The Mason Rock
a then apparent parking lot along the lakefront, view north
The original Waveland Underpass is flooded
protesting a 2 dollar fee to use the courts in 1972
photo above - Calumet 412
The fieldhouse provided park patrons with shower, locker and rest rooms, club and craft rooms. A separate small refreshment stand building, also designed by Edwin H. Clark, was originally operated by the Brauer Co. While the field house was being designed, the Commissioners received a $50,000 bequest for the carillon towner from the estate of Mrs. Annie M. Wolforth, who died in 1926. The donation was made in memory of her husband, Jacob A. Wolforth, member of the Chicago Board of Trade for forty years. The Wolforths had enjoyed the chimes of a bell tower in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and wanted Chicago to have a similar carillon. The seven story tower was incorporated into the fieldhouse design, and for several years the chimes were played daily at regular intervals. This proved to be disruptive to the surrounding community, however, and was eventually discontinued. In 1990, a group of volunteers worked with the Chicago Park District to restore the carillon. - HMdb.org - historical marker database
The 1,250-square-foot facility, 3701 N. Recreation Drive, will house a learning center, lounge and golf simulator open to all kids and teens enrolled in First Tee throughout the year. It will also have outdoor areas designated for putting, full-swing and short game practice. The first phase of this project, which includes the indoor facility, is expected to be finished in the spring with the program starting this May, said Lea Jesse, CEO of First Tee Greater Chicago. The second phase of the project will include building outdoor playing areas designed for putting, full-swing golf and short-game practice, Jesse said. It was designed in collaboration with PGA Tour player Luke Donald and golf course architects Lohmann Quitno. Construction on the project’s second phase will begin this summer [of 2021], Jesse said. - Block Club Chicago
According to Wikipedia, Bill Jarvis Migratory Bird Sanctuary, formerly Lincoln Park Addison Migratory Bird Sanctuary. First landscaped and constructed with limited public access in the 1920’s, under the leadership of the Chicago Academy of Sciences. Most of its 7-acre (2.8 ha) area is entirely fenced around to preserve the habitat from acessive human encroachment. Instead, a nature trail and a viewing platform are at its surrounding perimeter. During the 1940’s, the park district caretakers lost funding and the site was padlocked. In 1968, the entire site was almost bulldozed for golf course development but its Lake View residents of the area, including Bill Jarvis, led a successful campaign to save and restore it. Today it hosts more than 150 species of birds, including six species of herons, like the black crowned night heron; wood ducks; woodcock; hawks; yellow-billed cuckoos; hummingbirds; thrushes; vireos; 34 species of warblers; and 18 native species of sparrows. In addition, small mammals such as rabbit, opossum, raccoon, and occasionally fox and coyote make their home there.
photo - DNAinfo
The Chicago Tribune articles below tell a story of a donation to Chicago Park District that would later become an epicenter of Native American protest at this site and along the Belmont Harbor.
via Forgotten Chicago-Facebook
photo - Alderman Cappleman's 46th ward website
The Noble Horse Company on Orleans Street was built as a stable in 1871 and renovated in 1922 to include a riding academy. In 1997, developers wanted to buy the land and move the stable out. Monica Rauschenbach, the manager and horse owner, brushes out her horse, Odie on May 14, 1997. Noble Horse Co. was the last riding stable in Chicago and now is operated as Noble Horse Theatre. - Bill Hogan, Chicago Tribune
New Parkway Riding Stables, was once located at 2153 N Clark Street, furnished horses for rides in the park and taught classes. This stable had been in business since the 1890's and still sent out some 600 riders every weekend to Lincoln Park in 1966. New Parkway was the last publicly used a city-operated stable. It closed in October, 1967.
As cooperating agencies, the City of Chicago and the Chicago Park District worked with the Chicago District Army Corps of Engineers on the Feasibility Study which was used to determine that Federal assistance should be provided to protect the shores of Lake Michigan from future storm damage and erosion. The final Feasibility Report and recommended plan for reconstruction was presented by the Army Corps of Engineers to Congress in 1994. From this report, the eight most critical miles of the lakefront were designated for reconstruction.
The project areas are broken up into "reaches," each reach encompassing different sections of the shoreline. They are:
Reach 2-step stone revetment reconstruction in the area from Montrose to Fullerton Avenue
Reach 2F-breakwater and beach nourishment at Fullerton Avenue to prevent flooding of the Fullerton Avenue exit and entrance ramps to Lake Shore Drive
Reach 3-step stone revetment reconstruction at Solidarity Drive
Reach 3M-revetment reconstruction along east and south sides of the apron of Meigs Field Airport
Reach 4-step stone revetment reconstruction from 23rd Street to 57th Street alongside Lake Shore Drive
Reach 5-breakwater reconstruction protecting the South Water Purification Plant
The Belmont to Diversey South project consists of the reconstruction of 1,100 linear feet of shoreline. Improvements will include the construction of steel sheet pile and concrete revetment, use of IHPA-approved concrete texture formliners, drainage and landscaping improvements, and a raised toe berm. Reuse of the community dubbed “art-stone” as a landscaping/architectural detail is under evaluation. The construction cost of this project was $11.1 million. Contracts on this project was administered by USACE. The ITR was completed on 23 April 2002 and construction was completed in 2008.
The Irving Park Road to Belmont Avenue project consisted of the reconstruction of 4,000 linear feet of shoreline. Improvements include the construction of steel sheet pile and concrete revetment. Contracts on this project were administered by USACE. The construction cost of the project was $15.6 million and was completed in summer 2002. The ITR was completed on 4 August 1999 and construction was completed in 2001.
The Belmont Harbor Peninsula project consisted of the reconstruction of 1,000 linear feet of shoreline. Improvements included the construction of steel sheet pile and concrete revetment. The construction cost of this project was $5 million. Contracts on this project were administered by the DOT and CPD. The project was completed in 1999.
The Belmont to Diversey North project consists of the reconstruction of 1,700 linear feet of shoreline. The contract on this project was administered by USACE. The construction cost of the project was $10.5 million and was completed in summer 2004.
The Diversey to Fullerton project consisted of the reconstruction of 2,300 linear feet of shoreline. Improvements included the construction of steel sheet pile and concrete revetment, new park creation by land expansion into the Lake, a new lakefront trail, and landscaping and drainage improvements. The construction cost of this project was $17.2 million. The contract on this project was administered by USACE. Construction was completed in July 2005.
About the name Change
The only tennis court left in Chicago with a clay playing field
an aerial view