May 27, 2011

Worship: Catholic

These Houses of Worship were either constructed in the the Township of Lake View (1857-87), the City of Lake View (1887-89), or the District of Lake View (1889-1930)
Some Background 
Irish and German immigrants constituted much of the Catholic population during the City of Chicago (as well as the Township of Lake View) founding years. From 1844 to 1879, 22 territorial parishes mostly Irish - south-side and nine German parishes - north-side were established. After decades of creating geographically defined parishes (a horseshoe configuration from Cathedral of Holy Name) in the late nineteenth century the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago adopted "national" parishes to serve immigrant communities.
Old St. Henry's Catholic Church 
6325 N Hoyne Avenue
The area was once called
Township of Ridgeville 1850-57
(Lake View & Evanston Townships)
enlargement - Newberry Library via Explore Chicago
An Account of the Parish 1884 
by A.T. Andreas
"In 1842 the first Catholic settlers arrived in the vicinity of Rose Hill and in 1850 were gathered together in the form of a little society by Rev H Fortmarin resident pastor of St Joseph's Church Gross Point. The few families which then comprised the congregation had been worshiping in the house of Peter Schmitt. At first they met irregularly whenever any of the pioneer priests of Chicago could find time to attend afterward at stated periods. Among those who had care of souls in these early times of St Henry's Parish were Rev Fathers Fortmann Kopp and Kremer from Gross Point. When Father Fortmann came in 1850 preparations were made to erect a church building which was done during this year. In the beginning of March 1863 the Redemptorist Fathers who had been called to St Michael's Church Chicago by Rt Rev Bishop Dungan took charge of St Henry's Parish attending it every second Sunday. The first one of the Fathers who was detailed for this work was the Rev Jacob Nageh who found it necessary to enlarge the church edifice to more than twice its original size. In July 1864 he was called elsewhere and St Henry s Parish was successively served by Rev. Fathers Hahn Majerus Scheffler and Fimmer all of St Michael's Church. About New Year's Day of 1867 the people of 
St Henry's which was then a parish of about sixty families welcomed their first resident pastor in the person of Rev. Edward Haemers. He was succeeded in March 1870 by Rev. J.A. Marschall who after a period of only six months made place in October 1870 for Rev. Andrew Michel Father Michel [who] remained until the 6th of January 1873 when he was removed to Lincoln Logan County. In the month of February his successor the Rev Henry Wagner took charge. He found the people of St Henry's willing and anxious to make improvements and during his short stay succeeded in erecting a new church and transforming the old structure into a school building. On the 15th of September 1875 he was transferred to Mendota LaSalle County and the pastor at that point. The Rev. C.J. Niederberger took charge of St Henry's Parish. His principal merit consists in having reduced the debts of the parish by $4,000 within the short space of three years and eight months. In May 1879 he resigned. The pulpit remained vacant for two months when Rev. A.J. Thiele the present incumbent was appointed to the charge. The present condition of St Henry's Parish is in marked contrast with the feeble society founded in 1850. It has now a congregation of two hundred and fifty families with 1,400 souls. It owns five acres of valuable real estate for church school parsonage and cemetery purposes and the structure in which the prosperous and growing society worship although frame is spacious and elegantly furnished and frescoed. The parish also possesses a fine brick school house containing four school rooms and exhibition hall and it is probable that a fine and substantial parochial residence will be erected."
photo by Jean Ensch (1983)
One of the oldest churches in the City of Chicago as well as the Township of Lake View was Blessed Stepinac Croatian Catholic Mission originally called St. Henry's German Catholic Church. This congregation has had 'nine lives' since its' dedication in 1852 when the 'starter' township was called Ridgeville (1850-1857) and later Lake View Township (1857-1887) and then City of Lake View (1887-1889) ... and then District of Lake View (1889 - 1930ish) and then finally in the West Ridge neighborhood of Chicago. This Catholic tradition began in 1851 when a small frame structure (photo) was built for a small population of Luxenburgers (mostly German-speaking) from Europe (read and view more about these immigrants in my post called Major Ethnic Groups). 
