June 01, 2011

Worship: Methodist & Episcopal

These Houses of Worship were either constructed in the the Township of Lake View (1857-87), 
the City of Lake View (1887-89), 
or the District of Lake View (1889-1930)
The Methodist Churches:
Broadway United Methodist Church
3338 N Broadway Street
originally called ....
a page from their 1926 directory - image Ebay
Original building 1901-1983
know before 1916 as 
Evanston Avenue Methodist Church
images - Ebay

 the building to right of his postcard is the current rectory
On a Monday, July 27, 1891, a committee made up of Charles Busby, Charles Lasher, Reverend Dolliver and A.D. Traveller, selected the church site on the corner of Evanston Avenue (now Broadway) and Buckingham Place. This site was purchased and the church building construction began. 
A sermon about crime in 1911
50 years in 1941
The original church was built of blue bedford stone with a red tile roof. The interior was finished in oak with a large truss ceiling and was completed in 1902. The sanctuary seated 450 congregants.The church staff ministered under the name Evanston Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church until 1914 when the name was changed to Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church in conjunction with the re-naming of several streets in Chicago. 
Serving the needy 1946
The Fire 1983
page - East Lake View by Matt Nickerson
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
 photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
In 1946 the congregation opened a counseling adviser clinic for members of the community. The clinic dealt with issues such as unemployment, pre-marital & marital issues according to a 1946 Chicago Tribune article. This type of activity in a 'house of worship' was a bit avangard for that time period. In February 1983, a fire gutted the church and most of the beautiful stained-glass windows were lost. By 1969 the denominations of Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren merged into one congregation.
The Original Building was Destroyed 1983
 the newer church
photo - Reminders End
1998 The pastor, Rev. Greg Dell, of this church conducted a same-sex marriage ceremony on church property - a violation of church policy at the time and more than a decade before it became legal in the United States.
Reverend Dell in his church
photo - Chicago Tribune
photo - Michael Greene via Associated Press
Rev. Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church protests outside the Broadway United Methodist Church Sunday, Nov. 22, 1998 in Chicago. Rev. Phelps and family members came to the church to protest a September marriage between two gay men officiated by Methodist Rev. Gregory Dell. 
In the year 2000 ACLU of Illinois Gay and Lesbian Rights Project's annual John R. Hammell Awards brunch honored Rev. Gregory Dell for performing a same-sex union ceremony. He was suspended from Broadway United Methodist Church for that act but won praise from this gay-friendly neighborhood. Ten years later, Rev. Dell was inducted into Chicago's Gay & Lesbian Hall of Fame Dell's ceremony sparked a change in national church policy
A church with "a wonderful history of being involved in and advocating for social justice movements" is now "ignoring the pain it causes" to a segment of society, he said in 2009.

a congregation with an apparent scene of humor 
 The home of 'gay' friendly homeless youth
also the home of a Catholic based organization
View countless photos of this congregation via Flickr.
And view the post about the community that this 'house of worship' services in my post called Community of Boystown.
(Facebook Album)
Diversey Blvd. Methodist Episcopal
and now in the Community of Lincoln Park
a merger of Diversey Street Congregations in 1925
 another merger of churches in 1963
the current occupant ...
Iglesia Cristiana Unida
(A United Christian Church)
before that ...
Holy Covenant United Methodist Church
and before that
Diversey Parkway Evangelical Church
926 W Diversey Parkway
once part of the District of Lake View
and now located in the Community of Lincoln Park

below text - church website 
Township of Lake View
photo - Chuckman Collection
1905 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
their baseball team in 1918
photo - Ebay
Ravenswood United Methodist Church
Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection, 
Chicago Public Library via Explore Chicago
4 photos below - Chicago Sojourn
Ravenswood Methodist Evangelist Church was established in 1879 in Lake View Township and known currently know as the Ravenswood Fellowship. The church was constructed the year the City of Lake View merged with the City of Chicago
 Elim Swedish Methodist Episcopal
District of Lake View
postcard - Chuckman Collection
photo - Ebay
This church was constructed in 1899 
(click on article to enlarge)
- now condos as of 2008 called The Steeples
The original church building was sold to a Nels Anderson and he moved the building to 946 Barry Avenue (1414 Noble -pre 1909 address) in 1898. Below is a photo of the church. The building remained a church after the move but under another name. The photo below is owned by Arlene Nybakken Chase. According to Arlene the building need to be slightly configured due to the construction of the elevated tracks next to it.
Centennial German Methodist Church
and later called...
Lakeside Japanese Christian Church of Chicago
at Sheffield and Wellington
image - Chicago: City of Neighborhoods
originally called the Centennial German Methodist Church
1923 Sanborn Fire Map (edited) highlights the 
Chicago & Evanston branch 
of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul rail tracks
After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that internment camps were illegal in 1943 Japanese Americans had to settle west of the Mississippi River. Many settled in Chicago due to a residence restriction - must live west of the Mississippi River . This church was one of a few churches for the Japanese community in Lake View. Read more about this congregation's evolution with this link.
Gross Park Methodist Episcopal Church
The church was located a block south of 
Gross Park on Otto Street
 above 1894 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
below 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
the area west of Paulina Street
image - Gross Park on Henderson-Facebook
this Sanborn Fire Map indicated the location of the Northwestern Company railroad station house and the Gross Park Hall 
as well as 'Gross Park' on Otto Street
Sheffield Ave. M.E. Church
Township of Lake View
image above - 1882 The Syllabus Vol 4 - X marks the spot
1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
with a zoomed view below
a zoomed view of the church in 1894
(pre 1909 addresses)
converted to manufacturing company building by 1923
with a post 1909 address of 1010 W George Street
into some radical ideas for that time
images below - Mental Gymnastics 1886
Episcopal Churches:
Built in the Township of Lake View
 photos - Art Institute of Chicago

A Thanksgiving tale in 1898
(click to enlarge)

 photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - their website

photos - their website

photos - Steve Clarke via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
who donated the Russian iconic wall piece to the church
They once owned a Building on Broadway
3212 N Broadway (Evanston Avenue)
Apparently  St. Peter's held a respectable amount of property along Belmont and Broadway (once Evanston Avenue).
This new five-story brick Gothic style structure 
was to be a Hull House like settlement house but in 1910 
image below - Jeff Hamrick via LakeView Historical-Facebook
The building was reconfigured and is currently used as the
 Lake View Athletic Club
a 2012 service - per their website
2015 photo
Renovation Plans began in 2018
per a online conversation on their FB page in 2020
'We moved out of the building in 2018 to get started on the process of renovations. That was a long process of discernment, working with architects and now contractors. We're scheduling the beginning of construction now, and we will plan to reoccupy the building in 2021 (hopefully close to the middle of the year). We were also able to save quite a bit of money by moving out and holding our services on Wellington Ave. Church of Christ - in their basement while we decided how to move forward with our own building.'
The rectory was sold in 2018 to be privately developed
the floor plans
The fa├žade remains but for the interior ...
Request for assistance in 2020
Built in the Township of Lake View
Community of Ravenswood
image - Chuckman Collection
also mentioned later in this post under
'The Churches Made of Wood'
Built in 1884 survived two fires & a demolition attempt. 
This church is the oldest wooden framed/beamed 
church in Chicago
This 1887 Sanborn Fire Insurance with X marks the spot
To the right/west is the Chicago Northwestern RR 
 Read more about congregation's history and renovation.
The Renovation began 2014
(their Facebook page)


the original naive 
photo - The 1883 Project on Facebook
Built in the City of Lake View

photo - Chicago Sojourn
2000 photo - De Paul University Digital Collection 

photo - Chicago Sojourn

 photo - Chicago Sojourn

photo - Chicago Sojourn
The congregation formed after $500 was spent converting a barn into a small church to serve Chicago’s north side Episcopalians.  When the congregation grew, a small wood-frame church was completed in 1869 at the intersection of Lincoln, Belden and Orchard.  It served as a refuge for victims of the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. The current site of Church of Our Savior was completed in 1888. The parish hall building was already at 530 Fullerton Parkway and had served the Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church.

Post Notes:
This post is part of a 6 part series of blog posts about 'Houses of Worship' according to faith. Most Houses of Worship have attached schools on their private property that I may or may not be highlight in any of these posts. These following posts only briefly narrate a particular institution and 'pray' I did not forget one.
The following are a complete list of posts related to 
Houses of Worship:

Read the earliest accounts of the churches of old Lake View 1884 from historian Theodore Andreas that is not covered in this series of post about the 'Houses of Worship' from page 722.
Read the list of all types of churches as of 1905:

Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!

No comments: