June 15, 2015

North Side Transit

Public Transportation 
Travels North & Northwest
 This post is related to Transport Lake View and another post called North Shore at Belmont. This particular post is a tale 
of the northward expansion of transportation in both the City of Chicago and the former Township/City of Lake View. 
Let's begin with one of the first roads that began as a trail.
by Ray Noesen
published by Edgewater Historical Society in 1999
The imagination is strained to picture Clark Street two-hundred or even one-hundred years ago. Much of the terrain as well as the function of the road has changed. As one of the oldest roads in Chicago, it has gone from a narrow meandering trail traversed by Indians and European traders to a bustling thoroughfare. Straightened out, paved, lit by overhead electrical fixtures and flanked on either side by commercial enterprises, Clark Street travels through any number of developed settlement areas that were built and have survived as a direct result of this ancient road.
It was retreating glaciers that caused the area’s ridge formations which became the route of Indian trails and, later, highways. As the ice sheet retreated irregularly, it occasionally paused long enough to permit shore currents in the lakes formed by the melted ice to create spits, bars, and beaches. In later times, these sandy strips were the only well-drained ground in the spring, and the Indians used them for overland travel when the surrounding area was water logged.1 As with most early diagonal trails and roads, Green Bay Road followed the glacial ridges, or other high ground, because it was less susceptible to being washed out by mud and flooding. Today Clark Street and Ridge Avenue remain positioned along the geographical inheritance. 
The Native American Trail
map - Chicago History Museum via WTTW
There were many thoroughfares that played an important role in the development of Chicago. The Indian, like his European successor, originally had a choice of routes by which to travel to his chosen destination. Roads to the south linked the trading post, and later the city, with eastern centers. Roads that led westward sought Galena as a terminating point where the Galena and Chicago railroad linked Chicago with the eastern portion of the United States. In contrast, the objective of the ancient highway leading north had Green Bay as its terminus where Fort Howard was an important trading post. 
illustration - Chicago’s Highway: Old and New
Green Bay, Wisconsin, as well as Chicago, Illinois, were important areas first to the Indians and later to the European settlers. To the Indians, Green Bay and Chicago were trading areas within the Great Lakes region. Both were portages between Lake Michigan and river systems, making them natural trading centers. In the era of European and American settlement, these two trading posts were marked by forts. In Chicago it was Fort Dearborn and in Green Bay it was 
Fort Howard. To move from area to area the Indians established connecting trails between the two cities. 
The Europeans, mostly French and German, adopted and developed them for their own use. Andrew J. Vieau, whose father came as a trader to Milwaukee in 1795, referring to the road between Green Bay and Milwaukee in 1837, writes: “This patch was originally an Indian trail and very crooked but the whites would straightened it by cutting across lots each winter with their jumpers, wearing bare streaks through the thin covering, to be followed in the summer by foot and horse back travel along the shortened path.” A jumper was the type of sled known as a French train, consisting of a box some six feet long and three feet wide, which was drawn over the surface of the snow.
map - existing routes in 1850 
The Green Bay Trail began in Chicago with two alternative routes, each of which gave rise, in the period of European settlement, to an important highway. The first, which is the one more commonly identified with Green Bay road, started at the north end of the Michigan Boulevard bridge and ran north along the height of land between the lake shore and the North Branch of the river. The route led north on Rush Street as far as Chicago Avenue and from there northwesterly for a mile to the intersection of Clark Street and North Avenue. In the earlier life of the city this diagonal path was represented by a road, but modern city building pays little heed to the preservation of Indian trails, and all traces of this diagonal path has long since disappeared. Professor Halsey, an industrious historian of Lake County, recorded in 1860 that he lived at the south end of this diagonal, and it was then and for several years afterward known as the Green Bay Road. Continuing northwest, the trail kept inland from the lake some distance, coming in sight of it between Chicago and Milwaukee only at Gross Point (now part of Eanston). It passes Waukegan three miles inland, Kenosha five miles, and Racine about the same distance. 
illustration - Chicago’s Highway: Old and New
In 1831, a post office was established in Chicago and for some time cities for 50 miles around became tributary to Chicago for its postal facilities. It wasn’t until the middle 1830’s that settlers in any numbers began to turn their attention to the wooded area to the north of the city. 
The primary use of the Green Bay road during the pioneer days of Chicago was as a mail route between the two forts and it is here where most of our information about the conditions of this road are gathered. 
Instances of northern settlement can be observed as early as the 1820’s. A mail route between the military posts at Green Bay and Chicago, over which a carrier passed once a month, was in use as early as 1825. The earliest descriptions of travel over the road, known as Green Bay Trail, are from the narratives of the mail carriers who, before the coming of the settlers, traversed the wilderness between Fort Howard in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Fort Dearborn in Chicago. John H. Fonda, with his French Canadian companion, Boiseley, “ran the mail” between these two forts in the winter of 1826. 
According to a book called Chicago’s Highway: Old and New, Fonda was garbed in a smoke-tanned buckskin hunting shirt, trimmed leggings of the same material, a wolf-skin chapeau with the animal’s tail still attached, and moccasins of elk-hide. He carried a heavenly mountaineer’s rifle with shortened barrel and a strap attached so that it could be slung over his back. A powder horn hung by a strap from his shoulder, while a belt around his waist held a sheath knife and a pair of pistols, in addition to a short-handled axe. Attached to the belt, also, was a pouch of mink-skin in which he carried his rifle bullets. Boiseley was dressed similarly and he had with him a long Indian gun and always carried in his belt a large knife, pistol, and hatchet. Like most of the voyagers he was superstitious, and tied to his horn were several charms which were supposed to possess some mysterious power to preserve the wearer from harm. The most important item of the outfit, however, was the receptacle which contained the mail-a-flat tin box or canister, covered with untanned deer hide. At this time the mail was carried by messenger on foot. Later, stage coach companies competed for business to deliver the mail as well as to transport passengers. For Fonda and Boiseley however, the round trip of nearly 500 miles on foot usually consumed a month, and since the region traversed was an utter wilderness the men were forced to rely entirely upon their own resources. If for any reason the carrier was delayed beyond the expected time, the presumption was that he had been detained by Indians or fallen a victim to starvation. 
illustration - Chicago’s Highway: Old and New
Leaving Green Bay on foot, laden with arms, blankets, and provisions, as well as the mail, the two men traveled the two hundred and fifty miles following the Indian trail leading to Green Bay southeast, passing through dense woods of pine interspersed with cedar swamps and the occasional grove of red oak. Encounters with all kinds of animal life supplied them with food as well a little danger such as the occasional encounter with a wildcat. It can be assumed that given the proximity to the lake of what later became Edgewater, this portion of the area traversed by these two men was primarily prairie land with sand dunes, tall grass, and little in the way of trees except along the river banks. While an abundance of wildlife provided nourishment for the long journey, the real hazards of such a trip were those of the hardships and exposure of wilderness travel. A Canadian half-breed who had frozen his feet while carrying the mail from Green Bay to Chicago became the subject of the first capital surgical operation on record to be performed at Chicago. The incident took place in 1832 and the surgery was conducted by Dr. Elijah Harmon, who has been denominated the “Father of Medicine” in Chicago. The procedure consisted of tying up the man, applying a tourniquet to each lower extremity, and with the aid of rusty instruments, removing one entire foot and a large portion of the other. 
