Collection.
when the old township was referred
to as the newly formed District of Lake View after 1889
The District of Lake View 1894
There is a famous spot,in legend and in history,
the Waller lot'
photo - Uptown Update
Robert A. Waller (relation to James?) was a major landowner
who influenced township/city community affairs for decades
the Edgewater Stables in 1880's below
"I was really fascinated to learn that our entire neighborhood had been a part of a native habitation," said 20-year Bowmanville resident Barry Kafka. "I’m frustrated that we don’t know more about it," Kafka said. Oral history in the neighborhood suggested that since the early 1900's, people had been digging up ancient artifacts in their backyards. But, unfortunately, history had never been properly recorded to help reconstruct the lives of humans who lived thousands of years ago in what is now modern Chicago." Read more ...
1910-ish located in the new District of Lake View
photo below - Chuckman Collection
a later view of the intersection of Lincoln/Lawrence/Western at the edge of the District of Lake View - Bowmanville 1920's
Follow the conversation on Facebook of this photo!
A Look Back
The Chicagoan, edited
by Stephen E. Osman
6 March 2018
The 156th Illinois Volunteer Infantry was a one-year regiment and the last Illinois infantry unit raised for the Civil War. It was formed at Camp Fry in late February and early March 1865.
Once uniformed, equipped, armed and given some basic drill instruction the regiment took trains to the Nashville area where it was broken into small commands to guard the strategic railroads outside that fortress city. The regiment returned to Illinois in September to be mustered out.
This paper albumin photograph originated in the estate of Marcus L. Bosworth, a private in Company F. Inscribed on the back in very faded pencil is Bosworth’s signature, “Company Picture” and “March 1865.” Company F was composed of many men from Kane and Kankakee Counties; Bosworth himself was from Manteno. Following a January 19, 1865 order from Illinois Governor Oglesby Camp Fry was designated an additional camp of rendezvous, and recruits from the first, second, third and sixth congressional districts were to muster there.
There is little published information on the mustering and service of this final 1865 unit. But the Chicago Tribune has been digitalized by the Library of Congress on their Chronicling America website. A search for 156th Illinois, and then Camp Fry confirmed their service there. On the evening of March 15, 1865, the nearly 1,000 men of the 156th marched out of Camp Fry in a pouring rainstorm to begin their six months of service in the south.
The barrack in the background was no doubt occupied by Company F. Each vertical board and batten wood frame quarters for a 100-man company had a tarpaper roof and no insulation. Inside were triple tier bunks, each shared by two men, plus tables and benches. Poorly heated by coal stoves, the barracks must have been drafty and miserable in late winter 1865.
Most of the men are still wearing their overcoats in this early March photo. Surprisingly many appear to be wearing mounted pattern boots rather than the laced ankle bootie typically issued to infantrymen. Their uniforms and equipment are new; canteen straps have not yet been shortened and only a couple men have substituted felt hats for the just issued forage cap. Only two men carry their muskets and they were probably detailed for armed service that day but wanted to be in the photo with their comrades. The company officers – Captain Henry J. Allen probably flanked by Lieutenants William E. Craib and Narcisse Reeves – are front and center.
Scholars are fortunate that one private in that company saved this unique photograph that documents the Civil War camp in Wright’s Grove – now the intersection of North Clark, Broadway and Diversey Parkway.