June 08, 2015

Transit Lake View

Local Public Transportation
that includes 
the story about forgotten railroad
This post is a continuation of the another post called 
North Side Transport and the North Shore at Belmont.
In this post I highlight public transportation for
both elevated and ground within Lake View. This post is divided into ground/surface transport & elevated transport in old Lake View
View south at Clark Street Junction
art work by James Allen via Chicago L on Facebook
1930 Insull Transit Poster Series 
 JJ Sedeimaier Productions via
Raymond Kunst - Fine Art Photography 
zoomed view of the Clark Street Trolley Car
1900 ad - Chicago Daily Tribune
In 1882 saw the introduction of cable cars in Chicago. Cable cars were much faster than horse cars, capable of speeds of up to 14 mph. The first cable car line was on State Street north of 21st Street. The first electric trolleys were constructed on N Clark Street and Irving Park Road by 1896. The first overhead trolley car went into service in 1890 on 93rd Street between Stony Island & South Chicago Avenue. Electrification cable car routes were complete by 1906.
Simply, cable was pulled from under the street surface and the streetcar/trolleys were powered by electricity from above lines
image - GoGo Charters
The Cable-Car
illustrationBuried History Chicago Forgotten Cable Cars/WTTW
with a somewhat typical cable-car station below
illustration - Transformation of Baltimore

 The Streetcar
photo - Illinois Railway Museum
The Trolley Buses
photo - trolleydodger
1893 Rail and Street Map
forgotten source
image - Chicago Transit and Railfan
A broader view of transportation in 1893 city-wide
Blue indicates cable cars; Green indicates horse-drawn public carriages; Red indicates electric streetcars
a zoomed view of our area of interest
photo - Calumet 412 along Evanston Avenue (Broadway)
In the beginning, the riding public would have to pay a toll to use public transportation much like the tolls currently 
paid on Illinois and Chicago expressways.
A Streetcar Heading North 

postcard - Ebay 
and location identified by Susan Reibman Groff
On February 1, 1914, all street railway companies in Chicago were unified under one management and became known as the Chicago Surface Lines. Prior to that date service was provided by the following private companies: Chicago Railways Co., Chicago City Railway Co., Calumet & South Chicago River Co., Southern Street Rv. Co., and Chicago and Western River Company. Motor bus service began in Chicago on August 11, 1927 when the first gasoline buses were placed into service on Diversey Avenue. This was followed by the introduction of trolley bus service on April 17, 1930. In 1945, the Chicago Transit Authority was created. On October 1, 1947, the Chicago Transit Authority took over all rapid transit including streetcar & elevated in Chicago.
Some Local Background 
 Township/City of Lake View
According to my limited research one of the first public used rail lines was the extension of the Chicago's Clark Street line, then called Green Bay Road, was routed from Fullerton Avenue to "40 rods" or one quarter acre north of Fullerton Avenue - 'The Limits' car-barn.  
1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
published by Charles Rasher
In 1887 the governmental status changed from a township to a city
and retained it initial borders - Fullerton to Devon, Western Avenue to the then existing lakefront
zoomed view of Clark Street from Fullerton to Diversey 
that highlights the carbarn on Clark
By 1863 township trustees approved rail service on Evanston Avenue (Broadway) in 1863 from Diversey to Graceland (Irving Park Road). The residents along Evanston Avenue in the neighborhood of Pine Grove had a difficult transition from horse-drawn service vs engine-powered (dummy cars).
Dummy cars were streamed powered by which the first car-the engine car was meant to look like a passenger car so not freak-out the horses. Of course, the noise and smoke of the dummy engine disturb the horses, not the sight of it, so the horse powered streetcars were re-introduced years later to appease the other horse owned citizens. During this time period Evanston Avenue was referred by locals as Dummy Road and the Lake View Township #1 (Nettelhorst as of 1893) was referred to Dummy School - apparently not a derogatory term at the time. 
1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
(there was an addition built by 1893)
the school in 1911
postcard - Chicago History in Postcards
In 1876 Lincoln Avenue service (formerly called Little Fort Road) like the Clark Street [surface] rail (formerly known as Green Bay Road) connect the City of Chicago with the township that extended service from the city border street of Fullerton Avenue to Wrightwood Avenue. The township trustees approved the extension of Lincoln Avenue service from Wrightwood to Belmont Avenue by 1885. One year later northward expansion of privately owned and publicly used rail service continued on Halsted Street from Fullerton to Belmont Avenues. The alderman of the City of Lake View approved Clybourn Street service from Fullerton to Belmont Avenues. By 1900 a full service elevated was established between the Loop and Wilson Avenue that mostly cut though the alleyways of old Lake View.
Planning Township Service in 1886
The North Chicago streetcar #880 ran along Fullerton Avenue to Halsted Street between 1884 and 1895. By 1895 horse-drawn  transport was mostly replaced by electric. - CTA via Pinterest
Evanston (Broadway) Avenue trolley owned and operated by the Evanston Railway Company - a photo prior to 1913 
A Clark Street Line streetcar that made a connection to the Evanston Avenue (Broadway) electric streetcar in 1890 (one year after annexation) - Calumet 412 
At midnight of Tuesday December 27, 1910 the direct track connection between the Chicago Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) line and the Evanston Chicago Rail line was cut at Clark and Howard without any notice by the owners of the transit company, in an event called “cutting the line.” - urban terrorism maybe??
 heading north from the intersection of Clark and Diversey
apparently on Evanston Avenue
photo - Chicago History Museum via Calumet 412
Alert Evanston Avenue Residents 
Rapid Transit Ready?? in 1893
public transport had private owners