Though Indians during this time period were generally peaceful, they were liable to avenge upon travelers for harm done to them by some other European, creating another problem for the mail carriers. 
Improvements in the road by the military, though slow, made travel on Green Bay Road much easier. 
Improvements made for Military Use
illustration - Chicago’s Highway: Old and New
The process of transforming the Green Bay trail into a highway able to accommodate the needs of the European settlers was begun by the federal government. A logical complement to the establishment of garrisons at Chicago, Green Bay, Portage, and Prairie du Chien was the construction of roads to make possible the free movement of troops between points. The first military road in Wisconsin was designed to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Winnebago at the Fox-Wisconsin Portage. In 1830, Congress appropriated funds of $2,000 for the purpose of improving this road. However, the work of surveying the area did not begin until October, 1832. The road as surveyed ran up the south side of the Fox and along the east side of Lake Winnebago, the route being identical as far as Fond du Lac with the Indian trail to Milwaukee. The work of improvement chiefly consisted of cutting a narrow track through the forest. Captain Martin Scott had the oversight of the twelve-mile section east of Lake Winnebago. He cut the road straight as an arrow for the entire distance, and this section was long known as “Scott’s straight cut”. 
The road from Chicago to Green Bay dates its beginning from an act of Congress approved June 15, 1832, for the establishment of a post road between these points. A report made to the Secretary of War in October, 1833, states that the funds appropriated had been applied to the purpose intended, while a later report indicates that the survey was completed the following year. Andrea’s History of Chicago states that stakes were driven and blazed along the line, and that as far as Milwaukee the road was “somewhat improved” by cutting out the trees to the width of two rods (33 feet) and laying puncheon and log bridges over the impassable streams. Yet one person who traveled the road in the spring of 1835 relates that from Waukegan to Milwaukee the road was still a primitive Indian trail. Present day single lane roads are thirty-three feet wide and a double lane road measures sixty-six feet wide. With parking not an issue during this time period the thirty-three foot road would have been sufficient for the passage of two truck farming carts or the ability for one to turn around. By 1832, when improvements began on Green Bay Road, farming settlement had already begun in the area covered in this thesis. 
Sometime in the mid-1820’s, a man named John K. Clark, generally known as “Indian Clark,” built a cabin some distance up on the North Branch, at Northfield, a few miles west of where Winnetka now stands, and devoted himself to hunting and horse trading. Archibald Clybourn had a farm and slaughtering establishment about four miles up the North Branch, near the spot now known as Clybourn Junction, and furnished vegetables and meat to the military post at Fort Dearborn. Clybourn’s farm for a long time was the limit of settlement to the north. “Indian Clark” was a half brother of Archibald Clybourn. The name Green Bay Road at a later date changed to Clark Street but is not named after the early settler John K. Clark. It was named after General George Rogers Clark (1752-1818) a revolutionary war hero who captured much of the Northwestern territory including the present state of Illinois from the British. However, Clybourn Street is named after John Clark’s half brother Archibald Clybourn. 
In the 1840’s and 1850’s, traveling on Green Bay Road became more frequent as Europeans immigrating from countries such as Luxembourg and Germany were attracted to the northern area’s good farming soil. Here they could own and cultivate far more land than could ever be possible in their home countries. A few of them settled in the area that is now Edgewater, and as a result Green Bay Road became a truck farming route that led into the South Water Market area of Chicago in near the central city. Green Bay Road at this time was being called a road rather than a trail. As were the majority of the road at this time, Green Bay was still a dirt road. However, travel became easier as Chicago began implementing plank roads.
 Transport by Rail
The Gripman - Chicago Cable Cars, Harper’s Weekly 1893 via Calumet 412
Chicago at one time did claim to have the largest streetcar system in the world, with a fleet of over 3,200 passenger cars and over 1,000 miles of track – a claim backed up in several sources we found. It all started in 1859 with a horse-drawn car running along a single rail track down State Street. By the 1880s, a handful of different streetcar companies were in operation across the city. Gradually, the horse-drawn lines were replaced with cable cars – so called because they hooked to a constantly moving cable underneath the street. Electric streetcars powered by an overhead trolley line gradually replaced the cable cars.
According to WBEZ, 'a Chicago streetcar was a two-man operation — “man” is appropriate here, since CSL crews were all male. The motorman was the driver. He operated from a standing position at the front of the car. Since his vehicle was on tracks, he didn’t have to worry about steering.
Fares were collected by the conductor. Passengers entered at the rear doors, paid the conductor, and passed into the car. When everyone was aboard, the conductor signaled the motorman by clanging a bell, and off they’d go. Exit doors were in the front. Car stops were indicated by a white band painted around the black pole that supported the trolley wire. Passengers waited on the curb, then walked into the street to board the car when it stopped. Wide streets, like Western Avenue, had safety islands located in the street next to the track.' In 1914, the streetcar companies unified under a new name: Chicago Surface Lines. A nickel would get you a ride to just about anywhere in the city. The advent of affordable automobiles in the 1920's caused streetcar ridership to decline – but streetcar operators weren’t going to just give up. In 1929 they formed the Presidents’ Conference Committee, or PCC, which determined that the way to stop the decline in ridership was to make streetcars as fast, smooth, convenient and comfortable as the family car.
Chicago was chosen as the 'guinea pig' city to test two experimental designs. The winning design became known as the PCC car and was used in cities all over the country. Chicago ordered 600 of them in 1945 and 1946. Here they were nicknamed Green Hornet streetcars because of their speed and the Chicago Surface Lines’ green paint job.
At almost the same time the Chicago Surface Lines and the ‘L’ were consolidated as the CTA – and the CTA’s general manager Walter McCarter wasn’t a fan of streetcars and their unsightly web of overhead wires. He oversaw phasing out streetcars in favor of buses starting in 1947, just a year after the Green Hornets went into service. The last Chicago streetcar click-clacked down Vincennes Avenue on June 21, 1958. There are still lasting vestiges of the streetcar system in Chicago. Many of today’s CTA bus routes and route numbers are the same as they were in the days of streetcars. And as for the tracks – a few of the streets had the tracks pulled up, but most were covered with asphalt and are still in the streets under pavement.
Robber Baron of the Rails
'After Yerkes came to Chicago, it was not long before the street railways caught his eye in his search for profit-making ventures. The low price of the North Chicago City Railway's stock and its room for expansion and modernization drew Yerkes's eye and he and his business partners, Peter A. B. Widener and William C. Elkins, chose it as their first acquisition in 1886.' Read more from the link above.
... and his railway (private) companies
Transportation license for a horse
Forgotten Chicago-Facebook contributor Chris Mason
Transportation routes 
that included Green Bay Road (Clark Street) - 1850
North/Central Old Lake View Transportation Tale
by Edgewater History Society
Linking the ground with the elevated
 










As of 1861 rail tracks for public transportation - streetcars were planned along Green Bay Road (Clark Street) and Evanston (Broadway) Avenue. The residents along Evanston Avenue would have a hate/love relationship with new technology of its day. The residents loved their horses and did not like private companies telling them what they needed.
image - Chicago Transit by David Young
The Evanston Avenue Transport
A steam engine called the 'dummy' train was used along Evanston Road (Broadway Avenue) from Fullerton Avenue to Graceland Cemetery during 1870's. The first car of this steamed powered train was designed for the engine. The engine was enclosed so that it would look like a passenger car, hence the name 'dummy'. The story goes that if the horses saw the engine they would get spooked.
As a reminder the City of Lake View was annex to the City of Chicago in 1889. This new annexed area was a power-house of sorts in city politics at the time.
Evanston Avenue Residents say NO


A Minority Opinion in 1893
 Bees & Commuters 1893
 

Citizens Organized in 1893
Protests in 1894
Major railroad & cable routes 1895
 a zoomed view of the north side
 New service proposed along Evanston Avenue 
to Evanston Township 
Evanston=Broadway Avenue
Graceland=Irving Park Road
Jefferson=Lawrence Avenue
Church=Devon Avenue
A Gap in Service along Evanston Avenue 1895
Electric Trolley Wins Out by 1897

Map indicating public transportation routes - 1893
Read more about the rail transportation system 
In this period of time both the some ground and all elevated tracks were owned the Northwestern Railroad Company.
The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul RR
known as the Evanston branch in Lake View
 Addison (surface) Rail Station
  Addison Station - zoomed
 Belmont (surface) Station - lower left
 Belmont Station - lower left zoomed
 Edgewater (surface) Station 
and zoomed
The Two Ends of Old Lake View:
by Car Barns
Car barns would be basically garages where mass transit vehicles would be housed and maintained. The most notable barns were 'The Limits' and Devon Avenue Carbarn. According to ChicagoRailFan.com the 'Limits' was coined the barn was near the border separating the City of Chicago with the City of Lake View along Clark Street. The northern border of the township/city of Lake View was Devon Avenue.
'The Limits'
2660-2684 N. Clark Street

photo - John Keating via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
1990's photo - Chicago Rail Fan.com
and below - unknown source
CTA's Heritage Fleet that operated during the 1960's & 70's
and were some further north ....
'Devon Avenue Garage'
Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger

Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon-Broadway car-barn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon-Broadway carbarn and turn-around with enlargement
photo - thetrolleydodger
Devon Street Car-House(barn)
mid 1950's photo - TheTrolleyDodger.com
Devon Street was the northern border of the former City of Lake View with its construction in 1901. According to the Rogers West Park Ridge Historical Society the property occupied two complete blocks along Clark Street. The building was closed in 1957 due to the transfer of electrical streetcars to gas powered buses.
Evanston Avenue and Ardmore carbarn with enlargement
photo - Trolley Dodger
The other notable barn of its time was located in the then community of and now neighborhood of Edgewater, According to the Edgewater History Society this barn was and still is located at 5837-5845 Broadway Avenue formerly known as Evanston Avenue as of 1916. 
1894 Sanborn Fire Map highlights a car-barn complex owned by North Chicago Street Railroad Company.
 For those railroad buffs a pdf handbook on the company.
red dots indicated car-barns 
from one location to another 
The Belmont route ranged from Belmont & Halsted to Belmont & Central.  The Broadway route ranged from Devon & Clark to State & Polk. The Halsted route had several connections but for the north-side the route range was from Waveland & Broadway to Halsted & 79th Street. The Irving Park route ranged from Irving & Broadway to Irving & Neenah. The Lincoln Avenue route had several connections but for the north-side the route ranged from Ravenswood & Rosehill to Dearborn & Polk. The Southport route ranged from Clark & Southport to Polk & Dearborn.
image - Chuckman Collection
This poster shows all the elevated companies 
of this time period - all were privately owned

 1913 pamphlet
1914
photo - Wikipedia
Can you pick the stations that no longer exist today? 
Growth, Issues, Progress
 a 1924 transit ticket - Ebay
Chicago's population continued grew from the annexation of a number of townships that included City and former township of Lake View; reaching 1 million by 1890. The several street railway company executives began looking for more efficient ways to carry the growing number of commuters. The use of small steam locomotives called “dummies” to pull streetcars was not as successful, but after 1882 many horse-car lines and dummy trains were successfully converted to cable powered streetcars, and after 1890 to electric trolley cars. Increased traffic congestion in downtown Chicago in 1892 led to the construction of the city's first elevated railways but not before 'The Battle of Lake View' (P.47) was resolved in 1890. That so called public opinion and legal battle began on Southport Avenue near Clark Street twenty years earlier in 1874. 
By 1924 the Chicago "L" system was a unification of lines built and formerly operated by competing private companies, although the operations of the previous companies were maintained as divisions of the united systematic unit. In 1947, the system went public and underwent many changes before taking on its present form now currently as the Chicago Transit Authority - CTA.
 Animal power to motor power in the 
Township of Lake View 1866
The Timeline of Public Transport
1893  The NorthWestern Elevated Railroad Company is incorporated. The entire rail system (surface and elevated) operated until 1995. This was the main Midwestern rail connection for the Township/City of Lake View from Chicago to other locations north of the main station. 
1895 The Chicago Tribune article-commentary below tells a tale about the older transportation structure of Evanston (Broadway) and the newer transport system along Halsted Street. (click to enlarge article below)