The church had a story that is related historical and geographically to Angel Guardian Orphanage ...
(originally a German private social service organization between several other German populated churches located on the northside of Chicago between the years 1877-1968). 
1894 Sanborn Fire Map of the parish area
with Angel Guardian Orphanage down a block a piece
Church Road=Devon Avenue
photo - the 49th Ward blog
This parish has one of the last remaining church-yards in the City of Chicago built in 1863 during time of our Civil War. 
The Lake View Township as of 1862 - W.L. Flower Map
The church was located near the communities
 of Rose Hill as well as HenryTown
Devon Avenue in the 1920's with St. Henry's 
in the very faint background
A 1988 article that indicates the link between old St. Henry's and Angel Guardian Orphanage and the death of its pastor
Old St. Henry's has had not only a geographically journey but a building evolution. The church has had 3 other building
re-incarnations since 1851 with the last current one photographed below. In 1928 the Arch Bishop of Chicago gave the 3rd church to Angel Guardian Orphanage (scroll down) and were not too happy about it. By the mid 1970's the congregation had evolved to meet the needs of a Croatian community in the north-side.
photo - Chicago Patterns with a testimonial
St. Alphonsus Parish
1429 W Wellington Avenue
2016 photos - Chris Cullen
image - The City on the Move 
page image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
Architecture at its Best
(click to enlarge article below)
 page 2
postcard - Chuckman Collection
The parish in 1889 registered more than 800 families.  It was imperative to design plans to build a larger church and school to accommodate the increasing numbers and provide for present and future needs. In 1889, the year of township annexation, ground was broken for the new church. Apparently, curious spectators watched as the excavation sank to a depth of 15 feet to firm clay bottom where huge foundation stones were set to sustain the buttressed walls, weighty pillars and lofty tower.Finally, four months later, the cornerstone was successfully laid.The dedication ceremony occurred on October 3, 1897, the dedication of the building was performed by Archbishop Feehan, joined by 30 priests.
 Chicago History in Postcards
St. Alphonsus School - girl's section
1909 photo - St. Alphonsus website
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
postcard image - Ebay
Join the conversation on LakeView Historical-Facebook
postcard manufactured with a linen surface by Cert Teich & Co. once located in Lake View on the southeast corner of Irving Park Road & East Ravenswood Avenue 
photo - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
My thanks to Lance Grey for this video footage
page image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
On Monday, October 23, 1950 at midday, the fire broke out (series of 5 photos). Father Joseph Hahn was the pastor at that time. He had just installed the main altar and had completed the redecoration of the church interior. A group of workmen were engaged in the process of replacing the old roof with a new one". Watch this video of the aftermath of this fire on YouTube - my thanks to Lance Grey for this mention.
 photos - Jeff DeLong via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
this fire included the Athenaeum Theatre
photos - Jeff DeLong
Director of Marketing & Development 
at the Athenaeum Theatre
the church was always a meeting place 
photo - Chicago: City of Neighborhoods and
according to LVH contributor Elizabeth Semerling pre-1951
1989 photo - Robert Krueger via Chicago Public Library
St. Alphonsus Church interior - 2012
Pinterest contributor Arleen Murphy Sandrick
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
photo - Lake View Patch 2012
 photo - Lake View Patch 2012
photo - Lake View Patch 2012 
apparently the church was located on Wellington near Wilton (Bluecher Avenue) by 1894 along with several others in the general area that included from right to left - 3rd Reformed German Methodist Evangelical, Centennial German Methodist all along Wellington Avenue (last church is LoMC) and the Swedish Methodist Evangelical on Barry Avenue (Noble) while the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel school was located on Belmont that same year.
 1894 Sanborn Fire Map highlights only the school/academy
 1923 Sanborn Fire Map highlights 
both the school and the church are located on Belmont Ave.
1950 Sanborn Fire Map highlights improvements since 1923
 