Invaded by Bees later that year in 1893


Do not ruin my scenic route! 1894
We Protest
Evidence of What Had Been 
near the corner of Stratford Place & Broadway in 2009
a 2018 Resurfacing Public Works Project
at Belmont/Sheffield
 photos - J. Willelme Banks-De Beauharnais 
photo below - Kevin Gaitsch 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
vintage tracks on Lincoln & Barry
2021 photo - Jarrod Godfrey
Vintage Scenes & Images
1925 photo - Northwest of Chicago on Facebook 
Intersections of Clark, Broadway, and Diversey Parkway 
Notice the marquee in the middle of photo highlighting Diversey Hotel and Diversey Theater now Versey Hotel and the Century Mall. As a side note, the first motor operated bus in Chicago was used along Diversey Parkway in 1927.
photo - Chuckman Collection
The intersection of Evanston Avenue (Broadway) to the right 
Clark Street to the left and Diversey Parkway at the bottom of photo
 1905 photo - Charles R. Childs photographer
photo - Lance Grey via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Lincoln Avenue 
south of Wellington/Southport intersection
photo - 1930's?
Electric car service on Clark Street 
and the connection to Evanston (Broadway) Avenue 
in 1884
image above - from a 2013 CTA Calendar
1938 Chicago Surface Line Map
Chicago once had one of the world’s largest streetcar systems, more than 500 miles of line on nearly 100 routes by 1935. Horsecar service began in 1859, and was supplanted in the 1880s by a large network of cable car lines. In the 1890s, electric “trolleys” proved more efficient and the cable cars were replaced by 1906. Beginning in 1914, the various companies holding franchises for different parts of the city operated as a single system known as Chicago Surface Lines. More than 3,700 large red streetcars plied the city’s streets by 1935, and 680 new streamlined green PCC cars began arriving after World War II. The new public agency Chicago Transit Authority took over the streetcar system in 1947 and began to integrate the surface lines with the city’s elevated train network. In the 1950s, CTA decided to phase out streetcars in favor of motor and electric trolley buses, and Chicago’s last streetcar ran in June 1958.
#22 Clark at Clark Street and Sheffield Avenue
all photos - Trolley Dodger
#9 Ashland shuttle car on Addison Street heading east passed
 Lake View High School
and below
a #22 heading north on Clark Street
The Clark/Halsted 
& Barry Intersection
Bob Hendricks 1955 photo - Chicago Streetcar Group/FB
vs
2019 Google Maps
 streetcar heading south on Halsted, Clark & at Barry
photo - the Trolley Dodger
1940's photo - via Calumet 412 (Trolleydodger?)
 Today's current view would be CVS store to the right of the photo and Marshall's dept. store to the left.
1940's? photo - Trolley Dodger via Uptown Update
streetcar heading south on Halsted & trolley heading south on Clark
photo below
via Ronald Jackson/Chicago Streetcar Group
The Waveland Avenue 
Turn-a-Round 
from Broadway to Halsted via Waveland Avenue 
photo - dfwu/Ebay
 streetcar and then a green hornet heading west 
on Waveland from Broadway to Halsted Street
photo - Chuckman Collection
photo - Ebay
below photo via George Snyder
A Then and Now on Halsted passed Waveland
Forgotten Chicago on Facebook contributor Art Colletta with the same location as of 2011 Google Maps
Streetcar #90 
heading west on Irving Park Road
photo - CTA 2014 calendar

Grace/Halsted/Broadway Intersection
a #36 Broadway heading south passed Grace Street as it makes a slight turn to the east on Broadway
1952 photo below -  Robert W. Gibson Photo/Electric Railway Historical Society Collection
photo slides below - Trolleydodger  
Heading south on Broadway heading toward Grace Street

images - CTA 2015 calendar
above photo - CTA 1935
below photo - CTA 2018 calendar
The images below are trolley cars called the 'Big Brill'.
Its' route was from the Grace-Halsted terminal (turn-around) to Madison Avenue in the Loop and then to Austin Avenue. 
The 'Big Brill route' began in 1910 and ended by 1933.
A total of 683 PPC (Presidents’ Conference Committeecars were purchased in 1948. Ten years later all but one of the prewar cars had been scrapped, most of the postwar cars had been stripped of parts.
Note: Read the Facebook comments on the photo below! 
photo - Ebay
 Devon /Broadway & Devon/Clark streetcar
*Devon Avenue was the northern border of old Lake View*
Intersection of Clark/Broadway/Diversey
1940's photo - Ebay
This photo has great resolution if copied to your computer. 
Notice the man on the upper right hanging out the 
window cleaning his window!!
Wellington? and Clark Street in 1946
photo - Chuckman Collection
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
the other side of Southport - Ebay
Irving Park and Broadway in 1948
Jim Huffman – Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
from his collection, Ed Frank Jr photos
"Looking west on Irving w/a work truck & Red Car #888 about to take the crossover WB, looking east on Irving at Broadway & 2-PCC's. The Red Car has the CSL emblem on the sides, as does a PCC. The CTA when they took over, changed the emblems to CTA as the cars arrived at the Car Barns. There were some routes that converted to bus in 1948, Montrose was one of them. The Irving east end & cross over, was west of Broadway. But the tracks continued & connected to Broadway. One of the earliest routings was NB Evanston (Broadway) to Irving & thence WB. Later WB to Clark & NB to Evanston, for a while." Note: WB means 'westbound'.
On Irving Park Road #80 along the cemetery between Sheridan Road and Clark Street both streetcars (right) and trolleys (left) - 1954 
#22 Clark Street 'Green Hornet' in 1957
by the trolleydodger
Heading south on Clark Street passed Graceland Cemetery entrance
Heading south on Clark Street passed the cemeteries 
south of Irving Park Road
heading south passed the former coal yard toward now defaunt section of Seminary Avenue
a 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance map of now defaunt section of Seminary Avenue highlighting the coal yard west of the ballpark
a Green Hornet heading north on Clark beyond Addison Street
A engine powered bus heading into 
Belmont Avenue from Wilton Avenue
1955 photo - Growing Up in Chicago-Facebook
the building to the right was razed 
for the Belmont Station renovation project

 Belmont/Clark heading east 
#77 Belmont was converted from trolley bus
 to motor bus in 1973
photo - Wm Shapotkin Collection 
 
another look of that intersection - view northwest
- part of my personal collection
Target sits there currently
Belmont trolleybus at Belmont and Halsted Turnabout in 1961
#77 at Belmont & Southport Avenue in 1968
photo - Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal
 apparently used from the 1940's to 60's per Ebay
photo - Ebay
postcard - Chuckman Collection
The Diversey Parkway electric trolley - 1950's  
It cost 20 to 25 cents per ride
photo - 
photo - forgotten source
The #152 trolley bus traveling west on Ashland 
next to Lake View High School
photo - Vintage Chicago History
below image - Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs-Facebook
Clark #22 at Belmont and Clark Street
Forgotten Chicago-Facebook contributor 
photo - Kenneth Josephson probably from the 1940's
 The #36 Broadway heading north to Devon Avenue garage
unknown date - Chicago Streetcar Group- Facebook
The Devon Avenue Car-barn
 end of the line north for the Broadway #36 
Another car-barn on Broadway and Ardmore
photo - Chicago Streetcar Group-Facebook
#36 Broadway on State Street
1950's - Cera Archives 
 Part of a longer route
below is a zoomed view of the page above
above images - Chicago Streetcar Group-Facebook 
Now take a ride in Ocober 1956 on the #36 Broadway 
with this link!
Clark #22 meets the Broadway #36 heading south
photo - Trolleydodger
photo - via Trolleydodger
the #22 Clark to the left & the #36 Broadway to the right
Broadway # 36 near Surf Street
photo - Trolleydodger
photos - J.J. Sedelmaier, Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
heading north from Clark Street to Broadway into Lake View
passing Ricketts Restaurant and Bar
photo - Illinois Digital Archives
From the B&W photo above you can see the sign for it
1957 photo - Trolleydodger.com
via Ronald Jackson/Chicago Streetcar Group-FB
below slide - via Kevin Heinlein/Chicago Streetcar Group-FB
Intersection of Clark Street/Diversey Parkway with the
former Parkway Theater to the right
looking south in 1955?  
on Clark toward Southport Avenue
via Edward Kwiatkowski 'North Side Chicago'-Facebook
Belmont Avenue east of the L
1967 photo - Vanished Chicago-Facebook
Belmont and Southport in 1968
When the Addison and Diversey buses 
had a direct route to the Loop in 1969
The Last Day for the Electric
The last day of electric trolley in Chicago 
'On June 21, 1958 while most of us were starting another Saturday morning, Green Hornet #7213 completed her final run on the
#22 Clark-Wentworth route. She clanged her bell twice and rolled quietly into the CTA barn at Seventy-Seventh-and-Vincennes, never to be seen again. The age of the electric trolley, 
let alone the streetcar had ended.' - Every Block Chicago
Last run for the Broadway Clark 
My thanks to Timothy M. Szarzynski contributor to 
Forgotten Chicago on Facebook for this snapshot
The #80 Irving Park bus 
by the post office west of Clark Street
photo - 'Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs'-Facebook
The #151 Addison bus west of Sheffield
1960's - photo Ebay
waiting at Diversey & Sheridan in 1978
photo via Vintage CTA Bus Routes & Signs-Facebook
The #36 Broadway 
heading south passed the original Broadway Methodist Church to Buckingham Place 1970's photo - Dennis Linsky 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Streetcars at Clark/Southport
2018 Google Map of the area
photos via the Trolley Dodger




 on Southport Avenue just passing Clark Street

photo - Chicago Streetcar Group on Facebook
'Big Brill' passing Grace Street on Clark
1947 photo - thetrolleydodger
heading east on Belmont from Clark Street
#22 Clark & #9 Ashland at Southport & Clark
below photo - Trolley Dodger
with an enlargement 
The Decommissioned Roscoe Route
referred to as the Riverview branch
image above - CTA video clip
 image below - Chicago Railfan
postcard below is from my personal collection
Past & Present Bus Routes
historical routes from Chicago Railfan
a shorter route by 2019
74 Fullerton*
Before the annexation of 1889 the City of Lake View 
and the City of Chicago shared this street
76 Diversey
77 Belmont
78 Montrose
80 Irving Park
134 Stockton/LaSalle Express
135 Lake Shore Drive Express 
145 Lake Shore Drive Express*
discontinued in 2012