1890's Read about the twist and turns of the elevated 
provided by WBEZ along with an interesting fact about the Sheridan Station (interactive site) elevated route curve.
1896 The first steel of the 'L' structure outside the loop is erected at Fullerton and Sheffield Avenues. 
This website tells a tale about the issues and corruption of the private and public transportation systems and the private companies in Chicago that owned them, in particular a 'robber baron' named Charles Tyson Yerkes (section 4) who used his privately owned surface rail system in Chicago on Clark Street to reach his pet project - Ferris Wheel Park. 
On Willow Street apparently looking towards 
Clybourn Avenue 1897
1897  The structure stretches from Dayton Avenue (near the intersection of Halsted Street and North Avenue) to Buena Avenue. Work is suspended due to financial problems. Another extension is granted, pushing to deadline to January 1, 1899. Also, 1897 the residents of the new District of Lake View protested against a Yerkes land grab.
(click to enlarge the article)
1899  Most of the surface rails between Halsted Street and Montrose Avenue are in place.

1900  A train leaves Wilson Avenue in defiance of a commissioner's order. Four policemen board at Wrightwood Avenue and placed the crew under arrest.
Forgotten Chicago on Facebook, David Daruszka contributor
Before the Wilson Elevated Station there was the 
Sheridan Park Station
1900ish
1904 - The Northwestern Elevated and the Chicago
with the Sheridan Depot on the right of photo
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway reach an agreement allowed rapid transit to route to Evanston Township, via the St. Paul's tracks (the elevated & surface railway met at Wilson Avenue & Evanston Avenue - Broadway). Privately held franchise problems stalled on an official agreement for another three years. The photos above show Sheridan Park Depot located near Wilson Avenue and Evanston (Broadway) Avenue before the elevated was constructed to be later shared with a much larger space with newer Wilson Station
1910 photo - JJ Sedelmair 
farm country on Evanston & Wilson Avenues 
photo - Uptown Update via Calumet412
The guts of the Wilson Station Station before the elevated 1900-ish from Evanston (Broadway) Avenue
photo - Daily News Archives
Lower Wilson Station before the elevated 
- Chuckman Collection
The lower Wilson Avenue station. This was once the terminal before the “L” was extended north. This station opened on March 5, 1907. The intent was to alleviate crowding at the upper Wilson station, already in use. Lower Wilson closed on August 1, 1949, early in the CTA era. - TrolleyDodger.com
Sidenote: View the new development as of 2013 of the Wilson Yards Station via Facebook
construction phase of the Yards over the ground rails
 photo - Uptown Update via Calumet412
Ground Surface & Elevated Rail Map
1902 zoomed image - Alabama University
the singular black line indicates the Chicago-Evanston branch of the Northwestern Railroad - south-to-north 
- the only mode of rail transport at this time.
The Evanston Branch of the 
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul RR
Sanborn Fire sectional Maps 1909


The RR routes southwestward





Ground vs Elevated in 1912
1912 zoomed image - Alabama University
the two white/black lines indicate rail service  
one elevated and one ground - both property of the Northwestern Rail Company. Freight would use the ground service while the commuters used the elevated.
A Chicagoland View in 1914
image - Alabama University
1914 view of the rail system of Chicago area
with a zoomed view below