 
Christmas 2015 - photos their Facebook page
Detail of exterior
 lumierefl Flickr via Grace Ray - Pinterest
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht 
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
date unknown
In 1887, Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the City of Lake View this congregation was founded as the mother parish of all the English-speaking Catholic congregations of the north sideFather Patrick O'Brien was the founding pastor who built the first church at Wellington near Sheffield. In 1888 the Mount Carmel Academy was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in our present Casey Hall building. By 1913, the present Indiana limestone church structure was built in a English Tudor Gothic style.
The 25th Year in 1938
 photo - 'Lake View' by Matthew Nickerson
unknown date
photo - 'Lake View' by Matthew Nickerson
unknown date
1957 photo - their Facebook page
1960 photo  - 'Lake View' by Matthew Nickerson
Renovation image of the interior below in 2011

2013  Winners 
of the U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Award 
2014 The congregation celebrates 125 years young with photos of the celebration for their Facebook page. View more photos on this parish on their Flickr page.
2016 photo - Garry Albrecht
St. Bonaventure Church

In the 19th century the reality of jobs at companies like the Northwestern Terra Cotta Works, the Deering Works of International Harvester and Stewart-Warner Corporation attracted many immigrant workers, farmers, skilled tradesmen and the like to the growing Lake View Community.  It seemed feasible to place a new English speaking church (St. Bonaventure) near Diversy Parkway and Ashland Avenue between St. Alphonsus, a German speaking church and St. Josaphat, a Polish-Kashubian churchThe parish was officially established on October 11, 1911. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Rhode on August 18, 1912. The main entrance is flanked by two towers that enclose stairways leading up to a low choir loft. The worship space occupies the whole main floor. Corner stairways continue up to classrooms whose windows clearly delineate a separate level when viewed from the street. I could see children's art projects in those windows. The worship space has the original pews and stained glass, but the sanctuary and altar have that stripped-bare, post-Vatican II look.
St. Sebastian Church
once located on two locations along Wellington 
1887-1989
In 1915 the church was moved physical down Wellington Avenue away away from the elevated tracks according to a Facebook testimony to its new location at 927 Wellington Avenue with is now the property of the Illinois Masonic Hospital per Advocated Hospitals.
Photo above is of a not amused Mrs. Frank Warneke and her father William Krause, who owned of the first business in Lake View Township, The Krause Music Store listed as a historical landmark. Both of them were standing in front of her house at 854 West Wellington Avenue watching their ash tree be cut down by 'house movers' so that Saint Sebastian building could be moved down the street.
1923 Sanborn Fire Map depicting the church and school as well as Illinois Masonic Hospital 
and Chicago Gospel Tabernacle
Florence Avene = Dayton Street
The church was the meeting place for the establishment of the Lake View Police Community Relations Committee a possible forerunner to present day CAPS program per this 172 article below....
1977 - The Roman Catholic Gay Organization called Dignity held its first international convention at St. Sebastian.
Thanks to Art Colletta's contributor to Forgotten Chicago on Facebook for this great photo!
1989 - The church was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. The school closed in 1990. The article below tells that tale.
School in doubt in 1989
This church was the home of a 31 years of an old theater group that took its name from Saint Sebastian Catholic Church. The parish is gone but the theatre group remains.  
It is called St. Sebastian Players
Saint Andrews Church
3546 N Paulina Avenue
image - 'Lake View' by Matt Nickerson
1913 photo - Newberry Library via Explore Chicago
photo - St. Andrew's website
An Anniversary 1969
 
 

1961 photos - Keith Banaszak Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Saint Andrew Parish began in 1894, just one year after the annexation of the City of Lake View in 1889 to the City of Chicago. On October 12, 1894, in response to requests by some 100 English-speaking area residents, Archbishop Patrick Feehan assigned Reverend Andrew Croke to establish Saint Andrew Parish. The first Mass celebrated by the fledgling community was held in a hall above a saloon at the corner of Roscoe and Lincoln Avenue. The first church, a simple wooden structure, was built at Addison and Paulina Streets in 1894 and opened its doors for Mass on Christmas Day, 1895.  The church was dedicated on January 6, 1896.
When the Pastor was Arrested 1970
 page 2
2015 photo - their Facebook page
View and listen to a video of the latest addition 
to the building as of 2015
St. Andrew's Golden Gloves
photographer Carl Lydia
photos - UIC via Explore Chicago Collection 2000
Our Lady of Loudes
4640 N Ashland Avenue
District of Lake View
community of Ravenswood
the original church above
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
the interior of the original church below
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
Sanborn Fire Maps 1894
west of Ashland Avenue  
indicates the location of the original church
vacant property east of Ashland Avenue 
 1905 group photo
Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
1920's photo above
 both photos - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
1920's photo below

Sanborn Fire Maps 1928
a year before the move across the street
west of Ashland

east of Ashland

the second church east of Ashland Avenue
Our Lady of Lourdes parish was established in 1892. The original parish territory extended east to Lake Michigan and from Wellington Avenue to Devon Avenue. Originally, the church was a wood frame building with a bell tower on the west side of Ashland Avenue. This was replaced by the current Spanish Renaissance style church in 1916 on the east side of Ashland Avenue.
The Move West ...
In 1929 the city of Chicago and the parish made the decision to move the entire church (video) to the west side of Ashland. After being moved, the church was also turned around and lengthened at that same time. The church weighed in at 10,000 tons and it was moved at “A foot a minute”. 
 all photos above 
This amazing engineering accomplishment (video) continues to draw attention to this day. This feat was accomplished by a firm called Crowe Construction Management that is still in operation as of 2015. The elementary school operated from 1903 to 2004 - text from their history section of their website
After the Move ...
Sanborn Fire Maps 1950
West of Ashland
 East of Ashland

photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
Interior Views
by Eric Allix Roger

Convent of the Sacred Heart 
Preparatory School
1907-1920's
3540 Pine Grove Avenue
Their mission is inspired by the spiritual ideal and work of St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, who first articulated her educational vision in 1800. Not only did she seek to give youth an exceptional academic foundation, but also she hoped that the education in her schools would be profound enough to inspire students to rebuild, renew, and transform society wherever they lived. Today, this mission continues on 6250 Sheridan Road and in all 22 Sacred Heart Network schools across the United States as well as many more around the world. 
In 1907, the religious purchased twin houses on Pine Grove Avenue, only blocks from Lake Michigan and within walking distance of Wrigley Field.
Primarily, this school was dedicated for the education of the wealthiest Catholic girls in Chicago, preparing them for leadership roles for the 'voice for the voiceless'.
1923 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map (school is center)
St. Clements Church
District of Lake View 1905
642 W Deming Place
It began with a letter ....
1923 Sanborn Fire Map highlights the parish church
 
 
 
1930 photos - Fr. Ramil E. Fajardo
 via Forgotten Chicago on Facebook
A Catholic High School:
District of Lake View: Community of Buena Park
photo - Chicago History in Postcards
1923 Sanborn Fire Map highlights the property
 photo - Ali Khalil via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
photo - Ali Khalil via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Ali Khalil via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
 photo - Ali Khalil via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
photo - Ali Khalil via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
Lycée Français de Chicago once rented space from the newer owners of the old high school American Islamic College from 1995 - 2015. 
The Original Building
photo - Chuckman Collections
photo - Art Institute of Chicago
Established by 1891, the school was a centralized girls' high school with 235 students enrolled in classes led by 12 members of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary originally at the Ralph Greenlee Mansion. 
notice the existing shoreline
Graceland Avenue=Irving Park Road
photo - 'Our Family Tree Tale'
Queen of Angels
2330 W Sunnyside Avenue
Parish church in the distance from the gazebo - Welles Park
photo - Pinterest
1988 photo of the rectory next to church near Welles Park
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection

unknown date
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
photo - Ravenswood-Lake View Community Collection
St. Mary at the Lake
1026 W Buena Avenue
Neighborhood of Uptown
Community of Buena Park
Facebook
photo - Brnyrk
photo - Chicago Wedding Ceremony
This parish was established when Lake View was a referred to as a 'district' of Chicago (annexed 1889) and comprised in the territory known as Buena Park - was bounded by the lake on the east and by the following streets: on the north by Wilson Avenue; on the west by Racine, Clark, and the east line of Graceland Cemetery; and on the south by Waveland Avenue. When this parish was established in 1901, Buena Park was sparsely populated and the lakeshore only reached as far west as Sheridan Road.
Sanborn Fire Map 1894
what the area looked like without the church and school
The Northwestern surface railroad had a station west on Buena Avenue (time before the elevated)
Sanborn Fire Map 1928
a lot of development in 27 years
The Northwestern Elevated & surface (redline) had a expanded station just west of the park on Buena Avenue
the interior views
 photo - Theughfull
above and below photos - Theughfull 
photo below - Nishan P via Yelp
Brubaker, C. William, 1975
Explore Chicago Collection via University of Chicago 
photo - their website

Post Notes:
This post is part of a 6 part series of blog posts about 
'Houses of Worship' according to faith. Most Houses of Worship have attached schools on their private property that I may or may not be highlight in any of these posts. These following posts only briefly narrate a particular institution and 'pray' I did not forget one.
The following are a complete list of posts related to 
Houses of Worship:

 Read the list of all types of churches as of 1905:


Important Note:
These posts are exclusively used for educational purposes. I do not wish to gain monetary profit from this blog nor should anyone else without permission for the original source - thanks!

Post a Comment