146 Lake Shore Drive Express
148 Clarendon/Michigan Express
151 Sheridan
image - Chicago Motor Coach Company by John F Doyle
156 LaSalle
The Struggle to Reinstate 
the #11 Lincoln
photo - Ebay
image above - CTA
vs the new route
This bus service ended in 2012 due to reshuffling of CTA resources but after some political battles and with the alderman's full support temporary service returned in 2016
April 2012
November 2015
The Sheridan Red Line L tracks
Irving Park Road, Seminary Avenue, and Dakin Street alley
Opened May 31 1900 and rebuilt in 1916 & 1930
Raymont Kunst - Fine Art Photography
The Surface Rails & The Elevated:
 The Surface Rails:
the two RR tracks that cut though Lake View
*both RR's began as competing passenger train companies*
Milwaukee Road Division
currently the Chicago Metra 
mostly along Ravenswood Avenues
and turns eastward after Wrightwood
and the 
aka
Chicago & North Western
*defunct*
along Herndon (Lakewood Avenue)
northeast to Seminary Avenue
1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
when Lake View was township/city
from Sulzer Street (Montrose Avenue)
to Fullerton Avenue
*X marks the route of both RR's*
Chicago & North Western Railway 
to the left of map
and
Chicago, Milwaukee, & Lake Superior 
to the right of map
sheet 1
sheet 2 above
sheet 3 below
Station Passenger Houses:
The Stations for the
Chicago & North Western Railway
*1891-1894 maps*
when Lake View was a District of Chicago
Deering Passenger Station
once located southside of Fullerton Avenue 
in the City of Chicago 
between Wood Street & the river
zoomed below
(Chester was decommissioned)
Gross Park Station
once located on Lakewood (Herndon) 
between Belmont & Melrose
Cuyler Station
Graceland = Irving Park Road
Ravenswood avenue was once divided in name
east of tracks was called East Ravenswood Park
west of the was called West Ravenswood Park

zoomed view below
The Stations for the
Chicago, Milwaukee, & Lake Superior
Fullerton Avenue Station
zoomed view below
Belmont Station
the tracks turn northeast north of Belmont Avenue & 
east of Herndon (Lakewood Avenue)
zoomed view below
Verona Station
zoomed view below
Buena Park Station 
once located east of Graceland Cemetery
zoomed view below
The Elevated Rails:
advanced in Lake View by 1900
a 1913 map
zoomed below
gray coded - decommissioned
The decommissioned stations by 1947
are the Clark, Grace, and Buena
metal sign - part of my collection
In the "A" and "B' plan of express service successive trains are alternately "A" trains and "B" trains. Less important stations on the route are designated alternately from the end of a route as "A" stations or as "B" stations. More important stations are designated as "all-stop" stations. "A" stations are served by "A" trains, "B" stations are served by "B" trains and "all-stop" stations are served by "A" and "B" trains. The "A" trains skip one group of stops while the "B" trains skip an alternate group. All are expresses 
and there are no locals. - Chicago L.org
The Red (Howard) Line:
within the Community of Lake View
Belmont Station
metal sign
Michael Steigerwald via Chicago Rapid Transit-Facebook

1907 view - Wikipedia
1930's photos below
 J.J. Sedelmaier via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
photo - CTA calendar
1940's photo - Scott Greig vi Chicago Elevated-Facebook 
Leaving the Belmont Station 1950's
on Roscoe view east towards Sheffield
information of this 1960's photo provided by the friends of LakeView Historical-Facebook
1960's photo & text - CTA 2018 calendar
1960 photo - CTA RPM/Facebook
Ravenswood train entering the station from the north
Feburary 1962 photo - Ebay
1964 - Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
 GE Reports photo 
via Jeff Nichols-Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
with an advertisement that highlights Lake View's Curtiss Candies on the platform via David Zornig and a local dealership

via George Kelly Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
another 1964 view with a watermark - Ebay
via Cinema Treasures of all places
photo - bcoolidge.com 1968 via Marc Gelfond 
6000's series B train - Chuckman Collection
1968 photo - William Shapotkin via Chicago L-Facebook
view south 1969 - Calumet 412
another view south 1969 - Ebay
Heading toward the platform 1969 - Ebay
late 50's or early 60's photo 
via Steve Fields, Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
heading north just beyond Clark Street Junction with the Belmont Station in the distance in 1968
photo via Marty Bernard, Chicago L-Facebook
photographed by Roger Puta
and a snowy day in 1969 view south
Rose Daniella Marie via Original Chicago-Facebook 
Lou Gerard Chicago L-Facebook in 1970
this train car was called a 'motor car'
the Clark Street Junction Tower in the distance