image - Alabama University 
1914 legend for the above map
image - Alabama University
1914 legend for the above map
Chicago-Northwestern stop at Lawrence
1952 photo - Russell Woelffer, Chicago Public Library 
via Explore Chicago Collection
1900 The North Western Company Elevated after several financial mishaps reopens for service. The stations, north from the Loop, include Halsted, Center (later Armitage), Webster, Fullerton, Wrightwood, Diversey, Wellington, Belmont, Clark, Addison, Grace, Sheridan, Buena Park & Wilson. Stations at Willow and Oak would be added later. The four track structure included express & local trains, with express trains stopping only at Wilson, Sheridan, Belmont, Fullerton, Halsted, Sedgwick, Kinzie and the Loop stations. 
Working along Newport and Racine Streets along the Ravenswood Elevated (Brownline)
Daily News Archives - 1906
1903  A franchise is presented to the city counsel to build an extension of the North Western's tracks to serve the Ravenswood community.
  An Account from The Evanston Historical Society:
'St. Paul Railroad (ground transport) and the Northwestern Elevated finally signed an agreement that permitted the Northwestern to extend its service into Evanston over the tracks of the St. Paul, contingent on approvals by the City of Evanston and the City of Chicago. However, it wasn’t until 1907 that such approvals were given. In March, the City of Evanston gave its approval for electrification of the line. That approval was contingent on the tracks being elevated by the end of 1910. Stations were erected at all the former commuter stops on the St. Paul. In Chicago, they were (in south to north order): Argyle (Argyle Park), Edgewater (Bryn Mawr), North Edgewater (Granville), Rogers Park (Morse) and Birchwood (Jarvis). Stations were added at Hayes Avenue (later renamed Loyola) and Howard Avenue (later renamed Howard Street). Community agitation for stops to be added at Thorndale and Berwyn date to as early as 1911. A stop was added at Thorndale in 1915 and at Berwyn in 1916. The Lawrence stop was not added until February, 1923. Though Wilmette was only a short distance north of Central Street in Evanston, the new line was not extended to Linden Avenue until April, 1912, and, when it was, it was not with the blessing of Village authorities. Quite the contrary was the case. The Village sued to stop “L” service, but to no avail. The opening of the Evanston line necessitated extensive revisions of the schedule. 
by Chicago Architecture Center
The following summary of these changes appeared in the May 23, 1908, issue of the Street Railway Journal and is reproduced here thanks to the scholarship of Bruce Moffat:
“A complete rearrangement of the schedule of the entire line has been worked out to accommodate the extra trains which will run over the new extension. Through trains will leave the terminal at Central Street, Evanston, every 10 minutes from 6.a.m. until midnight, making all stops to Wilson Avenue. During the rush hours they will run express between Wilson Avenue and the Loop, but between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m. they will run local from Wilson to Belmont Avenue and then express to the Loop. Between every two Evanston trains one Wilson Avenue Express will be started during the non-rush hours, giving a five-minute service south of Wilson Avenue, and during rush hours two extra trains will run, giving a 3-1/3 minute service. The Wilson Avenue expresses will also run local north of Belmont Avenue during the non-rush hours. In addition to this express service Wilson Avenue local trains will be run at intervals from 4 to 5 minutes. Trains for the Ravenswood branch which now run express south of Belmont Avenue at all hours will run at 5-minute intervals as local trains during the non-rush hour and as express south of Belmont during the rush hours. This will give a 2-1/2 minute local service and a 5-minute express service during the non-rush hours south of Belmont Avenue and a 4 minute local and a 2-minute express service during the rush hours.
“The service on the Evanston extension will be started with two-car trains, adding and cutting off additional cars southbound and northbound respectively at Wilson Avenue. The running time between Central Street, Evanston, and Wilson Avenue will be 20 minutes, and from Wilson Avenue to the Loop 20 minutes, with 13 minutes on the Loop. The total time from Evanston to the Loop stations will average therefore about 45 minutes, as against 33 minutes by Chicago & North Western suburban trains, which land passengers, however, at Kinzie Street across the river.”
The schedule south of Wilson was undoubtedly a complicated one and was often revised over the first several years that followed the opening of the Evanston line.
Though the extension of the “L” was welcomed by commuters in the communities through which it passed, it didn’t take very long for complaints to be raised. The practice of cutting off cars at Wilson for north bound trains proved especially irritating. As early as June 2, less than three weeks after service began, a meeting was called to protest the practice of forcing patrons riding north of Wilson Avenue to give up their seats and “move to the car ahead” where there was standing room only. Edgewater architect J.E.O. Pridmore was one of those objecting and urging through service. There was also a report of an instance of several commuters refusing the order to move to the car ahead. It was a sit-in. This act of civil disobedience had its effect, for the practice was soon dropped as additional cars on order came into service.'
Kissing the Tracks in 1906
by Garry Albrecht
This story was published by the Ravenswood-Lake View Historical Association newsletter in 2018
First, some background. Public transportation in the 19th and early 20th centuries were not owned and operated by local municipalities but by privately owned companies. One such company was the Northwestern Elevated Railroad. This company was granted a fifty-year lease to build and operated transportation rails and stations for the citizens of Chicago in 1893. The first elevated structure was laid at Fullerton and Sheffield avenues in 1896. The construction and operation of the elevated had a rocky start according to ‘Chicago L. org’.  In the winter month of January 1900, the Chicago Public Works claimed the structure unsound and the company to end operations. After some apparent negotiations the Northwestern Elevated Company was allowed to begin operations again in May of the same year. 
image – Chicago L. org
The stations along the elevated tracks that year north of ‘2400 north’ included the Fullerton, Wrightwood, Diversey, Wellington, Belmont, Clark, Addison, Grace, Sheridan, Buena Park and Wilson stations.  The City of Chicago approved the Ravenswood line in 1905 and then was extended to Kimball by 1907. By 1908 the elevated reached Howard Street.  In 1911 the first (voluntary) consolidation of all privately-owned elevated companies began. By 1947, the Chicago Transportation Authority (CTA), as we know it, was established.
Typically any company’s financial bottom line is to operate for a profit – the more profits the better while keeping expenses at an operational and acceptable minimum. Companies like the Northwestern Elevated Railroad used city owned alleyways granted to it to reduce costs. If private property got in the way of the elevated the municipalities would allow some latitude on the subject called the ‘right of way’.  
The Arlene Nybakken Chase Story
So, was the case with the property and buildings owned by Nels Anderson, grandfather of Arlene Nybakken Chase, located at 1412 Noble or 946 W Barry Avenue as of 1906.
Mr. Anderson owned a city lot that would have two houses on it prior to 1906; one in front of the other. One of these houses apparently caused problems for the newly constructed elevated. Mr. Anderson received a letter from the Northwestern Elevated Railroad Company on February 1906 to ‘surrender’ part of his property (building shingles) and other attributes of his property with the building address of 1414 Noble, the building located in front of his family home at 1412 Noble Avenue.
The entire letter below
The photo below shows Mr. Anderson’s sidewalk entrance to his home at 1412 and the house in front of it at 1414. Looking closely the viewer will notice the house in front at 1414 is situated a few yards east of 1412 due to the sidewalk entrance to his home at 1412 Noble or 946 Barry Avenue hence 1414 was built more toward the newly constructed elevated. The 1414 Noble house was the building the Northwestern folks at an issue with – pieces of it obstructed the proper use of the elevate; an apparent safety issue. 
1412 Noble or 946 Barry Avenue
a closer view of the entrance to the house in the back
All photos from Arlene Nybakken Chase

