June 15, 2015

Notable Township Settlers

The European Originals
complete list of the first settlers can be found
 in a 1884 publication from a renowned 
local historian of the named Alfred T. Andreas
Dr. Conrad Sulzer 
grad-daddy of Lake View Township
images - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
I would not have messed with him!
Physician Conrad Sulzer and his family of Winterthur, Z├╝rich, Switzerland who are respectfully regarded as the first Euro-settlers arrived in an undeveloped area located north of Chicago in by 1837 two years before the incorporation of Chicago as a city. The German speaking Swiss born doctor purchased 100 acres of land at the southeast corner of Green Bay Road (Clark Street) and Jefferson Road later to be known as Lawrence Avenue. He contributed some of his land to Graceland Cemetery along Clark Street.
The Sulzer's 14 room, including a seven bedrooms, brick house is still located at 4223 North Greenview AvenueThe old address was 1306 Perry Avenue. The house exists today almost in its original condition and once owned by actress Joan Cusak and Richard Burke. Dr. Sulzer established a greenhouse nursery and provided shrubs and plants for the Graceland Cemetery. He helped establish, among many the other pioneers that are not listed in this blog, his home of Lake View as a township in 1857 serving as an assessor for the township in its earliest years.
An Account 1884
by Theodore Andreas, historian 
'The oldest living settler within the present limits of the town[ship] however if not actually the earliest in point of time is Frederick Sulzer who moved with his parents to what is now Ravenswood in 1837. His father Conrad settled upon the same land although not upon the same spot which the son now occupies. Mr Sulzer died in 1873 [while] Mrs Sulzer is still living with her son who is a florist by trade. During the same year Samuel Rohrer a live-stock dealer settled at what is now Rose Hill but after a season moved to Evanston. For several years thereafter there appears to have a hesitation on the part of pioneers to fix their stakes within the present limits of Lake View. Between 1844 and 1847 however quite a number of farmers settled on Ridge Road between Rose Hill and the Evanston'. - Theodore Andreas 1884 page 706
segment 2
Album of genealogy and biography
Cook County, Illinois 1897
Dr. Sulzer's brief bio
1950 Chicago Tribune article

located at Graceland Cemetery 
It would appear that Conrad may have had a stake in one of the first breweries in Chicago - J. & W. Crawford's Chicago Brewery according to this link.
In His Memory: Sulzer Regional Regional Library
Sample of the Ravenswood-Lake View Collection that is located upstairs at the Sulzer library
The Sulzer Regional Library located in the neighborhood of Lincoln Square is named after him. This library is the home of the Ravenswood-LakeView Community Collection of documents and photography of the north-side. A area in the library is devoted to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.
Owner of the 'Seven Mile House'
The narrative of Nicholas Kranz is a story about the beginnings of Lake View Township
a 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of the location of the establishment with a zoomed view below

by The Edgewater Historical Society
This Seven Mile House has been reputed as a local tavern, inn, and meeting place but apparently it never operated as an official business. The Kransz's provided food, drink, and lodging to travelers passing through the area (for a small fee), as was the custom in sparsely-populated areas. Many of these guests were funeral processions from Calvary Cemetery in then Township of Evanston. With Nicholas’s reputation for being in the right place at the right time, he was an obvious participant in local politics and civic affairs, and often provided his home as a meeting place for such activities.The story that Abraham Lincoln stopped at Seven Mile House during his 1860 campaign travels could be true according to the sources of The Edgewater Historical Society. Gatherings were often held in small communities to introduce politicians to local citizens. The Edgewater Historical Society believes a Lincoln campaign rally was actually held at the house, since it was a popular meeting ground (Nicholas was then Justice of the Peace at that time).
John W Turner
a businessman



His Family Homestead
 photos - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection

 the house survived until the late 1950's
the location per Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps 
 pre 1909 address of 502 Addison Street

The Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View 
by Pat Butler
The Chicago Temple
Mr. Turner first residence must have been very near the original church on Washington & Clark
Originally called the First Methodist Church of Ravenswood
currently called the Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church
Politicking for the Elevated westward in 1904
He apparently got his way
 2018 Google Map views
The 1904 Article ...

Elisha Este Huntley
Although Dr. Conrad Sulzer will be always be known as the father of Lake View Township, owner of a florist nursery, donator of land to Graceland Cemetery and one of the townships first assessors he was not the only one who had a major impact to the growth of the township. Landowner & investor Elisha Este Huntley along with his partner James Rees teamed up to establish a remote resort on a bluff along the existing lakefront called Lake View House (Hotel). (James Rees partnered earlier with another resident of the township, Charles Chase, owned the Rees and Chase – real estate business in Chicago by 1852 – later to be called The Chicago Tile and Trust Company.) These personal connections that we call networking allowed Chicagoans who may have thought this township as too far or too rural to invest & settle to reside full time and not just a place to escape the urban life of late 19th Chicago.
Sanborn Maps of his Properties   
from Grace to Addison/Evanston Ave. to lake

images - Historic Map Works
Halsted to Sheffield, Montrose to Irving Park Road
artist depiction from a window of the hotel
image - Calumet 412