1975 - Chuckman Collection
Marty Bernard‎ 1972 via Chicago Rapid Transit, Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
The Pedestrian Bridge Views
1972 photo - JJ Sedelmaier
Lou Gerad via Chicago L-Facebook
with a zoomed view of the sign
photo - JJ Sedelmaier
part is his personal collection hanging on his wall
 
Photos above from a blog called 'New Daves Real'
1968 photo - Mike Tuggle Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
The view is northbound1968 photo - Ebay1973 photo - Lou Gerard via Chicago L-Facebook1977 photo - Frank Florianz Chicago L via Facebook 1978 Chuckman CollectionMike Tuggle - CTA 6000 series 1980's
via Forgotten Chicago Discussion Groupphoto - Lou Gerard  
via Chicago Rapid Transit Elevated Trains Group1978 per Ebay
Ravenswood (Brown) train at station - 1979 Calumet 412 
1979 press photo - Ebay
1979 photo - Authur Lazar Photography
a Ravenswood train heading north in 1983 - Ebay
film plate photo - Peter Ehlich
heading south to the station in 1986
View east from platform - 2000
 University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed out view
a pre-1992 photo from
University of Illinois-Urbana/Chicago
  University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed out view
University of Illinois at Chicago, City 2000
zoomed view
a 2000 modeling photo showing stairs to over-train bridge 
to the other side
UIC photo via Explore Chicago Collection
2001 photo - 'Chicago-L'
2004 photo view north - Chicago Trip
before the renovation of 2007 - 2009
photo - Yo Chicagobefore the station renovation
The original station saved & moved across the street in 1989
on the platform in 2000
photo - UIC via Explore Chicago Collection
 2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
 renovated station - David Lee Csicsko
2010 photo - Tom Tunney-Facebook
2013 photo below - Streetsblog Chicago
2018-2021
more detail reporting 
in my post called Northside Transit
a more detailed accounting in my post called Northside Transit

'As part of the first phase of the Red and Purple Modernization (RPM) Program, CTA has begun construction of the Red-Purple Bypass north of the Belmont Station to eliminate a bottleneck that prevents CTA from adding more trains. Currently there is a flat rail intersection, and all northbound Brown Line trains cross over the four tracks used by northbound and southbound Red and Purple line trains. This outdated track configuration dates back to 1907 and results in inefficient train operations that constrain the CTA’s ability to add train service.' - CTA



The Before & After
The CTA would email me alerts on the construction phases 
and virtual meetings such as the one in 2018
above image - Ebay
Chicago's Classic Signs & Symbols-Facebook
This station from 1949 - mid 1990's was a B station that allowed A trains to bypass it to the next A designated station
 Lake View's Addison Station - 1989 
reconstructed by 1994
a transit poster advertising the station and its relationship with Wrigley Field and the Chicago Bears in 1929
1960s photos - Scott Greig via Chicago L-Facebook
unknown date
1966 photo - Jeffery Lindmark via Chicago L -Facebook
1974 photo - William Shapokin via Chicago L -Facebook
via Billy Kapp, Chicagopedia-Facebook 
the photographer was Billy's father - late 1960's
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
photo - Wikipedia
still ground zero of public transit for the games
2015 photo - CTA
below photo Christopher Rinker via Chicago L-Facebook
a vintage train taking fans to the 2016 World Series
all descriptors in this section - Chicago L.org
It was a switching tower & passenger platform 
at Clark Street just south of Roscoe
According to Chicago L.org the CTA established massive changes to the north-south Howard route in 1949, three years after the establishment of the Chicago Transit Authority - the  replacement to the Chicago Rapid Transit System
 1972 by Marty Bernard, Chicago Rapid Transit, 
Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group
William Shapotkin Collection via Chicago L-Facebook
The concept of "local" stations, of which Clark's much like the Grace Station low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop concept and the station was closed, serving only 357,348 in its last year of operation. - Chicago L.org
a 1923 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map  
Grace Street Station survived the CTA's 1947 takeover, but was one of 23 stations that closed along the North-South Route service revision in August 1, 1949. The concept of "local" stations, of which Grace's low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop concept so this the station was closed. - Chicago L.org
unknown date
2019 photo - Garry Albrecht
This is the intersection where the Sheridan Road is routed from west to north. The station is a block away.
(south is Sheffield Avenue and west is Byron)
the X's indicate the turn from West to North Sheridan Road1902 photo - Jeff Nichols via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
a Google Earth view of the tracks
article by WBEZ
 When the North Shore Line was routed
 along the old Howard Line (Redline)
unknown date photo - Scott Greig via Chicago L-Facebook
 train passes the station in 1955 1973 photo - Lou Gerard via Chicago L-Facebook1973 photo - Lou Gerard via Chicago L-Facebook 
both photos above are of the Evanston Express1975 photo - UIC via Explore Chicago Collection
view north on Sheridan Road and Sheridan RoadHeading north with no New York skyscraper in the distance
1978 by Marty Bernard Chicago Rapid Transit, 
Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group1980 photo - Dale Wickum via Forgotten Chicago-FacebookSteve McQueen on the Curve
taking the turn from the station above Byron Street
Dale Wickum via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 1983
It has really not changed one bit!
photo - flickerhivemind