Arlene mentioned that "My father built the archway leading to our house at 946. That long gangway was scary at night, so dark. Dad would send me for the Sunday Tribune which came out on Saturday night, and maybe a bottle of ginger ale from 'the corner store' and he would promise to stand on the porch 'til I returned. Sometimes he'd go inside for a minute and if he wasn't there, I was terrified. Many bad characters hanging around that area at that time. I saw more than one "flasher" hanging around under the El tracks. Momma said, "Just run away!""
The 1894 & 1923 Sanborn Fire Maps below will assist 
in the location of the two buildings and future 
and present locations of the elevated 
– Redline formerly called the Howard Line.
 the above image is from a 1894 Sanborn Fire Map 
six years before the elevated was constructed 
while the image below dates 1923
The blueprint for the necessary adjustments that was enclosed with the letter
a view east toward the elevated 
Arlene, the granddaughter of Nels Anderson indicated the sign in the photo above would make her feel hungry when viewed out one of the bedroom windows. The below photo is the entire family hanging out on the porch of their ‘home in back’ – three generations. Apparently, all generations learned to sleep soundly next the periodical noises of the El until 1947 when the family moved from Lake View.
All the images minus the edited Sanborn Maps are photos and artifacts that are owned by Arlene Nybakken Chase. I found her story online and she offered the rest of her to story to me for this newsletter. She indicated that all the photos in this story may been lost forever if not for her grandmother who retrieved them from a ‘trash can’ episodic error. 
relatives yards west of tracks with stairs to the front house
1907  To relieve congestion, a new "lower Wilson Avenue" station and a loop track was built and put into service, with express trains routed to itAlso, that year Ravenswood
service is inaugurated at Western Avenue.
1908  Howard Avenue station finally opens, late due to construction delays. Also that year, the construction of an elevated embankment begins in Evanston.
 1913 brochure image - Print Mag
1914  The Chicago City Railway, Chicago Railways Company, Southern Street Railway, and Calumet and South Railway merged to form Chicago Surface Lines - an operationally united but privately owned rail system.
1915 part of a brochure
photo - Print Mag
(1900-1960) photo - Chicago L .com
1916  Trains on the Lawrence-Howard stretch were moved onto a temporary wooden trestle, allowing the demolition of the original tracks and stations. Construction of the permanent embankment were slowed due to manpower and material shortages caused by World War I.
1922  The new elevated four track main line between Lawrence and Howard were completed. 
1923  The new station at Lawrence Avenue opened. 
Later in the year, a newer and larger station was constructed at Wilson and the original terminal yard is demolished.
Chicago Rapid Transit Company
1924  Samuel Insull, a utility magnate who took an interest in public transportation and a visionary, realized that for the sake of the ‘L's continued longevity, it would have to be completely consolidated by publicly held entity, with all the companies officially merging into one. At that time their were four  independently owned and operated ‘L’ lines of which the North Western ground rail system was of one. The Chicago Rapid Transit Company accomplished this and under the CRT, the 'L' service was funded by State of Illinois.
indychauffuer via YouTube
Tickets,Tokens & Brochures
A ticket 1916 via Chuckman Collection

 Chicago Rapid Transit weekly pass via Ebay
The History of Tokens
by WBEZ
along with a graphic demonstration by WBEZ
Chicago Rapid Transit token

images - Ebay
CTA token - Ebay
The paper transfers

samples of paper transfers 

Surface Line safety certification 1932 & 1937
Forgotten Chicago - Facebook contributor Chuck Edmonson
1938 Railway System Map
The peak of rail track mileage
A Rapid Transit 1937 poster
1940 schedule pamphlet via Ebay
The Man who Saved the Elevated

‘Mirroring the country as a whole, the various companies that made up the Chicago "L" coasted through the 1920's on the misguided belief that the good years would never end. It was a time of unbridled prosperity & optimism for America of which the Chicago transit companies proudly demonstrated in their capital improvements during this time. Although ridership was the highest it would ever be, it was utilities of magnate Samuel Insull's vast & profitable network of companies that helped offset the usually unprofitable of the "L", financing new construction, upgraded equipment, & infrastructure improvements. Without Insull's immediate capital improvements it is unlikely that the Chicago "L" & interurbans would have survived the Great Depression. Insull's generous civic spirit & love for the Chicago area  seemed to motivate this desire to acquire & improve these electric lines as much as the bottom line profit. But little did Insull know the reversal of fortune October 1929 would bring.’
 image - from a CTA 2018 calendar
1947  The Chicago Transit Authority begins operating Chicago's rapid transit trains after purchasing the privately owned Chicago Rapid Transit Company for $12 million. 
1954  delivery of new cars to replace the older fleets
rolling out the signs in 1954
photo -  CTA web via TimeOut Chicago 
 
 
1950ish pamphlet - Ebay
The A/B System in 1970
 images - York M Chan via LakeView Historical-Facebook 
with a more local zoomed look below
 
1974 Marker
El stop markers light combinations 
Ray Piesciuk via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
1981  View the Ravenswood AB RouteThe footage begins at Belmont toward the Loop.
1994  The CTA officially changes the last of it's route names to color designations. The lines are now as follows: Red Line (Howard-Dan Ryan); Blue Line (O'Hare-Forest Park-54/Cermak); Orange Line (Midway); Brown Line (Ravenswood); Purple Line (Evanston); Green Line (Lake-Ashland/63-East 63rd); and Yellow Line (Skokie Swift).  
image - Ebay
Since 1949 til the mid 1990's L transport was divided between A & B stations. For example, the Addison B station would be bypassed by a A train so the A train could run express to its next A station.
1999  The CTA retires the token as the exchange for a ride accepting only Transit Cards and cash fares (on buses and in turnstiles) as payment.
2012  New Planning and Expansion projects for CTA tracks particularly the Redline. The solid bold red line indicated a slight realignment along the existing route.



2012  CTA may offer 'naming rights' to rail stations to corporations to enhance their budgets for construction.
2013  To ease the auto and rail congestion in the city's 
mid-section there are plans for the Ashland and Western rapid bus  that parallels the Redline station stops. The Ashland Rapid will route through Lake View.
2016  A rail that will connect the Metra with the elevated line.
the overpass north from Belmont Station
a video view
The Old Clark Street Junction will be Gone!
 2016 view from Google Earth of what 
remains of the old station platform
 a 1950 Sanborn Fire Map view 
of the unused Clark Street Station
with a zoomed view below
 This was once a part of a regular (control) station platform 
during the first half the 20th century
 photo - Curbed Chicago
2016 Google Map view from street level


above photo - Chicago L. org
below  2002 photo - Chicago Tribune 
 CTA images above
The CTA announced in April plans to construct an additional track at the Belmont station, which connects Brown, Red and Purple lines. This plan would demolish at least 16 buildings so to make this project happen. The $320 million project, which would be funded with federal grants, could alleviate delays. In November election 2014 the voters in the 
effect precincts will vote on the project. Listen and view about this project via Chicago Tonight. The opposition has a Facebook presence but Streetsblog mentions the opposition is vocal but not the majority on this issue. In January 2017 weeks before a new federal administration was sworn-in the CTA received their funding for all the CTA planned projects that included this controversy one.
2017 Google Earth of the area affected 
 2017 Google Earth of the area affected 
just north of Belmont Station
2017 Google Earth of the area affected
towards the old Clark Junction 
A new federal administration had different priorities
The 2016 presidential election created a time sensitive happenstance. A future Republican administration would probably not fund this infrastructure project so the race was on to grant the new funding before January 21st to the CTA.
The funding includes the following:
According to the CTA the first phase of RPM will rebuild the Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn and Bryn Mawr rail stations and more than a mile of adjacent tracks and track structure. It will also construct a Red-Purple bypass to improve service that will benefit the entire Red Line by improving reliability & increasing capacity so that more trains can be added to alleviate chronic overcrowding during peak travel times.
all images from CTA
A Belmont Plaza?
'Based on an informal review of responses from the Lake View meeting, neighbors gravitated toward a few specific concepts: adding affordable and diverse housing, retaining historical buildings and creating pedestrian friendly streetscapes with traditional architecture and small businesses. Neighbors wrote that a plaza on Belmont Avenue would "serve as [the] heart of Belmont strip" and become a gathering place for events like farmers markets or the Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival. One possible area for such development is the patch of gravel to the east of the Belmont "L" station, left abandoned and poorly maintained, neighbors have said over the years.' - DNAinfo
The 16 dark green properties include buildings that will be displaced according to the CTA.
both CTA images

photos - DNAinfo
DNAinfo reports that the several year project includes plans to rebuild the 100-year-old embankment that supports the track between Lawrence and Bryn Mawr avenues, making it possible for six to eight more trains per hour to travel from Howard to 95th streets on the Red Line. There is no date set for the bypass as of mid 2017. The overall project includes plans to rebuild the 100-year-old embankment that supports the track between Lawrence and Bryn Mawr avenues, making it possible for six to eight more trains per hour to travel from Howard to 95th streets on the Red Line. 
The Demolition Begins in 2018

Buildings for Demolition
Some of the buildings that will be demolished according to the CTA via Curb Chicago-Lake View along with a complete list of demos for this project. View the latest video renditions of the planned realignment north of Belmont Station. Below is a CTA map of the buildings to be removed in 2018. 
 from the CTA via Triangle Neighborhoods Association
Demolition Along Clark Street
photos from Google Maps
a video of the demo to this building on March 30th 2018 
by Sam Prus via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Demolition Along Wilton Avenue
photos from Google Maps
And On Newport Avenue
this building was saved and removed
photos from Google Maps 
Naked Landscape in 2018
This will be the Google Map scene for awhile until the 
elevated construction begins:
 northeast view from Roscoe/Clark
 southwest view from Roscoe/Clark Street
and south of the tracks along Clark
A BRT Along Ashland Avenue??
2013 Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) idea for Ashland Avenue was approved that year for an express bus from 95th through LakeView ending at Irving Park Road. Check out the conversion on Facebook. Read more about the plans via Chi.Streets.Blog.
Can the Streetcars come back? 
maybe ... along Clark Street

Until the 1950's Chicago had the biggest streetcar system the world had ever seen, John Krause the architect who founded the movement called Chicago Streetcar Renaissance explains that virtually every major street had an electric streetcar line. But in the postwar era diesel buses and private cars replaced the trams and soon the roads became snarled with traffic. Nowadays Chicago is ranked as one of the most congested cities in the country, with the cost of time wasted in traffic estimated at $7.3 billion a year. 
2014  Take a ride on the Redline from Howard to 95th and then take a ride on the Brownline from Kimball to the Loop.
The Evolution of the Wilson Station
2015 The Wilson Station began a renovation to become the super hub once again for transport for the north side. I have devoted a lot of space on the Wilson Station due to its importance to the Howard (Red) Evanston (Purple) and the former North Shore Line that took folks to Milwaukee. 
View a pictorial timeline of images of this station below: 
1900ish - Chicago L.org
image - J.J. Sedelmaier via Uptown Update 
the first building
vs the second building in 1921
postcard - Ebay
 Ron Tamulis, Living History of Illinois & Chicago - 1899 
Its focus was the transfer of commuters to and from the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Wisconsin
1929 photo via Uptown Update
the elevated in the background was used for freight trains only according to Uptown Update-Facebook
photo via Uptown Update
 Don Andrade via Chicago L-Facebook 1950's?
Curt Seeliger via Chicago L-Facebook 
notice the freight trains 

Lou Gerad via Chicago L-Facebook
apparently the former freight train only tracks were used for the Evanston line?
control tower in 1997 - Lou Gerad via Chicago L-Facebook
1980 photo - Ebay
via Brian Weber, Original Chicago-Facebook
2015  CTA ridership was way up last year! The number of rides provided on CTA’s rail system rose to 238.1 million in 2014, the highest level for rail ridership since the agency began tracking ridership in 1961. View some photography trip from Wilson to Belmont in 1972 - a JJ Sedelmaier album.
a map of the renovation - CTA
the lost look before renovation

2015 Deconstruction Photos
by Broadway and Leland
photos by Jim Huffman, Chicago L on Facebook
Reconstruction Photos
new tracks are laid  photo - Uptown Update
2015 photo - CTA
2016 photo - CTA
2016 photo - CTA
March 2016 - Chi.Streetsblog
Protecting the Center Piece
2017 photo - J.J. Sedelmaier Productions
photo - Robert Constant via Original Chicago-Facebook
2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook

2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook

 2017 photo - Kelly McFadden 
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
below photo - Uptown Update
taking shape
both 2017 photos - Uptown Update-Facebook
it's back from renovation holiday!
2018 photo via Alan Fischer, Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
below photo by Karen Miles via Uptown Update
a 2017 aerial view of the new station
from Uptown Update-Facebook
CTA Projects Summary 2015
A Redline construction chart 
New Federal Administration
with maybe new rules
'The cuts could hinder the RTA’s ability to raise the $12 billion in capital it requires over the next 10 years for the Metra network of commuter trains. In a controversial move, the bill would also privatize the nation’s air traffic control network. Meanwhile, federal highway funding would not be affected.'
TOD - Hugging the L Tracks
Transit-oriented development (TOD) is anchored by some form of public transportation, typically a train line. It has been widely accepted as an important planning paradigm to create attractive, livable and sustainable urban environments. The purpose of TOD is to concentrate housing and commercial development close to existing (or occasionally, extended) transit infrastructure, thereby providing an alternative to automobile trips. Most TOD development radiates roughly a half mile – or less than 10 minutes walking distance – from its anchoring rail station - CMAP . The developments in 2015 according to Curbed Chicago are the following:
with more news from DNAinfo and Streetsblog
located one block east of the Redline entrance

more news from 47th ward office and TimeOut Chicago
Other Types of Transport
The bike and Car
Local History of the Horseless Carriage
But let us not forget about the other form of transportation that arose in the late 19th century. In the early days these mechanized vehicles were still associated with cycling due to its construction and use of the wheel. Automobiles became vogue due to the exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 - the prototype Morrison electric and a gasoline-powered car from Germany was presented to the world.
(enlarge image to view)
Route of the Chicago Automobile Race 1895
The ‘horseless carriages’ didn't receive much notoriety until the Chicago Times-Herald offered $5,000 in prizes to the winner of a round-trip race between Chicago (through the District of Lake View) and Evanston  - two years later. The race attracted considerable attention because only two cars were able to finish despite the fact that a snow storm had deposited a foot of snow on the Chicago area two days earlier. The article below helps tell the story.
(enlarge image to view)

page 2

page 3

A Local Makes his Own
  Mr. Pitkins lived in the East Ravenswood community of Lake View. The back of the image above was signed by the daughter of grand-dad of Lake View Township, Conrad Sulzer. According the publication Hidden History of Ravenswood & Lake View by Patrick Butler there was another resident of the District of Lake View who shared Mr. Pitkins adventures. There was William Adams, a Roscoe Street resident, who tested his invented contraption along the only paved roads - Marshfield Avenue between Lincoln and Addison. He apparently  "dropped out of sight forever" sometime in 1902. Two years later a Chicago based company called Rand McNally would produce the first vehicle map for the driving public.
"In 1904, Rand McNally produced what is generally agreed to be the first road map intended for the ''automobilist,'' adapted from bicycling maps." The earliest motorists navigated by using bicycle touring maps that were drawn up by organizations like the League of American Wheelmen. ''The same roads that would have been suitable for bicyclists were also suitable for automobiles because they were almost as fragile,'' said James Akerman, a pre-eminent road map historian and the director of the Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library. ''The first cars were a lot like bicycling mechanisms with a motor on them.'' To make navigating easier on a road system where signs were almost nonexistent, Rand McNally came up with a ''photo-auto guide'' in 1907. The guides were a series of photographs of intersections or landmarks like a big tree or a barn, with text along the lines of ''turn left here.'' The first one was put together by Andrew McNally II, the founder's grandson, and shows the route he took on his honeymoon from Chicago to Milwaukee.' 
'First Came the Car. Then the Wrong Turn'  Voila: The Map.
Newman, AndyNew York Times, Late Edition (East Coast) [New York, N.Y] 11 Oct 2000
Read about the history of the 'wheeled vehicle'
A trailer used for garbage collection that apparently used horses - photo @ 1620 West Grace Street as of 1938
The Bicycle
Cycling began with only a few - hardy males in the 1870's but, within twenty years, Chicagoans of all ages and both sexes were indulging in a heady love affair with the bicycle. By the 1890s, the "wheel" had become a means of both recreation and transportation for almost everyone with enough balance to stay on and enough strength to push the pedals. The entire city, it seemed, was caught up in the cycling craze. In fact, for Chicago as well as the entire nation, the golden age of cycling begun. In 1895, the normally reserved New York Times ranked the discovery and development of the bicycle as "of more importance to mankind than all the victories and defeats of Napoleon," In April of that same year, a writer for Harper's Weekly estimated that four hundred thousand bicycles had been manufactured since the first of January and predicted that production would continue to soar in 1896.
 The Lake View Cycling Club had a clubhouse 
at 401-403 (2226 post address change) Orchard Street

The below jpeg is Stewart Reed Brown on his bicycle. Brown was a member of Lake View Cycling Club racing team and editor of the club’s magazine called 'Dash' 1890.

 Lake View's own Bike Club ... per this 1896 article
(click on article for a better view)

The Consolidation of both Clubs 1897

via Chicagology
with the most notable via this 1894 Sanborn Fire Map
 zoomed area below
extra zoomed - depicting a paint room & machine shop
BACK TO THE FUTURE
The future of cycling for the City of Chicago  2013
Bike Sharing for Chicago
NIMBY on Pine Grove 2013
Divy Bike Station on Pine Grove south of Addison Avenue 
The Divy Stations in Lake View are as follows:
Sheridan Red Line
Grace/Sheffield
Grace/Racine/Clark
Grace/Southport
Grace/Ashland
Waveland/Southport
Waveland/Halsted
Addison/Racine (tentative)
Addison Red Line
Southport Brown Line
Roscoe/Clark
Roscoe/Halsted
Stratford/Broadway
Aldine/Lake Shore Drive
School/Seminary
Belmont/Ashland/Lincoln
Belmont/Southport
Belmont/Racine
Belmont Red Line
Broadway/Belmont
Belmont/Lake Shore Drive
Halsted/Clark
Wellington Brown line
Wellington/Lake Shore
Diversey Brown Line
Diversey/Halsted
Diversey/Lake Shore
Clark/Broadway/Diversey
2015  Read on how Divy Bikes survived a winter - one of the coldest. View the an interactive map of all the latest bikes in our neighborhood with this link. In October DNAinfo reported the usage of the bikes in the city with this interactive map.
Also in 2015 the Lakeview Chamber of  Commerce established a bike district where by local business promote bike travel to their establishments. 
More Modern Public Transport
2016  First 'RPM' TIF for public transportation approved that includes building developments such as TOD's as well.
Read more about this innovative approach to mass transit via Chicago Cityscape including a interactive map of the 
'Red Purple Modernization Project' that includes Lake View.

‘The CTA says that the popular Red and Browns lines are constrained due to their use of the same infrastructure. So, to boost capacity along these systems, a physical separation may be in order at some point. However, expanding car capacity at the Kimball rail yard is a first step to easing congestion on the Brown Line.’ The new TOD housing plan for the city will for sure deplete capacity in a few years.
per StreetsBlog Chicago
images - StreetsBlog Chicago

This plan involves new stations beyond the most recent Wilson Station and Belmont Overpass renovations and projects. It involves new stations, tracks, and platforms north of Wilson Avenue using the land around the station location for TOD - Transit Orientated Developments. While TOD residential projects are still relatively new type of planning in urban settings like Chicago the collaboration with the CTA, developers, city administrators, and neighborhood association groups will be the norm for the future. Parking will be shared to save space for residential and commercial developments along the Red/Purple transit lines. 
Somethings never change
Chicago Tribune 2018 cartoon
via Michael Dannhauser per Chicago L-Facebook

Post Notes: 
An interesting Google-book read on cable cars of the past. Also, view recent and countless photographs of Chicago transportation. Also, read an article about the future plans for transportation in Chicago as well as an inactive map site called Transit Future.

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!
Post a Comment