The hotel's additions (1854-1890-ish)
zoomed image of Pine Grove subdivision
University of Chicago 1869 map 
Upon Huntley’s death in 1879 he and his partner acquired land grants that totaled 225 acres mostly along the lakefront. Mr. Huntley built a house on a parcel of land on Grace Street and then existing lakefront in a small community named Pine Grove in 1854. Soon the Huntley House would be later be coined the Lake View Hotel - according to legend the namesake of the Newberry Library, Walter Loomis Newberry,  was taken in by the locations cool breezes along with views of the lake from upon lands' bluff formed topography. 
A 1854 article about the Huntley House

next paragraph

smart phone images by Garry Albrecht
After Huntley’s death his vast land holdings were mismanaged by his son-in-law and his cousin Daniel Huntley (married his daughter). While the Chicago Fire of 1871 added to confusion of land ownership – fire destroyed countless land deeds – Huntley’s son-in-law apparently deeded off the land to various trustees (land trusts) until City of Chicago intervened with litigation that ended the confusion in the late 1890’s. During this time period a roadway along the lakefront became a reality - Sheridan Road (initially called North Lake Shore Drive) - this is outlined in another post. 
By 1928 Sheridan Road would link the City of Chicago with Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Today this roadway is not as directly linked due to name changes in several different segments through various municipalities along the lakefront.
area of the Lake View Hotel as of 1898 along Sheridan Road
- Ravenswood Lake View Collection
 Benjamin Shurtleff 
photo - Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collection
 his 1906 death notice- Chicago Tribune
Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois: with Portraits - 1896
a 1887 Sanborn Fire Map view 
of his property near his home
 the general area in 1887 - X marks the spot of estate
with a zoomed view below
 1894 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map view below 
a 1923 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map view below 
 a 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map view below 
 indicating vacant land along Mildred Avenue
a 2018 Google Earth View 
John A. Enander
First notable Swedish pioneer of the Township

images above - Illinois State Horticultural Society
According the publication Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler the first Swedish settler in the area of Lake View Township. 'He lived on 3200 block of Wilton Avenue [once called Oak Place]. He was poet, historian, orator, and educator - well known as a 'Lincoln' Republican of his day.' Upon his death he was appointed to the ambassador to Denmark but due to his sudden illness and death never took office.
 Edgar Sanders
Edgar Sanders was a horticulturist who opened Chicago's first permanent flower store in 1864. In 1857 Sanders moved to Chicago, building a fifty-foot greenhouse and 
organizing the Chicago Gardener's Club. He was a
one term Supervisor of the Lake View Township in 1880

a 1900 article about him
Sanders died in 1907. He was remembered in The Florist's Exchange for his "rugged honesty," "unvarying amiability," and "complete unselfishness." The Illinois Horticultural Society called his life "a story of progressive achievement and kindly living in a world of the beautiful." 
The Spaffords
The Missionaries from Old Lake View
1875 image - Library of Congress
The founders of the American Colony in Jerusalem were a couple named Horatio and Anna Spafford who in the 
mid 1860's in the nascent Township of Lake View. 
Horatio Spafford owned a successful law practice in the city of Chicago as well as owning several properties within the city. Simply, there were regarded wealthy and influential in both the township and the city. Horatio and Anna owned a cottage on a five acre triangular piece of property that border Evanston (Broadway), Halsted Street, and Graceland Avenue (Irving Park Road). They were both quite active in the abolitionist movement during the Civil War with friends like Frances E. Willard, president of the National Women's Christian Temperance Union as well as evangelical leader Dwight L. Moody, founder of the Moody Church who had many a dinner at their home after the war.
The Safford’s lost if not all of their real estate deeds in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and suffered personal family tragedies that would later prompted them to live a missionary life with his family in Jerusalem in 1881 during the time of the Ottoman Empire. The empire while ruled by a sultan allowed local areas religious autonomy allowing the Safford's to live and work without prosecution.
Their other contribution was a hymn called 'It is Well with my Soul' - listen to their self composed melody while viewing a historical presentation of this couple with this link
1992 photo - Al Jazeera
In 1992 representatives from the Palestinian Liberation Organization and Israel met in a hotel where they began talks that led to the historic 1993 Oslo Peace Accord. The hotel was called the American Colony Hotel named after Christian utopian society known as the American Colony of 1881. Headquartered from that building, members of this American group along with Chicago Swedish Christians began to engage in philanthropic work among the people of Jerusalem regardless of their religious affiliation and without proselytizing faith thereby gaining the trust of the local Muslim, Jewish, and Christian communities. The society played a critical role by operating soup kitchens, hospitals, orphanages and other charitable ventures for any religious group or individual who needed assistance. 
images - Library of Congress
After the British captured Jerusalem from the Ottoman Turks in December 1917, this small communal colony became the conduit of funds for organizations such as the Syrian and Palestine Relief Fund and the Christian Herald Relief Fund in Jerusalem. Horatio died in 1888 and Annie in 1928 in their adopted Jerusalem but their society would flourish assisting anyone in need. The mission that began in the late 19th century and continues today in Israel while the original building is currently a hotel in the eastern Jerusalem.
View other pictures/manuscripts of them and their organization from the Library of Congress.
Charles C. Chase
an abstract man
'Charles C. Chase married in 1874 to Belinda and moved to Lake View, then called the Township of Lake View. His brother Samuel moved to Lake View shortly after residing on the same block along Belmont Avenue near the lakefront.
516 (1846) W. Belmont Avenue
below is a 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map that highlights both brothers' residents - X's mark the spot
(Lake View Avenue intersected with Belmont Avenue)

