Presbyterians have been active in Chicago since the city’s beginning. The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1833, before Chicago was officially incorporated. Early Presbyterians met in a carpenter shop inside Fort Dearborn. Presbyterian minister Jeremiah Porter wrote that Sabbath in the fort was “most shamefully abused” and that there were twenty stores and groceries “dealing out liquid death” (RG 425, First Presbyterian Church, Chicago, IL).
known currently as
The Chicago Northside Church of the Nazarene
1907 postcard - Chicago History in Postcards
both photos - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
image - The Congregationalist and Christian World 1903
postcard - Ebay