the original stairs still used 2016
2016 photos - Raymond Kunst Fine Art Photography
Lou Gerad via Chicago L-Facebook in 2016 World Series
with the New York skyscraper in the distance
photo - Flickr Hive Mind
photo - Flickr Hive Mind
In later years, an enclosed concession space was added in the unpaid area of the interior along the north wall. Over the years, Sheridan has remained somewhat historically intact, with its original floors, wood moldings, and decorative ticket booth. Other features, however, such as the original exterior gloved lights and some ornamentation has been lost. The terrazzo floor has also become deteriorated over the decades due to flooding from busted pipes.
 photo - Travis DeWit website
2012  The Sheridan Station renovation has been scheduled as part of a $1 billion overhaul that includes federal, state and local funding sources for the Red Line from its northern end on Howard to the 95th Street station. Still waiting as of 2021.
Raymond Kunst - Fine Art Photography
*one of the last non-rehabbed stations a/o 202*1
Photography by Chris Cullen 2020

The Brown (Ravenswood) Line
within the Community of Lake View
 the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
 the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
the old Ravenswood L near Lincoln & Newport Avenue
1906 photo - Chicago History Museum 
via Explore Chicago Collection
images - J.J. Sedelmaier
and 

interior view of a Ravenswood car
1957 photo - Chuckman Collection
Making the split from Belmont Station - 1950's?
The Diversey 'headhouse' was one of several stations built from a design by William Gibb. The station was constructed entirely of brick with terra-cotta trim, the Classical Revival design was inspired by the work of the great 16th century Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. The bold modeling of the details, especially the columns and segmented arched windows, is characteristic of Italianate work of the late 19th century. - Chicago L. org
photo - Nia Architects
view east of platform
University of Illinois-Chicago, City 2000
Photos below from Amanda Martinez 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook 
Preservation of the interior as of 2017
more information
photo as of 1970
Wellington station opened on May 31, 1900 as part of the original stretch of the Northwestern Elevated. The station-house was one of several stations built designed by William Gibb on what is now the Brown Line. Constructed entirely of brick with terra-cotta trim, the Classical Revival Design was inspired by the work of the great 16th century Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio.
- Chicago L.org
heading north leaving the Wellington Station in 1968
photo via Marty Bernard, Chicago L-Facebook
both photos photographed by Roger Puta

south & north views 
Marty Bernard via Chicago Rapid Transit, Chicago Transit Authority, Elevated Trains Group / Facebook
The 1978 photo shows the B train to Jackson Park 
& another B train Ravenswood.
1982 photo - Lou Gerard via Chicago L-Facebook
below 2000 photo - University of Illinois-Chicago; City 2000 
after passing the Belmont Station Overpass
pre 2007 photos below
photo - Nile Guide
unknown date
pre 2007 photo - mark2400 via flickr
late 1990's photo - Eric E. Breese 
from LakeView Historical-Facebook
According to Eric Breese the following business along Southport Avenue were the following, "The business on the left from Newport headed south to Roscoe are: Brandt-Beach Realty, Viennese Cafe Haus Brandt, The Red Tomato, CTA Southport Station, and Southport Mini Mart (a laundromat)."
2014 view from platform
under tracks toward station
photo - Lauren Sease Martinez via Pinterest
2008 photo below 
The Mural in this Station
2018 photos - Garry Albrecht

with a zoomed view below of the signage
 1961 photo - David Harrison via Chicago L-Facebook 
Lincoln, Roscoe, Paulina intersection
1987 photo - Robert Krueger, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collections
Paulina Station House
1987 photo - Robert Krueger, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collections
The original Paulina Station House
photo - Mark Levin via LakeView Historical-Facebook
The yellow circle indicates its P for Paulina
Lou Gerad via Chicago L-Facebook in 1981
William Shapotkin via Chicago L-Facebook 1994
view south from platform toward Lincoln Avenue
2018 photo - Garry Albrecht
 This station now has its own Facebook presence!
pre 2007 photo - Wash Burn Architecture
In 2009 a new station house was built across the street from the site of the old stationhouse
post 2008 photo - Mark2400 via Flickriver
an express from the Loop to City of Evanston
The Belmont Station is the only interlocking connection 
on this line in the Community Lake View
An Old Power Station 
Converted
The Newport Avenue Sub-Station
once for the electric streetcars & trolleys
photo - William Vandervoort, 
contributor to Forgotten Chicago on Facebook 
1950 Sanborn Fire Insureance Map
A power station supplied electricity to the rails of old Lake View streetcars & trolleys is still located at 1044 Newport Avenue. This old sub-station as of 2015 will be part of planned development per Chicago Real Estate Daily.
the newer look below - DNAinfo
views from Zillow below
*another view of it*
The Evanston Branch of
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad  
(originally called Evanston, Chicago & Lake Superior)
four years after Lake View was established as a township 
but before the township was incorporated. 

The Evanston branch of this RR were mostly used for the transportation of freight; short distances within the Chicagoland area as early as 1885 that was once routed through the Township/City of Lake View; after annexation from the City of Chicago to the Township/City of Evanston.
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
Let's begin this journey from Irving Park Road that separates the neighborhoods of Uptown with Lake View to the former border of Fullerton Avenue that once separated the Township/City of Lake View and the City of Chicago. The Sanborn Fire Maps presented are from 1923 even though the Chicago & Evanston RR tracks date back to 1885 when Lake View was a township. Viewing a 1887 map of the township of Lake View very little development was indicated; by 1923 a number of companies were established on either side of the tracks. Using a Google Earth or an interactive blogger site called Forgotten Railways,Roads & Places dated 2018 residential buildings are dotted like a snake along the old tracks between Belmont and Addison forever indicating a strange configuration to modern day Lake View.
1887 map view of the RR with a zoomed view below
1894 view in sections
Addison to Irving Park Road
Belmont to Addison
Diversey to Belmont
Fullerton to Diversey
(prior to 1889 Fullerton was the southern border of the township)
”Chicago is the most important railroad center in North America. More lines of track radiate in more directions from Chicago than from any other city. Chicago has long been the most important interchange point for freight traffic between the nation's major railroads.” - Encyclopedia of Chicago 
One such railroad was the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company - Evanston Branch that had its beginnings in 1872 twenty-eight years before commuter elevated tracks were built by the North Western Company (Redline and Brownline). The CM&P delivered freight to and from Chicago manufacturers that once included Lake View. Lake View in the 19th and mid-20th centuries was referred to as a blue collar manufacturing area that included coal yards, metal works, lumber yards, greenhouses and a well-known Chicago brewery as well as candy companies.
A Summary of RR's Demise
image - Flickr
We Begin the Journey at 
Irving Park Road Southward
 The Northwestern once owned the ground and 
elevated tracks in old Lake View
the tracks run west of Alta Vista

tracks run straight down Seminary Avenue

tracks begin to curve off west at Addison
This is the area of the tracks that begin to get interesting as it appears to slice its way through the neighborhood. Seminary Avenue between Addison and Waveland non-existent 
after for Wrigley Field renovations. 
2002 photo- Chicago Switching

unknown year photo - from Railroads Chicago Style 
Notice a RR watch tower that was once located at the intersection of west of Seminary, Clark, and Addison Street.
Another Forgotten Story 
of Seminary Avenue & these Tracks
By Ray Gibson and Gary Washburn
 and Tribune staff reporters
August 02, 2001

Documents show that 103 years ago--on Aug. 5, 1918--the City Council voted to open up Seminary between Addison Street and Waveland Avenue.

Coincidentally, those old council minutes also indicate that the city was having a problem with railroads encroaching on public streets and alleys. The council's Committee on Local Industries was directed to investigate and, separately, the corporation counsel was ordered "to institute such legal proceedings as he may deem necessary" against one offending rail company.

As part of the Wrigley investigation, officials have unearthed an 1882 agreement between the city and the Chicago, Evanston, & Lake Superior Railroad, allowing the company to lay tracks in the Lake View [Lake View was an independent township in 1882] near the future ballpark site, said Jennifer Hoyle, a Law Department spokeswoman. (The park that was to become Wrigley was built in 1914.)

1887 map of the township 
with a zoomed view of the area below

But the agreement didn't indicate the city had turned over the land to the railroad, she said.

Through a turn-of-the-century acquisition, the Chicago, Evanston & Lake Superior became part of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, the rail company that sold the land just west of Wrigley to Tribune Company. Hoyle acknowledged that the city is "convinced that Tribune purchased from the railroad and the railroad purchased it from a private party" at some point in history. But that does not mean that anyone had the right to sell what may have been public land, she said.

In 1976, city records show that the Chicago, Milwaukee railroad informed the city it was giving up its interest in a portion of Seminary, just north of Wrigley, but it is not clear whether the railroad had an easement permitting its tracks to be in the street or whether it owned the land, Hoyle said.

Records sometimes provide conflicting information, and the city has decided to bring in expert assistance--possibly Chicago Title and Trust Co., a private title insurance company whose records predate the 1871 Chicago Fire--to try to get to the bottom of the question of who is the rightful owner of the land next to the ballpark.

When information gaps appear in the Cook County recorder of deeds office, "then we look at Chicago Title and try to fill in the gaps," said Dennis Kasper, executive vice president of Near North National Title Company.

Kasper said there is no guarantee the answer to the mystery can be resolved through land records. "Who knows what could have happened 50, 60, 80, 100 years ago," he said. "We have seen a lot of odd, crazy things. But they are the exception rather than the rule."

(the curve of the tracks continue to Belmont)
The most notable evidence in 2018 are these Google Map views on Eddy just west of Clark Street
 view south on Eddy 
and below view north on Eddy
 The tracks sliced through the middle of the street blocks.
Dwellings of all sorts surrounded the tracks 
by mid 20th century
Some Interesting Photos of What Was 
and How the RR Sliced through 
this Section of Lake View
with my confirmation of the location of this photo below
a Google Earth view with my edited markings of the RR route
from Racine to Wrigley Field - Addison/Clark streets
and the XX's mark below confirms the validity of the photo above
zoomed further below - X marks the spot
early views below
and the view of it in 1907 below
above image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
the curve of the tracks begin to straighten out 
in a line south on Lakewood

From Belmont Avenue southward the tracks begin to route in a straight path down Lakewood Avenue
tracks begin to run along on Lakewood Avenue south
 2013 photo - Garry Albrecht 
photo - Chicago Public Library
a 1946 view of a train car on Lakewood at Belmont
view northwest toward Lakewood
I do not understand a train car sitting on Lakewood 
north of Belmont??
 1985 photo - Tom Burke 
Signal crossing on Belmont/west of Lakewood 
 a north view toward Lakewood north of Belmont
This is where the tracks leave Lakewood to head easterly toward Clark and Addison
and below a 2019 Google view of the same intersection
tracks head eastward-ly and Lakewood westward-ly
the photo below shows the tracks just south of Belmont. 
The track to the left probably heading to a factory plant and 
the one on the right was the main line
Crossing the Street at Belmont
view is east toward Lakewood
above images via Flickr
 images via Flickr
Best Brewing Company 
was along this route on Fletcher Avenue
 photo - Layman Guide to Beer
 photo - Garry Albrecht
 photo - Garry Albrecht
The Best Brewing Company of Chicago was located along the CM&P so to economically transport their product to market. The building was originally owned by breweries Klockgeter & Company in 1885 and then Kagebein & Folstaff one year later. The buildings occupants were many but all related to brewing beer. Their beer products of this company were the ‘Hapsburg Bock’ (1933 – 1962), ‘Hapsburg Beer’ (1933 - 1962), and ‘Best Ale’ (1937 – 1962). Currently, the building is listed in the National Register of Historical Places in 1987 and used for residential space. Most of the buildings of the former manufacturing area are physically gone but not completely forgotten thanks to Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (like type of Google maps of its day) that were created in the 19th century for property insurance, fire protection, and street & sanitation concerns.
*Lakewood has a tree 
and shrub barrier at this point*
2014 photo - Garry Albrecht
the organic barrier below on Barry
2014 photos - Garry Albrecht
View north of the barrier in the distance on Barry Avenue 
The crumbling of the street due to the covering of the tracks which should have been removed but less costly
 images via Flickr
 Imagine a tanker running down your street!!
1980 vs 2018 on Lakewood at Wellington
a straight line down Lakewood toward Lincoln Avenue
tracks are to the left of the map
Tracks begin to appear as late as 2012
- view north and south on Diversey Parkway 
2014 photos - Garry Albrecht
2014 photo - Garry Albrecht
Leaving the Community of Lake View for
Lincoln Park
apparently the tracks connected to Union Station
C&E heading towards Peerless Confection - 2000
photo - Chicago Switching
The most remembered company along its route was
Peerless Candies once located at Lakewood & Schubert in Lincoln Park- closed in 2007 along with Finkl Steel once located 
further south - moved to the south-side. 

images above - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson 
beyond Fullerton Avenue
The most noticeable segment of the old tracks 
as of 2015 are at 1310 W Webster in Lincoln Park
photo - unknown source
A Replica of the RR still Remains
northeast corner of Schubert & Lakewood
RR sign - two angles of it
2020 Google view
Readlook, and view more about the Evanston Branch that linked downtown Chicago with the Township of Evanston that was sliced geographical though old Lake View.
Below is a excerpt from a article about the 'Lakewood Corridor' in
The Reader by Philip Berger in 2020
The Stations of 
- Evanston Branch
once called the Chicago Evanston & Lake Superior Railroad per this 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
'From 1885 to 1908, the Milwaukee Road operated commuter trains between Chicago and Evanston. In 1908 this operation was replaced by elevated trains, which evolved to the CTA's Red Line and Purple Line. The line north of Wilson Ave. was elevated and upgraded to today's rapid transit line. While between downtown Chicago and Wilson Ave., commuter trains operated until 1917. That line was subsequently downgraded and eventually abandoned.'
Some of the Stations
Fullerton Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Fullerton Avenue near Lakewood Avenue, on the east side of the tracks.
Lincoln Ave. - a station building existed a short distance south of the intersection of Lincoln Avenue, George St., and Lakewood Ave. on the east side of the tracks.
Belmont Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Belmont Avenue near Lakewood Avenue, on the east side of the tracks.
Addison St. - a station building existed on the south side of Addison Street west of Clark Street, on the east side of the tracks. Immediately north of there, the railroad passed what would be the west side of Wrigley Field.
Verona - a station building existed on the north side of Byron Avenue at Seminary Avenue, on the east side of the tracks. 
Graceland/Buena Park - a station house existed at Buena Avenue & about Kenmore Avenue before its demo. The building below appears to be once a house then a station house for freight.
photo below- Pinterest
Ravenswood - once served the Community of Ravenswood located north of Sunnyside & south of Wilson Avenue. The Community of Ravenswood was once an important area of the former township/city of Lake View
View this 1905 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map below ...
from Montrose to Wilson
the statioin was more near Wilson
zoomed view of the station
The CTA Stations
(murals, structures, and glass of art)


No Post Notes:

Follow me to my next post called


Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!  

1 comment:

Daniel Williams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.