below 1894 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
In 1852, his brother Horace followed his brothers Samuel B. and Charles C. to Chicago, where he became employed by real estate dealer James H. Rees, who with Edward Rucker originated the land abstract system in Chicago. In 1855, Horace and Samuel Chase joined fortunes with James Rees to form Rees, Chase & Co. Eventually, Mr. Rees was bought out, and the firm became Chase Brothers & Co. Samuel brother Charles joined the company in 1870. After the fire of 1871, in which the Cook County abstract records were destroyed, it was found that Chase Brothers & Co. and two other abstract firms (Shortall & Hoard and Jones & Seller) had each lost part of their indices, but together had a complete set, with some duplicates. The three firms therefore merged, and still later consolidated with Chicago Title and Trust. Immediately after the fire, Chase Brothers & Company established an office at 299 W. Washington Street. Horace maintained a separate loan business. 
image - Chicago Title & Insurance Company
In 1852, Horace followed his brothers Samuel B. and Charles C. to Chicago, where he became employed by real estate dealer James H. Rees, who with Edward Rucker originated the land abstract system in Chicago. In 1855, Horace and Samuel Chase joined fortunes with James Rees to form Rees,Chase & Co. Eventually, Mr. Rees was bought out, and the firm became Chase Brothers & Company.
Mr. Rees would join in a partnership with Elisha Huntley who owned property from W. Sheridan Road to Addison Street; Broadway to the existing lakefront and establish the Lake View Hotel in 1854 in which the Township of Lake View was named in 1857 by Conrad Sulzer & friends in Andersonville.
... and his other brother
Samuel B. Chase
another abstract man
image - Chicago Title & Insurance Company 
Samuel residence was down the street on Belmont a 'stone throw away' for the existing lakefront and his brother
Below 1894 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
the evolution of his corner estate ...
 an article about ...


and then in 1964 ...
Charles M. Netterstrom
a businessman

Their home
 and still part of the neighborhood landscape
 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Lot 14 
on the corner of Aldine and Craft (Dayton)
a zoomed view of 833 Aldine Avenue
1923 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps  
on the corner of Aldine and Craft (Dayton)

'With Italianate and Queen Anne influences, the home with its front gable, bay window, and tall corner tower is remarkably well-preserved inside. The original finishes include a grand curving walnut and pine staircase, carved marble mantels, and fine plaster work.' 
text - theamericanhome via Instragram
 2018 Google Maps
the granddaddy of Buena Park
a 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map with edits
In 1860, James Waller hired architect Joseph Lyman Silsbee, to build a house occupying a portion of Waller’s 53? acres of lakefront property. The existing lakefront was just immediate east of Halsted Street, at the time. The Waller house caught the attention of many, including one Eugene Field living at the corner of Clarendon and Hutchinson. Eugene Field was one of Chicago's prophetically proclaimed humorists and popular children’s poets, who made a poem titled
"The Ballad of Waller Lot." J.B. influenced township/city politics for years particularly the northward expansion of Lincoln Park, the park and Sheridan Road. 
Buena Park is currently a neighborhood in the Community of Uptown but from until 1889 was part of the Township/City of Lake View much like Andersonville and Ravenswood.
George W Snow
an investor of real estate
and civil engineer
'George Washington Snow invented the building construction method known as 'balloon framing'. Among the early settlers of Chicago, George W. Snow left his native New Hampshire to live for some periods in New York and Detroit, before heading for Chicago. Snow reached the mouth of the Chicago River on July 12, 1832. It had only 250 inhabitants at that point. Educated as a civil engineer, he was a lumber dealer, building contractor, financier, and real estate operator.'
a narrative by the Lake View Saga ...
Note: Mr. Snow's investment of $400,000
 would be well over 10 million in current dollars
Mrs. Tillie Lindstrom 
Just one those many settlers ...
A place to gather for the original settlers and their families in the late 19th and 20th century was at Harms Park once located at Western Avenue and Berteau Avenues. It was mostly comprised of a German speaking crowd - the dominant population at the time. 
a 1928 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Read an article about one of their events as late as 1944.

No Post Notes

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!

No comments: